Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Rates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know that sometimes it's complicated. But in this case I just don't see how it is. 50% residual and high money factor vs 1.9-2.9 rates on 60 to 72 months financing. Or 1.29-1.59 ish on 36 month. I understand the tax and write off opportunities for business, but for this car I'm just not sure how the math gets you there...
Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you checked with your insurance company on this? When I was considering a prepay, I checked with mine and they told me specifically that prepaying lease rental fees leaves me exposed financially if the car were to be a total loss as they would only cover any out of pocket expenses to walk away from the lease (not repayment of any future lease payments).

Different insurers may vary.

Originally Posted by 991RDC
It doesn't matter what you put down, your insurance company should cover the total appraised value of the car, mileage, year and so on. Regardless of a one pay lease or if you finance with a large down payment. They are all basically rentals until you have the pink. I saved a little money doing the one pay vs. large monthly payments on a 24 month lease. This is what my insurance company covers in the unfortunate event of a totaled car.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 758 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Have you checked with your insurance company on this? When I was considering a prepay, I checked with mine and they told me specifically that prepaying lease rental fees leaves me exposed financially if the car were to be a total loss as they would only cover any out of pocket expenses to walk away from the lease (not repayment of any future lease payments).

Most insurance companies pay ACV (actual cash value) on the car whether you owe a dollar or 100k... the monies owed or paid back are based on what the balance is versus the ACV number.

What insurance company do you have?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

That would make sense. I don't recall exactly what insurance company I had at the time I checked, but it was probably AAA. I may just have to check with the again now that I'm curious!

Originally Posted by vic55
Most insurance companies pay ACV (actual cash value) on the car whether you owe a dollar or 100k... the monies owed or paid back are based on what the balance is versus the ACV number.

What insurance company do you have?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys allow a dumb Brit to ask a U.S. financial question. Can you get other financial establishments to lease the car to you? In the same way you can shop around for a loan can you look to other companies other than Porsche financial to work a lease for you?
The beauty of a lease is that it allows you to drive a vehicle that you ordinarily wouldn't be able to afford but not sure if you have the option when leasing to shop around? Txs.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 AM
vic55
Racer

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Hey guys allow a dumb Brit to ask a U.S. financial question. Can you get other financial establishments to lease the car to you? In the same way you can shop around for a loan can you look to other companies other than Porsche financial to work a lease for you?
The beauty of a lease is that it allows you to drive a vehicle that you ordinarily wouldn't be able to afford but not sure if you have the option when leasing to shop around? Txs.
There are a few banks who lease daily commuter cars like Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc... US Bank, Chase (Jag's and Mazda captives as well) and few others but for the most part only the OEM's lease their own cars. Toyota Financial, American Honda, Nissan Motor Acceptance, MBFS, BMFS, PFS... and they dont cross pollinate via brands. Its almost impossible to get a non captive high line lessor but there are a few like Putnam, Premier, and Woodside but these are open ended lease banks so in effect the loans are really balloons because you are responsible for the buyout.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 AM
vic55
Racer

That would make sense. I don't recall exactly what insurance company I had at the time I checked, but it was probably AAA. I may just have to check with the again now that I'm curious!
I would think AAA would be under the ACV assessment--- shocking if not. How can they penalize you for prepay or even cash buys?
Old 12-31-2014, 01:59 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
There are a few banks who lease daily commuter cars like Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc... US Bank, Chase (Jag's and Mazda captives as well) and few others but for the most part only the OEM's lease their own cars. Toyota Financial, American Honda, Nissan Motor Acceptance, MBFS, BMFS, PFS... and they dont cross pollinate via brands. Its almost impossible to get a non captive high line lessor but there are a few like Putnam, Premier, and Woodside but these are open ended lease banks so in effect the loans are really balloons because you are responsible for the buyout.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I actually called my insurance broker yesterday to confirm that the car will be covered with a one pay lease for the complete appraised value or ACV if there were a total loss, and the answer was yes. If you are considering doing a one pay lease, I do think it's a good idea to check with your insurance company and make sure that you are covered. We have insurance that covers a fleet of trucks and cars, so maybe that's the difference, or some car insurance carriers like health insurance company's have limited exposure to what they'll cover.

Quick Reply: Current Rates?