GT3 or Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Gerald Fourie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 or Turbo S

Hi,

I need some expert opinions. I am currently the proud owner of a 991 Turbo S since last December. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a very well spec 991 GT3 (just about full spec except for Ceramics) in GT Silver. Problem is the Turbo S is everything and more in terms of performance, comfort, appearance etc. How much of this will I be sacrificing in the GT3. I know they are 2 very different cars and given my motorsport heritage (current 2014 125KZ kart champion) I should love the GT3 but I do have concerns about the lack of power / torque especially given the fact that I live at altitude. I was hoping there were some of you who have either owned both or had driven both that could share your opinion / experience.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerald Fourie
Hi,

I need some expert opinions. I am currently the proud owner of a 991 Turbo S since last December. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a very well spec 991 GT3 (just about full spec except for Ceramics) in GT Silver. Problem is the Turbo S is everything and more in terms of performance, comfort, appearance etc. How much of this will I be sacrificing in the GT3. I know they are 2 very different cars and given my motorsport heritage (current 2014 125KZ kart champion) I should love the GT3 but I do have concerns about the lack of power / torque especially given the fact that I live at altitude. I was hoping there were some of you who have either owned both or had driven both that could share your opinion / experience.
Before placing my order for the GT3, I had a chance to test drive it twice.

And I test drove a TT (not an "S") for about a day before buying my current 991 911 C4S.

So, while I own neither (as of now), I have had some, albeit limited, experience with both.

All of that said, an easy cop-out would be to say the TT/TTS is a GT and the GT3 is track toy suitable for the streets. But we all know that, and that's too easy, right?

I think there are two sides to this: (1) creature comforts and (2) driving experience.

As to the first -- creature comforts -- the TT/TTS for outshines the GT3, heck even a well-optioned base Carrera will. In the GT3 there is no option for entry/drive, Burmeister (or even Bose), memory seats, back seats, or even a sun/moonroof (although whether that's a comfort is debatable).

As to the second -- driving experience -- the TT/TTS felt, at least to this novice driver, too clinical a daily driver. Maybe because it was meant as a GT cruiser type of car, but you felt very isolated, and insulated, from everything that was around you. Some people like that sensation, others don't. Count me in the latter group. The GT3 is like listening to Metallica play an acoustic set, with a front row seat. Some will prefer the more refined sound of amps and electric guitars, but others will appreciate listening to what Hetfield is actually belching out without synthesizers getting in the way.

Both are great cars in their own right. Which is one better, or best, for you really depends on your priorities and preferences.

That's my two cents for what it's worth. Good luck with the decision.

Oh, and don't think that the Metallica analogy was something I just pulled out of my ***. http://oneighturbo.com/porsche-motor...at-interlagos/
Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

As to the first -- creature comforts -- the TT/TTS for outshines the GT3, heck even a well-optioned base Carrera will. In the GT3 there is no option for entry/drive, Burmeister (or even Bose), memory seats, back seats, or even a sun/moonroof (although whether that's a comfort is debatable).
those are all options I hate and the cause of what I call Automotive Bloating Disease
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

at Altitude I'd consider staying with the turbo, the great thing about PDK-S is paddle neutral
heres my analogy, would you rather fly an F-16 or on Concorde?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As to the second -- driving experience -- the TT/TTS felt, at least to this novice driver, too clinical a daily driver. Maybe because it was meant as a GT cruiser type of car, but you felt very isolated, and insulated, from everything that was around you. Some people like that sensation, others don't. Count me in the latter group. /[/url]
This is exactly the reason I traded my 991 TT for a soon to be received GT3.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just re-affirmed to me my GT3 choice!! Nothing else matters!!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I own both. My comments are based on street use. Both GT's really. GT3 is about 25 percent stiffer, has a little heavier stearing and louder. Doesn't have the low end torque of the turbo. Both very comfortable, both very fast. Either makes a great DD if you don't need the Turbo's back seat. Ultimately the difference in performance is not that much on the street.

They are both great sports cars. Drive a GT3 before you make a decision. If you like 911's you can be happy with either.

It depends on which one I am driving as to which one I would choose if I could only have one. The Turbo's power is addictive, the GT3 noise and sound is addictive.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:53 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a TTs, I ended up with a gt3.

If I have this chance, most probably I will get a RS.

As debated on a lot of threads, it is completely different.

in term of performance, pretty sure that GT3 is at the level of the TT but power is distributed in another way.

it is unbelievable, if I have to redo the deal, in a second I will buy this fantastic car again.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My house is at 6500 feet, so I drive often between 6000-7500 feet, and occasionally up to 9000 feet. The car is still very strong at altitude. Feels like it pulls harder than my 500 hp TT by quite a bit.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:49 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would keep the TTS - it's a great car and you've already taken the depreciation hit. Wait for the RS and try to get into one or buy a used GT3 if that doesn't work out.

I still haven't driven a GT3, but owned a TTS - so can't give you the car perspective vs the GT3.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Previous 991S owner with a fair amount time in the TTS. The TTS is one of the fastest cars around, but lack of feel rather boring IMHO. The NA motores are outstanding in a Porsche, and the GT3 is full of feel, and 9k rev limit is insane.

I'm not sure I buy the rear seat argument who would you but back their a Dog? I would never put my kids in such a small space. Now if you like listing to good music, chatting on the phone GT3 is negative in that arena. Also never bought into the whole keyless entry deal which has no value in the driving experience for me. Hands down GT3 for me, and if I owned a turbo full time I would have traded it due to the lack of sounds and feel. good luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerald Fourie
Hi,

^^sounds like you have your answer right there!
Is there something you dislike about the TT-S that would make you trade it?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 997 Turbo S and now have a 991 GT3. OP, you'll definitely miss the power. The GT3 is more fun on a twisting road but you need to rev the hell out if to keep up with a Turbo. I haven't driven a 991 Turbo S but I'd think carefully before you switch. I guess it depends how you like to use the car. If you get your track thrills in a kart, you might find the GT3 is a big barge!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Gerald Fourie
4th Gear

If I compare the TT-S to my 991 C4S I would say it does feel a lot more sterile. I felt the C4S was a bit more "raw". That is what I am missing in the TT-S but it makes up for it in soooo many other ways. What bugs me as much as the power issue is how the GT3 performs at 2000-5000 rpm. This is where I believe the TT-S is has the upper hand, it is amazing in the lower rpm ranges. As a racing driver I know how important weight to power ratio is, the GT3 is 170kg lighter and I would expect that would compensate to a degree for the less power. I recently drove an Audi R8 V10 Plus. When I accelerated with it I was like wow there is something very wrong here. Problem with the Audi is that it is even heavier that the TT-S. To be honest I don't care much for the missing Bose Sound or rear seats or roof (never use mine). The GT3 is spec with LWBS, NAV, Full Leather with Red Stitching, Sport Package Plus, Mobile Prep, Axle Lift so some of the creature comforts of the TT-S are there.

BTW I truly appreciate the response from you guys, it's obvious how much the people on this forum care for this brand and how passionate you guys all are.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Gerald Fourie
4th Gear

If I compare the TT-S to my 991 C4S I would say it does feel a lot more sterile. I felt the C4S was a bit more "raw". That is what I am missing in the TT-S but it makes up for it in soooo many other ways. What bugs me as much as the power issue is how the GT3 performs at 2000-5000 rpm. This is where I believe the TT-S is has the upper hand, it is amazing in the lower rpm ranges. As a racing driver I know how important weight to power ratio is, the GT3 is 170kg lighter and I would expect that would compensate to a degree for the less power. I recently drove an Audi R8 V10 Plus. When I accelerated with it I was like wow there is something very wrong here. Problem with the Audi is that it is even heavier that the TT-S. To be honest I don't care much for the missing Bose Sound or rear seats or roof (never use mine). The GT3 is spec with LWBS, NAV, Full Leather with Red Stitching, Sport Package Plus, Mobile Prep, Axle Lift so some of the creature comforts of the TT-S are there.

BTW I truly appreciate the response from you guys, it's obvious how much the people on this forum care for this brand and how passionate you guys all are.

Quick Reply: GT3 or Turbo S