Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh dealer emailed me-Got the stupid Dunflops!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you boy's are now getting along.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Note to self: never buy a car from this person.
Like you'd ever know the difference. Everyone, both the 3k mile obsessive break-in people, to the one tank people, will tell you exactly what you want to hear. And the only one you could trust is mike in ca but he won't sell the car. So, either don't buy a used car or you're outta luck
Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Certainly know that. My point is that in its program of personalization Porsche would be smart to give its clients tire choice. Are tires more important than say a footwell net? Or a smoker's package? I think it certainly is a lot more important. That being the case why not be given the choice on the tires?
Because then they would brand them "Porsche" tires, you would get a choice of what color the writing is on the sidewall (red would be $1000 extra) and they would charge 5x the price for them. Then, we would bitch about that absurdity too. Pick your poison.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm very happy that Porsche is switching it up and contracting with different manufacturers for tires now. I've owned other cars in the past when you have exactly 1 tire option in specific sizes only for that car - not even a manufacturer rated issue, but only 1 tire available. I didn't like the tires so sold the car after 900 miles...

I would rather as much development money being spent on tires as possible.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Can you get deviated stitching on the sidewalls of either the Dunlops or the Michelins? I am trying to finalize my order and that is important to me.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Can you get deviated stitching on the sidewalls of either the Dunlops or the Michelins? I am trying to finalize my order and that is important to me.
I'm glad someone else was thinking this too!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:08 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just received my GT3 - Dunlops for me as well.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
Which sidewall tire look do you prefer if all else is equal and you had a choice, Lodi?

I was/am disappointed that I'm getting Dunlops, not from a performance concern, but how the car looks with the less rounded profile tire compared to the Michy's. To me, overall appearance is rather important when I'm spending this kind of gelt. It's part of the whole package. I'm not concerned at all about wear or performance with the Dunlops; Porsche would not degrade tire performance from another OEM supplied tire but they may not care/realize that "looks" DO matter to some people. In my case, anyway and I have a feeling others too. Perhaps not. Call me crazy!! If I track this car once a year, it'll be a lot.

Those who don't care about how the Dunlops look but are upset that the tire could be a poorer performing tire in all aspects as compared to the Michy's have absolutely nothing to worry about. I just don't like how they look...
Ken, certainly performance is my top consideration, and to that extent I feel confident that the Dunlops are a great match for the GT3. With regard to aesthetics, I would probably prefer the straight sidewalls of the Michelins, but not by much. I really don't find the Dunlops aesthetically displeasing. That was the point of my post. I wanted to let folks know that the Dunlops look great on this car. Honestly, I haven't even thought about them since I picked up the beast two weeks ago, and I was initially concerned about having these tires. My guess is that most will be happy once they see the total package. If some feel that the Dunlops compromise the aesthetics of their new GT3 then they should certainly consider changing them out. After waiting months and spending +/- $150K its worth another $2k to be 100% satisfied. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris Harris had the dunlops on his first drive of the GT3. He seemed to like them.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche must have got a big run of Dunlops in. My October build has them too.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had October build silver wheels has Cup2's
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Like you'd ever know the difference. Everyone, both the 3k mile obsessive break-in people, to the one tank people, will tell you exactly what you want to hear. And the only one you could trust is mike in ca but he won't sell the car. So, either don't buy a used car or you're outta luck
Obviously if the seller lied or purposely withheld, what I felt pertinent, I wouldnt know the difference. What's your point? If selling, I fully disclose. Buyer like, buyer buys. Buyer dislikes, buyer walks. All good.

Sorry if you don't prefer my sense of humor. Thoughts about painting wheels black?

Last edited by 911dev; 11-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

October with Sport Cups here too. Seems pretty random.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lodi
Ken, certainly performance is my top consideration, and to that extent I feel confident that the Dunlops are a great match for the GT3. With regard to aesthetics, I would probably prefer the straight sidewalls of the Michelins, but not by much. I really don't find the Dunlops aesthetically displeasing. That was the point of my post. I wanted to let folks know that the Dunlops look great on this car. Honestly, I haven't even thought about them since I picked up the beast two weeks ago, and I was initially concerned about having these tires. My guess is that most will be happy once they see the total package. If some feel that the Dunlops compromise the aesthetics of their new GT3 then they should certainly consider changing them out. After waiting months and spending +/- $150K its worth another $2k to be 100% satisfied. Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
Thanks!
My 2015 came with Dunlop's I told my dealer I was disappointed they switched them and gave me Michelin's.
As never hurts to ask.

Quick Reply: Ugh dealer emailed me-Got the stupid Dunflops!