Sponsored by:

Finally drove her home today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
When I say broken in... I mean safe to go to 9000 RPM. I'm keeping it below 5000 rpm until about 700 miles, then below 7000 RPM until 1000 miles, then inch it up until 1200 miles. Change oil and let her rip. I think the manual says first 1200 miles is break in. Much has been discussed on this in this forum. Many opinions.
Manual is 2000 miles at 4500 rpm or less.........
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 AM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Seriously, 2000 miles Wow, I don't think I can hold off that long on mine for break in. I am thinking 500 miles under 4500 rpm then let er rip. I highly doubt many will be able to go 2k miles and follow the manual exactly.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
To be specific this is what the manual states...

Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers)
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche. Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles (3,000 km).
Therefore:
- Preferably take longer trips.
- Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
- Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
- Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).
- Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.
- Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).
- Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
- Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers).

There may be a slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in period which will gradually disappear.

...a whole bunch of "Do not's".

Last edited by Haku; 11-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

For me 4200 rpm limit was/is not possible. On the way home from dealer, to manage traffic gave a small throttle input and the part throttle downshift program in pdks (normal mode) went to 5k + and that was that. I figure a few hundred miles below 5 to 6k is all I'll manage.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
For me 4200 rpm limit was/is not possible. On the way home from dealer, to manage traffic gave a small throttle input and the part throttle downshift program in pdks (normal mode) went to 5k + and that was that. I figure a few hundred miles below 5 to 6k is all I'll manage.
I agree with you entirely... To keep to 4200 is bonkers in this car!
I think it's about being sensible with rpm's and not lugging the engine. Imo, the most important is to shift often within a reasonable rpm band. Lengthy highway driving at a constant speed is not a good idea.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Hey rubbaman, you have one of the first 2015s with the Sport Chrono option landed! if you have an iPhone handy pleeeease try out the Porsche Track Precision app and capture some overlay video driving around, or capture some logs and post the data file exports so we can see what the GPS data rate is. I'm holding out on the Sport Chrono option before my lock date hoping to see some more reviews on the app function.

Thanks!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey rubbaman, you have one of the first 2015s with the Sport Chrono option landed! if you have an iPhone handy pleeeease try out the Porsche Track Precision app and capture some overlay video driving around, or capture some logs and post the data file exports so we can see what the GPS data rate is. I'm holding out on the Sport Chrono option before my lock date hoping to see some more reviews on the app function. Thanks!!
Will get into that soon. I didn't think it captures video as there is no camera. I thought the only way it works is if you are on a known track. Where it has the course layout in its memory. I could be very wrong about all if this though.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Will get into that soon. I didn't think it captures video as there is no camera. I thought the only way it works is if you are on a known track. Where it has the course layout in its memory. I could be very wrong about all if this though.
From what I can tell:

- It uses the camera in your iPhone

- It only shows live video as it is recording if you are on a known track, but it will record without a live preview in all other locations and let you view the overlay video after stopping

I'm most curious how how high quality the overlay is, including the update data rate.

You'd just need someone to hold an iPhone running the app that is linked to the PCM looking out the front window while you drive (if you want to create a video with overlay showing the car moving). Alternatively you can just leave the phone on the passenger seat while it records black video but with a valid overlay.

Then upload you youtube and please post.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Went out for a spirited ride this morning and broke the 8000 barrier

through the back hills of Maryland. What a lovely sound and a rush!

Forgot how wonderful it sounds at full song! Noticed that the temps had to come up

in the exhaust and engine for a while before she really popped!

About 15 minutes of driving and then it really came alive.

Just have a sh%t eating grin on my face every time I get in this car.

Here are some updated pics with the good camera.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
przemson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car is just amazing from every angle
Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went out for a spirited ride this morning and broke the 8000 barrier through the back hills of Maryland. What a lovely sound and a rush! Forgot how wonderful it sounds at full song! Noticed that the temps had to come up in the exhaust and engine for a while before she really popped! About 15 minutes of driving and then it really came alive. Just have a sh%t eating grin on my face every time I get in this car. Here are some updated pics with the good camera.
That is some great shots! You should be a photographer. That white looks good on the GT3. Is that the standard exterior white?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kaution321
That is some great shots! You should be a photographer. That white looks good on the GT3z. Is that the standard exterior white?
Just plain ole blanco!
Yep!
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! Photos worthy of EVO.

Wish my weather was nicer.

Quick Reply: Finally drove her home today!