Sponsored by:

Disposable Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disposable Car Covers

There have been postings before regarding indoor car covers. I thought I would post my answer to the need. I have had a lot of cars in the past and at any one time I have about a dozen cars to keep covered and clean. That always posses a problem for cover fit, washing, etc. My answer is disposable plastic car covers. They are typically used in auto paint shops for covering cars in prep work. They come in a roll of 25 covers and I usually use the small size (21') but they do come larger. The 21' size is quite adequate for all of our modern cars. Any extra length with the fit I just gather at the end of the car and stuff it into a convenient spot/hole to secure - the covers are sealed at each end forming a bag. There is also a dispenser/roller available for easy dispensing from the roll, just roll out one cover, tear at the perforated end and spread it on the car and secure. I have tried every type of cover material and they all have one issue or another. I don't like the tight expand-o fit covers as that means I have to stretch it over the cars paint surface - though they are soft I just don't like the idea of stretching it over the paint. All of the fabric covers will harbor dust so they need to be washed regularly and that is a hassle. When I get a new car, then it is off to search for a new custom car cover. The one size fits all disposable plastic cover solves that problem. I have been using them for 20 years and the answer is great. For those totally OCD you can put the plastic over a regular fabric car cover to keep the dust out of that cover and reduce the frequency of washing the traditional fabric cover. The covers and dispenser are available on line from a number of vendors.
Attached Images     

Last edited by GregJGT3; 12-20-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: remove personal address in image
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Great idea. Was just thinking about putting plastic over my fabric one. Cover to protect the cover! Ha ha.

OCD yes, but the last thing I want is to wash a huge fabric cover!

If the car is clean, the plastic like you've done is very economical and a simple solution.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that is a brilliant idea. And another plus, one can see the car through them. Thanks for sharing this bit of info.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Interesting idea. Supposedly having a cover that that doesn't breathe can be an issue. For longer storage periods, or in a humid environment, have you experienced any problems with moisture being trapped under the cover?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting idea. Supposedly having a cover that that doesn't breathe can be an issue. For longer storage periods, or in a humid environment, have you experienced any problems with moisture being trapped under the cover?
I'm in Southern California so climate is pretty moderate for humidity. But the whole bottom of the car is open and allows air flow. I use them year round and all types of temperatures from freezing to 115 F. I have never had a breathing problem. Basically the cover just keeps the dust off.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

yep
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 12:25 AM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's a great idea.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
I'm in Southern California so climate is pretty moderate for humidity. But the whole bottom of the car is open and allows air flow. I use them year round and all types of temperatures from freezing to 115 F. I have never had a breathing problem. Basically the cover just keeps the dust off.
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Zoomer14
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to order/pickup a box of the covers (25 per box), do you know where they are available retail wise? On their website it states Ace hardware, but local shop here does not carry.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

It has been awhile since I ordered as I ordered several boxes at one time. I included the cover of the box so anyone could have the exact brand and size and then Google the reference, that is what I did last order time. I found trying to buy at retail store like an auto paint supply store was very expensive and I wasn't getting the same brand which meant differences in product I didn't want. I would just google and search the results for the best price.

Last edited by GregJGT3; 12-21-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

One source example:

http://www.redhillsupply.com/paint-and-body-equip-supplies/l/plastic_sheeting_and_car_covers/fibreglass_evercoat.htm

I think is is about what I paid for the product
Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I am in the plastic film business. My only concern would be breathability and some other things. I will get back with more details from my Tech. guys.

I am assuming this is Polyethylene film??. Also find out if it is a monolayer film or coextruded and what types of resin.

All these details are important before I would wrap my cars in plastic. Plus, need to know if they have any additives such as slip ect because some times these things migrate and could possibly cause issues
Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

http://r.ebay.com/gBIZH9 I've used these as a temp solution. The large size fits perfect on my 997.2 RS.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:25 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am in the plastic film business. My only concern would be breathability and some other things. I will get back with more details from my Tech. guys.

I am assuming this is Polyethylene film??. Also find out if it is a monolayer film or coextruded and what types of resin.

All these details are important before I would wrap my cars in plastic. Plus, need to know if they have any additives such as slip ect because some times these things migrate and could possibly cause issues
You probably know more about this than you should ;-). I have used these exact same covers for 20 years and the cars stay covered for months at at time, through various temperature conditions. I have never had an issue with surface of the paint or plating. I am not "wrapping" the car in the material - nothing is adhered to the surface, there is no gather of the material under the car. The whole bottom of the car is open and air flow is up under the car and beneath the plastic cover. I can understand your concerns if the material was adhered to the surface or somehow the "bag" was sealed but it isn't in the way I use the application. I normally pull it only tight enough for general fit so that there is not much really laying on the covered surface... like the pictures show. Regarding"migrating" chemicals in the material, this product (nylex) is designed to be on a painted surface for a time period and part of a masking procedure for paint shops. I am not enough of a plastics expert to verify but I would assume that the product has to be very paint friendly if it was designed for that purpose. I understand what you are saying, but from a practical application view I have found no play in those concerns.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

No doubt the key is that the covers are placed loosely on the car, there is adequate ventilation from underneath, and most important, they aren't outside or exposed to extreme temperature variation. I just know that cars that are kept in those conditions, under tighter fitting non-breathable covers or plastic, can have a problem with trapped moisture. Different situation here...

Quick Reply: Disposable Car Covers