Sponsored by:

Clear bra installation gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I would do anything possible not to end up painting! As hard as it is accepting the situation,I'd have to live with those tiny scratches rather than paint a new car. But make sure you have the clear bra shop compensate you for this mess!
This ^

I'll accept the original paint with a few minor scratches vs. a repaint. EASY. Leave well enough alone.

Thanks to the OP for the reminder on what can go wrong when due diligence takes a back seat to trusting the work of others.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd take it to a really good detailer and see if they can buff the scratches out. It will depend, of course, on how deep they are. But I've seen some detailers work miracles.

If that doesn't work, I personally would do the repaint. I understand the rationale of others for saying "don't repaint the car". But, for me personally, the scratches would drive me nuts. Fortunately I've found some exceptional painters in the classic car world that can usually blend in a repair that will be unnoticeable (and much less noticeable than the scratches). Bottom line, the roof probably won't be a 10 out of 10 any more. But it will be a 9.9 out of 10 versus considerably worse (IMO) if the scratches are left intact.

But that's just my $0.02. I think ultimately it will depend on which bothers you more. Slightly less than perfect factory paint or scratches. If you do decide to paint, make sure to do a lot of DD on the paint shops before choosing one. Like clear bra installers, some are much better than others.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

They kept my car overnight so they can check it out in the morning before handing it over to the customer.
This is common practice
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Good luck in getting this resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The installer is everything. I had some removed because it was bad but no paint damage on anther car. Years ago I found Premier. There prices are not cheap but you pay once and have an install that can not be detected and will last for years.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:53 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear about your bad install. Really do hope it turns out to your satisfaction.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:46 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

who was the installer of the OP?

i try not to ever have a dealer do installs, they rarely ever turn out well. i had to on my GT3 a couple of weeks ago when i picked up mine only because i had to drive 300 miles back home. i may have my installer redo the front end. its amazing when you look at the car the noticeable quality difference between the front and the rest of the car. its night and day.

jeff
Old 12-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Here is the update:

The car will require around $6k to be fixed. The bulk goes to replacing the headlights which were damaged by the razor blades while installing the stickers on them

I haven't made up my mind about painting yet but the scratches are a lot less visible after the detailing. You can barely notice them unless you know the car or know what it went through.

The dealer will only install new stickers on the back fenders. I decided not to install a clear bra on this car.

The quotation went to the shop that did this damage. Im waiting for their reply.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this was an Xpel job, then likely Xpel headquarters would appreciate knowing who the installer is, even if you don't want to tell us (even though the community here I'm sure would like to avoid this establishment).

Adam Millsap would be the one to contact... email amillsap@xpel.com , phone number 1800-447-9928.

Glad you're working towards a hopefully satisfying conclusion.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

FWIW,the gentleman stated a few posts back he's not in the US...
Old 12-24-2014, 04:21 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=1pvr;11901163]If this was an Xpel job, then likely Xpel headquarters would appreciate knowing who the installer is, even if you don't want to tell us (even though the community here I'm sure would like to avoid this establishment).

My guess is that he used Xpel film but didn't use their patterns. I have installed numerous kits on Porsches and I can tell you that the kits for Porsches fit perfectly every time. There is never a need to use a razor unless you are not very good at installing film and overstretch the film.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
It is not Xpel. It's an Asian brand (I think). Very popular in Asia, ME, Europe and South America. they do operate in US according to their website.
I am not planning on shaming them, especially if they work to rectify what they did to my car. Mistakes happen.
Thanks again for your messages guys.
Appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

I would be very surprised if the installer was willing to pay for replacement headlights.

Originally Posted by Hamad
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Here is the update:

The car will require around $6k to be fixed. The bulk goes to replacing the headlights which were damaged by the razor blades while installing the stickers on them

I haven't made up my mind about painting yet but the scratches are a lot less visible after the detailing. You can barely notice them unless you know the car or know what it went through.

The dealer will only install new stickers on the back fenders. I decided not to install a clear bra on this car.

The quotation went to the shop that did this damage. Im waiting for their reply.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Hamad,
The high ground is a good place to start. You know what you want.

Quick Reply: Clear bra installation gone wrong