Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015 | 07:35 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Default charge-O-matic???CTEK Charger

One thing I know for sure is that in a 16 year period I only replaced the battery once. I suspect you are right. The older charger was not set up for AMG batteries. Thanks Mike. Chesapeake Highway docked today with my car on it. They say it will fly. I'll post pictures on the big day.
Old 02-27-2015 | 07:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My understanding is that the unit CTEK makes for Porsche charges at a max of 14.4V. Optimally, the AGM battery, according to the manufacturer (Banner) requires a 14.7V charger. The generic CTEK branded model 3300 which is most similar to the CTEK/Porsche charger provides this with it's cold weather "snowflake" mode.

As to your question, I have no idea what the charging voltage of your 16 year old charger is, but I suspect it's less than 14.7V. Bottom line it almost surely works, but it's not the perfect spec for the AGM battery and I don't know how critical that is. Ivan?
I am not an EE, so don't take this information as coming from an expert. But, from what I have read about AGM batteries, the risk of charging them comes form a voltage that is too high, not too low. Also, on CTEK's website under FAQ's, they say to use the regular car battery setting for charging AGM batteries unless your battery has a sticker, or manufacturer says, to use the higher voltage snowflake setting. I understand that the manufaturer of our batteries recommends the higher voltage, but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. I did not see anywhere in the CTEK manual any statement like "Caution, only use the snowflake setting for AGM batteries or Damage will Result." To the contrary, they said to use the regular car battery setting unless otherwise instructed.

I think the regular car battery setting is 14.4 volts and the snowflake is 14.7. I think the snowflake setting is primarily put on the charger to help in charging of very cold batteries.

I can't believe the difference between 14.4 and 14.7 volts will be that critical. I doubt very seriously that the charging voltage on our cars is an exact 14.7 volts and the batteries seem to do just fine. An AGM battery is just another type of lead-acid battery. The electrolyte is just absorbed on a glass mat to make it less likely to have issues with spills, and I think you can get more power from them in a smaller package. It is not like it is some revolutionary new type battery.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-28-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2015 | 08:17 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

My understanding is that the unit CTEK makes for Porsche charges at a max of 14.4V. Optimally, the AGM battery, according to the manufacturer (Banner) requires a 14.7V charger. The generic CTEK branded model 3300 which is most similar to the CTEK/Porsche charger provides this with it's cold weather "snowflake" mode.

As to your question, I have no idea what the charging voltage of your 16 year old charger is, but I suspect it's less than 14.7V. Bottom line it almost surely works, but it's not the perfect spec for the AGM battery and I don't know how critical that is. Ivan?
I don't know how critical is the voltage difference for an AGM battery but I would strongly recommend to anyone using a 16 year old charger that they should just buy a new one.

Modern chargers are much more advanced and intelligent than they used to be. Both charging voltage and current are adjusted to compensate for battery condition and ambient temperature. This is important for all batteries, AGM or otherwise. Charging cycles now consist of multiple stages, all designed to recondition and extend the life of the battery. Old chargers served the purpose of recharging a battery, but new chargers are much better at recharging and then maintaining a healthy battery. Get a new CTEK - they only cost $85.
Old 02-27-2015 | 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I am not an EE, so don't take this information as coming from an expert. But, from what I have read about AGM batteries, the risk of charging them comes form a voltage that is too high, not too low. Also, on CTEK's website under FAQ's, they say to use the regular car battery setting for charging AGM batteries unless your battery has a sticker, or manufacturer says, to use the higher voltage snowflake setting. I understand that the manufaturer of our batteries recommends the higher voltage, but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. I did not see anywhere in the CTEK manual any statement like "Caution, only use the snowflake setting for AGM batteries or Damage will Result." To the contrary, they said to use the regular car battery setting unless otherwise instructed.

I think the regular car battery setting is 14.4 volts and the snowflake is 14.7. Also, keep in mind that the higher voltage setting has a snowflake setting on it and not a AGM logo. I think the snowflake setting is primarily put on the charger to help in charging of very cold batteries.

I can't believe the difference between 14.4 and 14.7 volts will be that critical. I doubt very seriously that the charging voltage on our cars is an exact 14.7 volts and the batteries seem to do just fine. An AGM battery is just another type of lead-acid battery. The electrolyte is just absorbed on a glass mat to make it less likely to have issues with spills, and I think you can get more power from them in a smaller package. It is not like it is some revolutionary new type battery.
I don't think I will be violating any confidences by referencing a PM exchange that another RL member and I had back in November when this same issue came up. I don't want to drag his name into it but he contacted Banner, the Austrian manufacturer of the OEM AGM battery, and specifically asked them what battery mode should be used to charge the battery. They said to use the 14.7V snowflake mode on the CTEK charger.

Now I didn't personally see the communication from Banner, but I trust what was communicated to me by our fellow RL forum member. Additionally, here is an excerpt from the FAQ on the CTEK web site:

Q. I have an AGM battery. Do I charge it in snowflake mode?
A. It depends. Optima and Hawker recommend snowflake mode. If there is no indication on the battery, use car mode for batteries over 14Ah or MC mode for batteries under 14Ah.
http://smartercharger.com/faq/#batteryknowledge6
FWIW, given what I was told Banner had to say on the subject, and what CTEK recommends generally for AGM batteries from other manufacturers, I'm using the snowflake mode on the charger for my battery.
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:11 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Along with my 16yr old charger I have had a CTEK 3300 charge for a year. The CTEK charges at 14.4V/3.3A in the car setting and 14.7V/3.3A in the snow flake setting. As per owners manual snow flake position is to be used for many AMG batteries. Key word is many. It also says consult your battery manufacturer when in doubt. Oh boy something Monday.
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:32 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

It was not clear to me which mode I should use for the AGM battery on my GT3 so I contacted CTEK tech support at their Sweden headquarters via email. I told them that I had a GT3 with an AGM battery.

Here is the response from CTEK: "Always use Cold Weather Mode for your AGM battery."
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:36 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Yeah!! Thanks
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
It was not clear to me which mode I should use for the AGM battery on my GT3 so I contacted CTEK tech support at their Sweden headquarters via email. I told them that I had a GT3 with an AGM battery.

Here is the response from CTEK: "Always use Cold Weather Mode for your AGM battery."
So, CTEK says to use snowflake mode for AGM batteries. Porsche's AGM battery manufacturer Banner says to use snowflake mode.

Which mode should I use again.....?
Old 02-28-2015 | 09:46 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

So, CTEK says to use snowflake mode for AGM batteries. Porsche's AGM battery manufacturer Banner says to use snowflake mode.

Better check the charging voltage from your car's electrical system to make sure it is exactly 14.7 volts all the time. Wouldn't want to ruin your battery.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-28-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2015 | 10:20 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Mike, since there are so many CTEK model's to choose, which one would you suggest? Which model is the Porsche brand? Also, would any of them have a cigarette lighter adapter on them?
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:28 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronson7
Mike, since there are so many CTEK model's to choose, which one would you suggest? Which model is the Porsche brand? Also, would any of them have a cigarette lighter adapter on them?
The Porsche dual mode unit is a CTEK 3300 without the snowflake mode. I have no idea why it doesn't have the snowflake mode. The Porsche model also has a cigarette lighter socket adapter hardwired on it, so that makes it appear that is Porsche's preferred method to use, or they just think that method is easier for their customers. Sure can't argue with that assessment.

Lighter adapter plugs can be bought from CTEK for their models, including the 3300. The CTEK adapter plug is the same as the one attached to the Porsche charger. From that perspective, the CTEK units offer more flexibility of use since they offer the option to charge via the 12V sockets in your car, or directly connected to the battery. If the GT3 manual has the same warning as the Carrera manual on use of adapter plugs, you will see that it is important to use one of proper design, otherwise, it can damage your 12 V socket. That is another reason I chose the Porsche model. if I have any issues that can be somehow blamed on the charger, I at least can claim I used a Porsche model.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-28-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:32 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

The Porsche dual mode unit is a CTEK 3300 without the snowflake mode. I have no idea why it doesn't have the snowflake mode. The Porsche model also has a cigarette lighter socket adapter hardwired on it, so that makes it appear that is Porsche's preferred method to use, or they just think that method is easier for their customers. Sure can't argue with that assessment.

Lighter adapter plugs can be bought from CTEK for their models, including the 3300. From that perspective, the CTEK units offer more flexibility of use since they offer the option to charge via the 12V sockets in your car, or directly connected to the battery.

Good to know, thank you.
Old 02-28-2015 | 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Better check the charging voltage from your car's electrical system to make sure it is exactly 14.7 volts all the time. Wouldn't want to ruin your battery.
Now GSIRM3, you and I both know that's not the point....
Old 02-28-2015 | 01:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
bronson, just to add to what GSIRM3 said above, another model to consider is the CTEK 7002. It has a more sophisticated 8 step charging program as well as a reconditioning mode. I bought one so that I would have a charger for each car. It's still less expensive than the Porsche branded charger. Also, in addition to the optional cig lighter adaptor, you can get an extension cable that will let you mount the charger on a wall and still be able to reach the car. The CTEK plug connector makes it possible to have a variety of different configurations that aren't possible with the fixed 12v connector on the Porsche model.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-12...attery+charger
http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Comfort-I...JMWZAKJ5ZF0DX3
Old 02-28-2015 | 01:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

My Ctek 3300 has a battery icon right next to the snowflake. Since the icon looks like an optima Amg battery, I thought it was pretty clear.

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer?