Sponsored by:

Painted Side Skirts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Painted Side Skirts

With MY2015 came painted side skirts option. Anyone with a close up photo of the option? Did Porsche apply rock guard to the skirts as they do on the rocker? I am tempted by this option, however, from some distant photos, it appears the rocker remains rock guarded and the lower skirt ~when painted~ is not.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I have painted side skirts on my C4S because the rear apron and front sport design clip are also painted. It looks homogenous. However, I would not do the painted side skirts on the GT3 because both the rear lower clip and front lower clip are unpainted. So basically you have a more uniform look to the entire lower apron of the vehicle if the skirts are left unpainted. Some GT3 owners have painted the whole lower apron but I'm not sure it seems c/w the track oriented purpose of the car. Just my 02 cents.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I have painted side skirts on my C4S because the rear apron and front sport design clip are also painted. It looks homogenous. However, I would not do the painted side skirts on the GT3 because both the rear lower clip and front lower clip are unpainted. So basically you have a more uniform look to the entire lower apron of the vehicle if the skirts are left unpainted. Some GT3 owners have painted the whole lower apron but I'm not sure it seems c/w the track oriented purpose of the car. Just my 02 cents.
I am torn between possibly upsetting the lines of the 991 with painted sills and the aesthetics of the lower appearing painted skirt. I don't think there is a wrong choice as to painting them or not. I am concerned with protecting them with clear bra if they are not rock guarded.

I agree, I would never paint the front lip as it will scrape with or without lift. The black lip conceals scrapes very well as was with my .2 3.

Mine will be white, black wheels, black lights and buckets. I think the white painted skirts may add the illusion of a lower sitting body and contrast well with the black wheels and even the lights from the side profile.

It is an easy fix if I go painted and don't like. Suncoast sells black skirts for $130 a Pop. Yes, I will have wasted $690 on the option and $260 to replace the skirts but it may be worth the risk. Replacement is likely a DIY.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:55 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents are it does not look right, period! It leaves a unbalanced look on lower lines of car. It might look more appropriate if front and rear lower areas were painted as well but none of this belongs on a GT car in my humble opinion.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a pic on here in the Gt3 pics post that shows a Guards Red (through a window) with the painted side skirts. Not my taste for sure.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:14 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look through the "Official GT3 pic thread" Even when not painted, the center section of the car (profile view) is already lower than the lines from the front and rear. It would just disturb the front-to-rear lines too much
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Look through the "Official GT3 pic thread" Even when not painted, the center section of the car (profile view) is already lower than the lines from the front and rear. It would just disturb the front-to-rear lines too much
Probably why I added then removed them. For some reason they keep sneaking into my subconscious. I couple of people added them here, but the pics are too distant. Real life and photographs are much different as well, especially with cars.

Quick Reply: Painted Side Skirts