Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh dealer emailed me-Got the stupid Dunflops!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 05:22 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

deleted
Old 11-30-2014, 05:24 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Rosenbergendo, fully agree w/u. A new configured GT3 is not like buying off the rack outlet store remnants. Maybe Porsche should include tire choice in the configurator. I would bet Michelin gets the lion's share. My car should be right in there with the next batch delivered to FL. given the vin# thrown around i have to think that mine will also have Dunlops. At this stage my car seems to have hit some massive black hole somewhere. Tomorrow it will be three weeks that it went v331 and the system still shows nothing more.
A configured GT3 dies not indicate tires of choice. We all know it's random.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:35 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lodi
My car was delivered with Dunlops. I wouldn't sweat it too much. The Dunlops have a different shape sidewall but they look very good on the car. I cannot compare performance to the Michelins, but I can tell you that the Dunlops have tons of grip. When the tires are hot they are downright sticky. I wanted the Michelins as well, but about two seconds after delivery I really didn't care. Hope this helps!
Which sidewall tire look do you prefer if all else is equal and you had a choice, Lodi?

I was/am disappointed that I'm getting Dunlops, not from a performance concern, but how the car looks with the less rounded profile tire compared to the Michy's. To me, overall appearance is rather important when I'm spending this kind of gelt. It's part of the whole package. I'm not concerned at all about wear or performance with the Dunlops; Porsche would not degrade tire performance from another OEM supplied tire but they may not care/realize that "looks" DO matter to some people. In my case, anyway and I have a feeling others too. Perhaps not. Call me crazy!! If I track this car once a year, it'll be a lot.

Those who don't care about how the Dunlops look but are upset that the tire could be a poorer performing tire in all aspects as compared to the Michy's have absolutely nothing to worry about. I just don't like how they look...
Old 11-30-2014, 06:03 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Garabet
I'm so tired about this subject and the subject about breaking who the hell cares what the Better tire is or the right way to break in a car. I'll be in and out of this car in a year and get in the to so I really don't give a crap how I brake it in . I'm going to run a full tank then beat the poop out of the car with the cup tires smoking !!!!
Man Leon, not everybody runs through cars like they're hookers.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Dick response. Entitlement? Come on bro. 155k and yeah i sure as **** do think I'm entitled to the tire I would like.
I hope you get what you want for your precious 155k so you're not a bigger dick than you currently are.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
A configured GT3 dies not indicate tires of choice. We all know it's random.
Certainly know that. My point is that in its program of personalization Porsche would be smart to give its clients tire choice. Are tires more important than say a footwell net? Or a smoker's package? I think it certainly is a lot more important. That being the case why not be given the choice on the tires?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I hope you get what you want for your precious 155k so you're not a bigger dick than you currently are.
Thanks bro. Man you are a class act! But with the awesome car color in your sig, I'm quite sure as a pledge master in my frat you would've labeled quite the "tool"- as would I. Peace. I'm sure you have lots of great pals to hang out with with that attitude.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

McLaren lets you specify tire choice on the 650S - maybe cancel the GT3 and buy that instead?

Porsche is doing the tire switch up more and more, Macan buyers are getting 1 of 2 different A/S tires in a number of sizes. Why are they doing it? So that people have options and aren't limited to just one supplier after the first set goes.

Based on current tires available, the tire you want is the Trofeo R for track days (soon to hit the US) and street doesn't matter, but whichever one has better wet performance.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Trofeo R is available from Bob Woodward as it was for my 997.2. The tire had some major issues which you can read about from the 997 GT3 forum. I not only like the look of the Cup 2 but believe it is the de facto performance tire right now short of R6/R7 which its questionable if those are "allowed" on the car.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Thanks bro. Man you are a class act! But with the awesome car color in your sig, I'm quite sure as a pledge master in my frat you would've labeled quite the "tool"- as would I. Peace. I'm sure you have lots of great pals to hang out with with that attitude.
It has Michelins though.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks
It has Michelins though.
That made me laugh. Gotta have a sense of humor. Maybe i'll put on PS2's!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:26 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Trofeo R is available from Bob Woodward as it was for my 997.2. The tire had some major issues which you can read about from the 997 GT3 forum. I not only like the look of the Cup 2 but believe it is the de facto performance tire right now short of R6/R7 which its questionable if those are "allowed" on the car.
It's a new tire that was developed specifically for the 991 GT3 in factory 20" sizes. It may even come N rated - I don't know exactly where things are up to with it but it was finalizing development a couple of months ago when I was chatting to someone at Pirelli.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Also, forgot to mention that when I asked my dealer what tires I was getting he said don't worry and they'll change them to whatever I want free to charge. So maybe try hitting your dealer up?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

That made me laugh. Gotta have a sense of humor. Maybe i'll put on PS2's!
Lol
I bought a set of Pirelli Trofeo R to try on the car. With the car being heavier than my previous RS and the fact that I am hard on tires, we'll see how they do. I also tried to get a set of Michelin Sport Cup 2 but they are on back order.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i had the dunlops on my AMG black series... they seemed ok to me, although not as rubbery/grippy as Michelins in my experience... They reminded me of the Continental Contisport tires. I guess my view on this is that I will try them on the GT3, and if I really must have the Michelins, that's what, like $2000? I guess just suck it up, is the bottom line, unfortunately...

Quick Reply: Ugh dealer emailed me-Got the stupid Dunflops!