Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires rub at low speed on turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i notice something similar, for me its only during sharp, slow turns where the steering wheel is at full lock or just about full lock, as when backing out of a parking spot.

it sounds like a scratching, or creaking sound.

was going to bring it to the dealer but the car is put away for winter now, so will check into it in the spring
Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ackerman effect most likely.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:18 AM
bluebell38
Advanced

Originally Posted by redlightrich
Hello all, I tried to search this with no luck. I have noticed that when I make a turn at low speed, such as parking or backing out of my drive with a 3 point turn that I notice a "rubbing" and jumping from the front.
This is very much the same as a 4 wheel drive truck on dry pavement in how it fights to turn. Yesterday, I actually got out to check my fenders to see if the tires caught the inner lip, but that is not the case.

I am not turning the wheel to full "lock" when this is happening.

Has anyone else experience this? Does anyone know the cause?

The car is equipped with axle life, however it is not active at this point ( no need)

On the road, I have no issues, however the wheel is turned much less at speed.

Thanks in advance for any input

Rich
I had the exact same problem. It felt like when my truck is in four wheel drive, and you turn to sharp. I had a passenger say, "what was that" after it made a "clunk". That happened the second day I had the car. It has not happened since. I also try not to turn as sharp when I am doing three point turns.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Fadi1
Pro

I noticed the woooo happen when I turn the wheel to the left only. It happened when the temperatures came down. Once I drive and the car is warm it does not happen again. I also wondered if it's coming from the rear steering not the front.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
bluebell38
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fadi1
I noticed the woooo happen when I turn the wheel to the left only. It happened when the temperatures came down. Once I drive and the car is warm it does not happen again. I also wondered if it's coming from the rear steering not the front.
That was my thought
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Will mention the WOOOO to the service centre when I take it for its first service and will update the thread.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Acorn effect usually only occurs when the car is cold. Does it still occur after it has warmed up for a while?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed my 458 doing this last weekend pulling out and turning out from a parking spot. And yes, it was quite cold out to say the least.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Default The woooo sound

I stopped by the dealer. The woooo sound is coming from the from right wheel. They have no idea what it is yet. The technician was going to research in the manual and with Porsche and they will let me know what the fix is. It is certainly annoying and could be embarrassing in such a high end car
Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped by the dealer. The woooo sound is coming from the from right wheel. They have no idea what it is yet. The technician was going to research in the manual and with Porsche and they will let me know what the fix is. It is certainly annoying and could be embarrassing in such a high end car
Do you have the lift? Could it be air from something like that? Is it an electrical motor sound or an air movement sound?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Fadi1
Pro

I do have the lift. The sound comes when it's iff though as well. It's sort of dry noise as if it's a part that needs some lubricant. It's also only on one side and whe I turn to the right not the other way
Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

I do have the lift. The sound comes when it's iff though as well. It's sort of dry noise as if it's a part that needs some lubricant. It's also only on one side and whe I turn to the right not the other way
Fadi1, this is the exact sound I have except I hear it most from the front left as opposed to your front right. Please update this thread once you hear back from your service center.

As I mentioned earlier I hear the exact same sound in my Scuderia, the only thing common between those 2 is the Carbon ceramic brakes. I mentioned it to my Ferrari service center, but they couldnt replicate it.

Hopefully Porsche will give us an answer, as you said it is quite embarrassing pulling out of a spot with a very noticeable loud WOOOOOO.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Fadi1 any update from your service center in regards to the WOOO sound?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the same situation. Just noticed that when I turn the steering all the way to the right, the left front tire definitely rubs against something. When I turn the steering to the left, nothing rubs.... Car is new, only 600 miles. The front axle lifting was not activated. Does anyone have the same issue? Thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

My Dealer said "it was when tires are cold .
Should not happen when they warm up "
I haven't driven it enough confirm.
Elliot

Quick Reply: Tires rub at low speed on turns?