Sponsored by:

Rotor Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rotor Replacement?

Seems like I've had the good fortune of being the cutting edge for a number of parts for this car and so it goes...

Anyone know of any company that is making aftermarket replacements rotors for our 991 GT3?

The cracks on these cross drilled rotors are becoming an issue? Additionally, the holes are always covered by brake dust and need to be blown out by air hose each day, so would like to get slotted if anyone makes them?

Suncoast is selling OEM for a very fair price, but not really liking the OEM setup.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:58 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was having a quick look a few weeks ago, I noticed Brembo had them listed:

http://www.racetechnologies.com/prod...3ExcludingPCCB

I haven't looked around extensively.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Porsche only sells drilled rotors, so for slotted you'll have to go aftermarket. Are you still running factory pads or have you made the switch yet?

Here's a few photos we grabbed of your GT3 during Winterfest at Sebring:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the benefit of slotted vs. drilled?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Ask PFC what they have?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
AP Tires
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, we spoke via email a few times. We have finally worked out all the details of brake kits we will be offering from RacingBrake. Here is a list of the kits that I will be creating a group buy for shortly. Take a look and see if any of these options fit your needs. You can contact me via PM or via email for exact particulars and preorder pricing info.

The first kits that will be available will be the full blown BBK's. These kits will be offered in 3 different rotor sizes. We are also working with Forgeline wheels to make sure their 19" wheels will fit the first two kits. I will be able to let you know if the wheels you purchased will work. These BBK's have top loading calipers, are direct bolt to spindle in front and take FMSI pads.

380/380
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-03.htm

390/390
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-02.htm

410/390
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-01.htm

For a direct replacement rotor see below. I can check availability of this option for you.
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-05.htm

What pads are you presently running with the stock calipers?

Mike
Old 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
AP Tires
Former Vendor

The rotors in these kits will feature RacingBrake's Open slot deign which is very efficient at removing brake dust.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/two_piece_compare.asp

Replacement rings will be readily available and the center tab design of their rotors allows one to change rotor thickness without having to change the Rotor hat. This allows a lot of user flexibility when choosing the lightest rotor for a specific track.

The rear rotor also incorporates a steel liner for compatibility with the stock emergency brake. A lot of thought went into these rotors.

Mike
Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM
PointBy
Instructor

Originally Posted by NateOZ
When I was having a quick look a few weeks ago, I noticed Brembo had them listed:

http://www.racetechnologies.com/prod...3ExcludingPCCB

I haven't looked around extensively.

Here's what the Brembo discs look like. (Images missing from the RT website)

It's a type 3 race disc, pretty much the same as supplied to Porsche for the RSR. They use a 72 vane design internally for a higher heat capacity and that should provide more disc life. The type three slot pattern is basically a sprint race type slot pattern.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the advantage of getting the BBK vs just getting new rotors? The GT3 calipers are already pretty big? I was certainly hoping Girodisc would start making a replacement rotor. I use them on my 991S and they have been very good (paired with RS29s).
Old 10-05-2014, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

if type 3 rotors are cheaper than oem then great,
if they last lingers with lower dollar per mile hen great
no need to upgrade to larger rotors. it's way big already.
if u need more braking, u should work in driving skills, u brake too much
Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if u need more braking, u should work in driving skills, u brake too much
Awesome.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Will those type 3 brembos works with the factory rotors?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 AM
AP Tires
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
What is the advantage of getting the BBK vs just getting new rotors? The GT3 calipers are already pretty big? I was certainly hoping Girodisc would start making a replacement rotor. I use them on my 991S and they have been very good (paired with RS29s).
Some of the inherent advantages are:

1) A two piece caliper is stiffer. While the stock caliper has an aluminum bridge at the top, aluminum looses a lot of it's strength as it gets hot. The aluminum bridges get softer and the caliper flexes more than a two piece design which uses steel bolts as bridges which do not loose strength as they heat up. This flexing is what can cause pad taper. Whether this will affect you depends on how aggressive you are on the brakes.

2) the Caliper in the BBK is top loading which means you can change pads without having to pull the caliper. This is more convenient way to change pads especially when the hardline on the front caliper won't allow you enough slack to pull the one piece caliper off the rotor without disconnecting the lines at the spindle as well.

3) The calipers in the kit feature differential piston bores which help prevent pad taper and apply more even pressure on the pads.

4) Standard FMSI pad sizes of D1382 (GTR) front and D1383 (GTR) rear means more pad compound choices.

5) Of course the BBK comes with two piece rotors, but so do the rotor conversions being shown so I guess that really does factor into this discussion

As with any upgrade, some users will see the benefit, others not. That's why it is important to address your particular needs and problems. One solution does not rule them all

Last edited by AP Tires; 10-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 AM
AP Tires
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Will those type 3 brembos works with the factory rotors?
I assume you meant work with the factory calipers. Yes they should if they are designed to be direct replacement. Same as the Racingbrake two piece upgrade/conversion. As pointed out by mooty, The one that gives you the most service miles per dollar amount is the best choice. I know from use on the GTR's (think heavy) that the RB rotors hold up very well. I'll try and find some links.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AP Tires
Some of the inherent advantages are:

1) A two piece caliper is stiffer. While the stock caliper has an aluminum bridge at the top, aluminum looses a lot of it's strength as it gets hot. The aluminum bridges get softer and the caliper flexes more than a two piece design which uses steel bolts as bridges which do not loose strength as they heat up. This flexing is what can cause pad taper. Whether this will affect you depends on how aggressive you are on the brakes.
The aluminum bridges in the Porsche caliper have a non-aluminum (not sure if is steel, titanium or MMC) skeleton that the aluminum was cast around.

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacement?