Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Agony Continues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014 | 11:32 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Default The Agony Continues

Well here I am, going through this "joyful" agony of, you guessed it....what colour do I get? I now find out my freeze date is 3 - 4 weeks away. More time to change my mind. I was soooooo sure that Sapphire Blue was my colour of choice.......BUT NO, not now, it's not even my 2nd choice. I've had a Lapis Blue Boxster S and a Polar Silver C4S, and many other [non Porsche] black and white cars. After seeing the picts on here of the Jet Black, I said this is it, but that didn't last long either. Did I ever tell you I've always wanted a yellow sports car, but never had the guts to pull the trigger on yellow. I think it's the closest colour to a PTS, but now that we can't get it, here's my choices.....Racing Yellow 1st, Jet Black 2nd then Sapphire Blue, hell in the beginning, it was Rhodium over the SB. Here's my thoughts, Rhodium is out [wife doesn't want another silver], SB has something missing.....what is it? After reading what someone on RL said, SB looks a bit washed, that was it, not a rich colour, very little depth. The Lapis had a bit of a purple hue to it, at least in my eyes, little richer than the SB. We all know Black is a pain, but looks menacing. I'm not saying I'm anything like Money, but very close, hell, I won't even take my Porsche's out in the rain. I know, I'm nuts!!! So now to yellow. This GT3 is such a special sports car and I can't get PTS so Racing yellow [after seeing some beauties] on here is my latest choice. So as I said, we all have to go through the agony, I can't wait until it's all over. I also decided on the PCCB's 100%, now the decisions are black lights and wheels and where's the yellow stitching.....damn. Also looking at yellow belts, yellow trim around shifter and interior trim....what's too much yellow? The Agony continues....
Old 11-16-2014 | 11:43 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

No, no. You want red.

Dan (is such an *** )
Old 11-16-2014 | 11:51 AM
FORENN
Banned

Racing yellow will be awesome. If you want it, get it. However, it is not the closest color to PTS. There is no color that is closer to PTS than any other color, being that the approved colors on the PTS list cover the entire spectrum. Whatever color you select, get it for the right reason: because you like it the most out of the options available.
Old 11-16-2014 | 11:52 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Nice - I might have gone for yellow if i'd have sprung for PCCB. For my money: yellow or silver belts, silver stitching, yellow interior dash/door strips. Leather on the centre console. I like the idea of a bit of colour on the inside, but think a bit of restraint is needed - not a fan of coloured PCM, ventillation slats etc.
Old 11-16-2014 | 12:05 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Similar issue to yours: my spouse shot down the notion of one more silver P car. I had my eye on GT Silver but eventually settled for jet black. I have seen Money's car and it is gorgeous. SB is NOT dull or washed at all (at least to my eye). Don't know if the paint by itself is like that or whether the treatment it gets from Money improves it materially. My suspicion is that the paint by itself is already great. I know black is a maintenance pain but to me that is ok. My biggest concern with black is whether the paint will turn out to be very soft. That I will not know until after I pick the car up within the next month and use it for a while. Very soft paint requires very careful handling to avoid scratches etc. not to say that tracking it w/o some kind of protection will just downright kill it. Oh well....the travails of building your own car. Ps I have not seen a 991 GT3 in yellow yet.
Old 11-16-2014 | 12:14 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hfm
No, no. You want red.

Dan (is such an *** )
Nice try Dan, I will only get Red on a Fcar.
Old 11-16-2014 | 12:25 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Can't imagine too many things cooler than yellow with black wheels, black headlights, black headlight washer nozzles, black mirror tops and black wing end plates.
Old 11-16-2014 | 12:36 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bronson7
Nice try Dan, I will only get Red on a Fcar.
I sort of feel the same way, Ferrari Red. By that same line of thought, there is Porsche White.

Dan (thinks your jelly bean yellow will be brilliant )
Old 11-16-2014 | 12:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

I've ordered RY with LED and Standard Wheels. I prefer the look of it over black wheels, actually prefer the silver over the gloss black as well.

I should have my car in 2-3 weeks.
Old 11-16-2014 | 02:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I've ordered RY with LED and Standard Wheels. I prefer the look of it over black wheels, actually prefer the silver over the gloss black as well.

I should have my car in 2-3 weeks.
Without yet seeing a Racing Yellow live, was wondering why you decided on LED's vs the black lights? Also interesting is I prefer the standard wheels vs gloss black too, after seeing them live. They're that nice.
Old 11-16-2014 | 02:37 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Without yet seeing a Racing Yellow live, was wondering why you decided on LED's vs the black lights? Also interesting is I prefer the standard wheels vs gloss black too, after seeing them live. They're that nice.
If I were to spec yellow, I would definitely go with gloss black wheels and the black xenon headlights. It will look awesome because black and yellow is a spectacular contrast.

As for the interior, I wouldn't do anything yellow except maybe the seat belts.

Dan (might spec a "Hot Wheels" car someday)
Old 11-16-2014 | 02:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Regarding the lights, I understand what the LED's give you but is there any difference in the actual bulb/light in the regular non-option lights vs PDLS vs PDLS Black [other than the black] ? The way I understand the configurator, other than trim pieces or colour[black] there's only 2 different set of lights, between the 4 different selections we have.....1-non option, 2-PDLS, 3-PDLS black, 4-LED's.
Old 11-16-2014 | 02:52 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

The black wheels hide too many details and make the tires/wheels look smaller generally. LEDs match the standard wheel finish better - I started with the wheels and then went to match them.

Have you seen the black wheels in person? I just wasn't a fan, so much so that I would get them refinished if I had of ordered them and the standard looks great.

You should be able to find a RY 911 or 981 somewhere with Platinum Satin wheels.

Couple of images to ponder:

Old 11-16-2014 | 03:17 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Only partially agree with Nate's comments on the black wheels. If you are set on the LEDs, I think they do go better with the standard or silver wheels. I think the black PDLS or regular PDLS do go well with the black wheels, though. While black wheels may not show as much wheel detail as others, they give the car an attitude that is just as important to some of us as the "detail" issue is to others.
Old 11-16-2014 | 03:18 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Black would drive me off the deep end.

My vote would be Racing Yellow with Black wheels and Black Headlights. I would trade my LEDs in a second for Black Xenons. I took all of the LED lights out of my house because they simply aren't as good. The LEDs on my headlights are bright, but something about them just doesn't look as good as Xenon projectors.

I get why some would say Sapphire Blue looks washed out. You know I wouldn't B.S. you. I think people are always looking for a more complex blue. It's simply a metallic blue. It's not dark. It's not light. It's just blue. Depending on your computer monitor, (I have Macbook Pro Retina and iMac set to Apple's "Color LCD" display profile.) This is a very accurate representation of Sapphire Blue in the Sun at noon in September in FL.

Quick Reply: The Agony Continues