Sponsored by:

F430 trading on GT3 w/new engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:23 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I asked to also buy a Huracan from Herb Chambers in Boston and was pretty much laughed off as well....
I used to live in Boston and tried to buy my 2008 Turbo S from Herb's son. We worked through the paperwork and as I was writing the check (actually writing the damn check) he stepped out, came back five minutes later and said that the car was sold to another client!

Chambers motors are the biggest bunch of bastards I've ever dealt with (and I buy ford trucks, so I know a few)

Ended up buying my last turbo S from Champion Motorsports, now only deal with Porsche of Plano
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM
CarObsessed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
The US customers should unite and shun such snobbish European brands and buy American only for a while.
There are no good alternatives. C7 is ok instead of a C2S (not sure of that either), but for a "pure" (lightweight, high specific output etc. etc.) sports car?

In most parts of the world you can order any ferrari any time you want regardless of prior purchase history. And lambo, they beg for your business.
Asking for the dealers to be more polite/empathetic is fine, but they cannot give your cars if they don't have allocation. So far, I haven't heard of too many instances of dealers auctioning off cars which is also fine as we cannot live in a capitalist economy and complain about demand-supply based pricing. When I got on the order list for a GT3, none of the three dealers I spoke to asked for more than sticker.

Ferrari increasing production to 10,000 will mostly help US customers and good thing for them but not really needed in ROW.
Didn't Marchionne backtrack on that? I think he said next year, production will still be ~7,000 cars. He rephrased it as reducing wait time for customers to less than 24 months. Even if they ramp up production to 10,000, it will be over 10 years as they have to keep owners of current cars happy with resale values.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Just got a call in, they are willing to go even swap, valuing my F430 at $152 and sell me the GT3 (570 miles) for $152.

i'd own it until the RS came in. wife is worried I will get killed on trade in, seems like the responses here go both ways on value of it after 9 months. i'll put less than 5k miles on it.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
Just got a call in, they are willing to go even swap, valuing my F430 at $152 and sell me the GT3 (570 miles) for $152.

i'd own it until the RS came in. wife is worried I will get killed on trade in, seems like the responses here go both ways on value of it after 9 months. i'll put less than 5k miles on it.
Clear title or branded title?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Originally Posted by Zucc
Clear title or branded title?
engine was replaced so it has to be a salvage title. it's one of the auction cars
Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

The engine swap does not necessarily mean a branded title, but if it was a PCNA auction car then it will have a branded title. Big mistake to trade IMO. I would keep the Ferrari or buy a new GT3 without title issues. I'm just afraid that you are going to have a very bad day 9 months from now trading in a 2 yr old GT3 with title issues on a new RS.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

do think that it is interesting that all of the auction cars were bought over MSRP by dealers.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

do think that it is interesting that all of the auction cars were bought over MSRP by dealers.
There are also a lot more dealers who opted not to purchase those cars. Common sense dictates that a new 2015 vehicle with a clear title is worth more than a used 2014 with a branded title.

Paying the same or more for the used one is complete nonsense as far as I am concerned especially when there are new 2015's available at MSRP.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:10 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

I agree. searching now, found a white one out there msrp of 150. going to try for that one.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I used to live in Boston and tried to buy my 2008 Turbo S from Herb's son. We worked through the paperwork and as I was writing the check (actually writing the damn check) he stepped out, came back five minutes later and said that the car was sold to another client!

Chambers motors are the biggest bunch of bastards I've ever dealt with (and I buy ford trucks, so I know a few)

Ended up buying my last turbo S from Champion Motorsports, now only deal with Porsche of Plano
I would never even call them again....
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

There is also a white one availablle in Cary, NC to be delivered in December. Contact Phillip Marquis, phillip.marquis@leithimports.com or 919-805-2664. He can send you the build sheet. Super nice guy.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I think the dealers that bought the auction cars are banking on a shortage once 2015's are delivered and you can't order a new one.....and no used 15's out there because owners haven't started to turn them over....
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not only did I order my 15 assuming that I would trade it in 9-12 months later for an RS, I feel that it was sort of an unwritten thing with the dealer that I needed to do that to be on the list for the RS. My dealer took a $1k deposit on the RS but wasn't willing to commit how many they are getting, where I am on the list, etc. He did tell me that they will not take a true financial deposit if they don't feel pretty good about being able to fulfill the purchase.

So my conservative approach is spec the gt3 as if I would never get a shot at the RS, so no regrets in case that happens. But optimistically assuming RS happens, I assume I will lose 15k or so on the gt3 trade in. Dealer gets to make a lot of margin on gt3 sale, trade, and RS. Me thinks that helps with chances...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I think the dealers that bought the auction cars are banking on a shortage once 2015's are delivered and you can't order a new one.....and no used 15's out there because owners haven't started to turn them over....
Probably so. Come spring time they will be the only dealers with GT3's on the ground.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarObsessed

Didn't Marchionne backtrack on that? I think he said next year, production will still be ~7,000 cars. He rephrased it as reducing wait time for customers to less than 24 months. Even if they ramp up production to 10,000, it will be over 10 years as they have to keep owners of current cars happy with resale values.
I don't think ferrari really cares about resale values that much. I can tell you resales of high end cars are generally rubbish in Dubai, including ferrari. Especially if you put miles on them. Flip side is that as a first time customer u can still order the speciale and get it fairly quickly. (wait times tend to be 2-6 months). Also you can at times get the cars brand new in stock at slightly below msrp.

Again with respect to resale, the US is a unique market where F cars have good resale only because they are garage queens. You drive them a lot any where in the world and their price plummets.

Quick Reply: F430 trading on GT3 w/new engine