Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
This is in fact good news for the 2014 owners that had their cars fitted with new engines. If I was buying a GT3 in few years I would buy a 2014 over 2015 as I know they had a new engine installed. I also think the engines in 2014's were rigorously tested and bullet proof. Not sure about 2015's

This is all now making complete sense and now explains the high auction values that the 2014 GT3 buybacks brought??? Dealers knew this a long time ago so they paid all the money fighting over the 2014s with "new" engines ha ha
Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Isn't it official that all old motors be melted down after the recall? Is there a link other than that? Mike
There were lots of rumors. I've not seen anything official on what happened to the old engines.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Time to put on our foil hats again. Lol
Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Spyerx had this right from get go......I was just to curious and just spoke to my friend at PCNA and they were told by PAG that some of the engines will be brought back to be disassembled by engineering to inspect different items but majority will be stripped down and fully remanufactured to be sold as future replacement or for warranty replacement should the need arise.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:01 PM
spr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike in CA is correct, most of the 911's engines have been run for a short while before they are shipped - either on the bench or on a short test drive but those are "delivery" miles, surely not to be confused with an engine that that has been warrantied and removed from a sold and registered vehicle that may have done several thousand miles. I also think it unlikely that Porsche would resort to recycling the engines (except maybe where a dealer decided to replace an engine under warranty in the future) but once again PAG and their reputation would be so much better served if they were more transparent and provided a detailed explanation of what really caused the fires and then had the dealers "destroy" the removed engines. One cannot help but wonder why PAG would want to incur the additional expense of return shipping the 700+ engines from the four corners of the world if it was only to destroy them in Stuttgart - they certainly didn't need to examine all 700 engines to figure out what the problem was.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, I'll bite! PAG will not reuse parts from engines that have been owned by consumers. First, they do not know how any of these engines were operated so they would be taking a significant risk by reusing a $1K part in a $150K car. Second, when you add up all of the labor involved in removing, shipping, inspecting, testing and reconditioning parts I seriously doubt it would be worth the expense and expended resources. Third, liability, liability and liability. OEMs just don't do things like this. If a re-used part caused a throttle to stick or an engine to fail and someone got hurt it would be huge liability issue and an epic PR fail. Porsche, nor any other manufacturer, will take that risk. I worked with OEMs in the mid-90s when I was in the electronics industry. Perfectly good test vehicles would be slated for the scrap pile the minute you installed non-OEM parts on them. Too much liability. I don't know if this is the case with PAG but I have to believe that it is very close. If engines at the factory could be retrofitted with a fix I suspect that would be acceptable since they were still in a known state. Just MHO!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lodi
OK, I'll bite! PAG will not reuse parts from engines that have been owned by consumers. First, they do not know how any of these engines were operated so they would be taking a significant risk by reusing a $1K part in a $150K car. Second, when you add up all of the labor involved in removing, shipping, inspecting, testing and reconditioning parts I seriously doubt it would be worth the expense and expended resources. Third, liability, liability and liability. OEMs just don't do things like this. If a re-used part caused a throttle to stick or an engine to fail and someone got hurt it would be huge liability issue and an epic PR fail. Porsche, nor any other manufacturer, will take that risk. I worked with OEMs in the mid-90s when I was in the electronics industry. Perfectly good test vehicles would be slated for the scrap pile the minute you installed non-OEM parts on them. Too much liability. I don't know if this is the case with PAG but I have to believe that it is very close. If engines at the factory could be retrofitted with a fix I suspect that would be acceptable since they were still in a known state. Just MHO!
it is very common place when a engine is removed at dealership regardless of manufacturer under warranty that the old engine assembly sent back to be "remanufactured" and it becomes available for future warranty claims or to purchase by customer if someone needs engine assembly. Despite how much trouble and expense it is to ship assemblies back to PAG it is only way they can make sure the engine gets out of circulation and truly remanufactured properly.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What would you do if you were Porsche and you had 700 new engines some with zero miles on them that only needed 6 new screws?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

If the fix had been simple they would not have put new engines in everything. They would have just fixed them. I bet it's cheaper and maybe necessary just to build a new engine rather than tear down a existing engine, clean it, reman it and then put it all back together.

I've done it. A very labor intensive process.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sccchiii
it is very common place when a engine is removed at dealership regardless of manufacturer under warranty that the old engine assembly sent back to be "remanufactured" and it becomes available for future warranty claims or to purchase by customer if someone needs engine assembly. Despite how much trouble and expense it is to ship assemblies back to PAG it is only way they can make sure the engine gets out of circulation and truly remanufactured properly.
Agreed sccchiii, however, the fact that these engines are remanufactured is disclosed as part of the warranty/repair process. They are not represented as new, which would be the case if they were installed in a new vehicle on the production line. I heard early in the process that the engines were being destroyed. I would be interested to know how, when and where this was done, but in no way am I concerned that my 2015 GT3 is receiving compromised parts. I would be very, very surprised if this happened.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
If the fix had been simple they would not have put new engines in everything. They would have just fixed them. I bet it's cheaper and maybe necessary just to build a new engine rather than tear down a existing engine, clean it, reman it and then put it all back together.

I've done it. A very labor intensive process.
Yes, this.

Even if it made sense from a manufacturing standpoint, it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective for Porsche.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lodi
Agreed sccchiii, however, the fact that these engines are remanufactured is disclosed as part of the warranty/repair process. They are not represented as new, which would be the case if they were installed in a new vehicle on the production line. I heard early in the process that the engines were being destroyed. I would be interested to know how, when and where this was done, but in no way am I concerned that my 2015 GT3 is receiving compromised parts. I would be very, very surprised if this happened.
I think we are agreeing as I stated they would be used for future warranty repairs or purchase as replacement but NOT installed in 2015 models as NEW engines
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If my 2015 comes with any part re-manufactured from the recalled motors, I'll sue PCNA and Porsche for all they are worth....LOL

BTW, in the beginning of all this recall new motor deal, I suggested that all of you who were in possession of said GT3's post the serial numbers off their motors so there would be a known record of the recalled motors... I was totally ignored.
Now I bet you all would like this as a recorded public record..........end of all this speculation
Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I think we are agreeing as I stated they would be used for future warranty repairs or purchase as replacement but NOT installed in 2015 models as NEW engines
No issue there!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
BTW, in the beginning of all this recall new motor deal, I suggested that all of you who were in possession of said GT3's post the serial numbers off their motors so there would be a known record of the recalled motors... I was totally ignored.
Now I bet you all would like this as a recorded public record..........end of all this speculation
There's no need to do that and it would be pointless anyway. While it might be possible for Porsche to reuse parts from the old engines (which I doubt will happen) they would never reuse the complete engines or the engine numbers. For one thing, the engine certificates that we all received document both the old and new engine associated with our VIN's...those old numbers will never show up anywhere else again.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Engines