Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post and My Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

The luggage net is cheap looking like a Toyota. How is it a "no brainer"? Who would store their cell phone in the passenger compartment floor anyway? Each to his own I guess.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:34 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The luggage net is cheap looking like a Toyota. How is it a "no brainer"? Who would store their cell phone in the passenger compartment floor anyway? Each to his own I guess.
Totally agree, I had it on my build due to what I read on here, then I saw a picture and had it removed.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Totally agree, I had it on my build due to what I read on here, then I saw a picture and had it removed.
Anybody have a picture handy to share?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
How should a "net" look so as to not look like one in a Toyota?
Re who would store a phone there?... I may or not, just a figure of speech. If we're being pedantic, the net is on the side of the footwell and not on the floor.

To keep this in context, it's a sodding net! That's all. Choose it or not, it's all good. I do know that if you're looking for a net that is either gold plated or a luxurious accessory, this isn't it! I find it functional and may prove to be useful.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Anybody have a picture handy to share?

Last edited by Haku; 11-16-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Aesthetically It just doesn't work for me. Pass.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:08 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arguing about the net is a complete waste of time. It really doesn't matter one way or the other. Its barely noticeable as a passenger and you can't see it at all while driving.

After riding in the car pictured above yesterday I am a firm believer that you cannot make a mistake on options. The engine, transmission and handling are the stars - everything else is unimportant and strictly a matter of taste.

Getting back in my 991 C2S with X51 after riding with Haku was a big eye opener. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I have loved every minute of my current car up to the point of riding in a 991 GT3. I feel fortunate to have one on the way. What a freaking car!!! Just unbelievable. Had a smile on my face all day. Thanks again Haku!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Arguing about the net is a complete waste of time. It really doesn't matter one way or the other. Its barely noticeable as a passenger and you can't see it at all while driving.

After riding in the car pictured above yesterday I am a firm believer that you cannot make a mistake on options. The engine, transmission and handling are the stars - everything else is unimportant and strictly a matter of taste.

That says it all! Options and preferences are all so subjective and really a matter of personal taste. There is no right or wrong. The handling and performance characteristics of this car are staggering and bang for buck make it one of the best sports car in the world!

Btw, it was a pleasure to share some of the wonders of this car with you yesterday.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on the net. I got it, and I'll never use it.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe if you could get deviated stitching on it, otherwise, I would pass......
Old 11-16-2014, 01:39 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

The net is good for holding those Japanese air fresheners in tin cans that you pop open.

Dan (goes for nice smell over stupid look)
Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 PM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

I was planning on using the luggage net as a place to hold a small garbage bag.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Reviving my order thread to give an update and track report since taking delivery.

Car was delivered the end of February. Took it in to have entire front covered with Xpel, windows tinted, and radar detection power and mount installed. All went well and I was very happy with the work at Freddie Louis Auto Accessories in Huntsville, AL.

I put about 600 uneventful miles on it in the city and surrounding area. Kept it under 5k and varied throttle etc. I agree that manual shifting is best in the city. Standard PDK shifts way to early for my taste during normal throttle use in town. I like the way to car behaves in the city and it will be a great daily driver for me.

Took off on a little road trip to do some fishing with an old friend in Lake Charles, Louisianna. 640 miles each way. I used this additional mileage to further break in the car. Few minutes in 5th, then a few in 6th, then 7th, repeat. I was a little concerned with having light weight buckets for such a long trip, but they were exceptional. No issues with comfort during either 9 hour session. Interstate driving was quite boring, except for the fact that every Mustang, Charger, Z car, Corvette, etc. wanted to either race or see how close they could follow me. Took several 2 lane roads - UNREAL GOOD! Eats up the tight turns and makes passing cars silly. 70 to 100 happens so fast that you are around and past cars in a blink. Tried the launch control a couple of times after full break in - if you are broken in and haven't tried this yet, JUST DO IT! It will blow your mind. Fishing was outstanding. Caught fish all dqy for 2 days straight. Tons of reds over 20 lbs. One nice jack around 25-30 lbs.

Gratuitous fish pics

Got back home and cleaned all the bugs off the film. And left the next day for my first track event at Road Atlanta. I was in the DE group during the PCA Club Racing event. 280 track miles over 2 days (skipped Sunday) were a huge eye opener for me. The step up in performance from my 911 X51 C2S was staggering. The combination of closer gearing, PDK-S, and increased horsepower make this car a very different beast from anything I have owned and tracked prior. I am positive that I have exceeded my current driving skill with this purchase and it will be a long time before I get comfortable anywhere near its lofty limit. It is constantly in the powerband and it keeps you there so smoothly that you forget to notice after a while. This also makes throttle modulation much more important as compared to previous cars. Several times I got loose coming out of 3, 5, 7, and 10a with all nannies ON. Nothing severe and all easily controlled, but throttle oversteer is always there to remind you to roooollllll on the throttle.

I love the light weight bucket seats. They look phenomenal and are quite comfortable to me. Even with a very tight 3 point belt I felt that I was moving around too much. Left leg a little sore today from all the pressure it applied to the footrest over the last 2 days. Going to absolutely install a bar and harnesses, I would even have to say this is a requirement in this car.

The iron brakes were impressive. Only complaint would be the slightly unnerving tail wag under full braking from high speeds. Threshold braking coming down the hill off the back straight into 10a was where I felt it. Even with a perfectly straight steering wheel it was still noticeable. I never could get it to feel good trail braking into turn 1, but it felt great if I came off them totally just prior to turn in and roll back on throttle immediately. The opposite was true in turn 6 - felt perfect when trail braking here.

Power was terrific in the straights. Car hits 145 at the black flag station on the back straight and over 150 by the kink. This is where I started to loose confidence because the car starts feeling quite light at 150 and over. It feels stuck hard to the ground up to 150 though. Combined with the tail wagging, this makes me give more thought to adding the Crawford Wing for track use only. Front straight kept getting faster and faster as I pushed turn 12 harder. Power was able to be put down nicely in turn 4, which made my entry into the esses much higher than I was accustomed to. Never did get comfortable with the entry or the esses for that matter. I lost a lot of time from turn 1 through turn 5 all weekend and never did get very confident in this section.

Car was very easy to drive fast from the exit of 5 until I would loose my nerve accelerating on the back straight. This car was made for turn 6. Felt amazing. It also leaps out of turn seven like nothing I have ever experienced. 10a and 10b were lots of fun in the middle of the powerband. I kept adding more speed each session after passing under the bridge and never did feel like turn 12 was even close to the limit (that is one place I will probably not ever reach the limit - nothing but walls).

All in all, the car was exceptional. 280 total track miles. 8 sessions of roughly 35 miles each. 80 gallons of fuel. 600 ml of oil. 1/2 set of break pads. 30-40% tire usage. One small windshield chip. Tons of rubber to clean off the front. 1.6 max g's on each side. 1.45 max braking g's. None of my previous cars made me feel like I was out of my league, but this one sure does. My perception of my own driving skill dropped after this weekend. I am going to need more instruction before I am able to remotely put this car to use. Best couple of laps were 1:37s. Several in the 1:38 and 1:39 range, but most were right at 1:40. Terrible for the car, but perhaps passable for my first track outing in a new ride. I have no doubt that a good driver could break 1:30 in a 991 GT3. For comparison the fastest club racer in a 997 RSR was averaging 1:26s - 1:24 best. Our very own Paver was there with his 997 GT3 (he was easily faster around than me) and he was quite helpful with both advice and torque wrench. I would bet he could crack 1:30 in my car. Big thanks out to Paver!

Will post again in this thread as I progress along the path of becoming proficient in my GT3.

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Just noticed I need to update my avatar and sig pics.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:53 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Pics of fish?

Where's the GT3 at the track, on the road trip?

Glad to see you are enjoying the car.

Quick Reply: First Post and My Build