Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you feel the Torque Vectoring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Dostler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you feel the Torque Vectoring?

Ok Fellas, Now that my build is but a month away my thoughts have turned to actually driving the darn thing. Having read everything I can find, much is made of the RWS but nobody ever mentions the torque vectoring. If I push my Audi S4 I can feel it subtlety. It's much needed in that car, if a bit eerie.

My question is can you feel it and when? I would think it would be most obvious on sweepers, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope.
With PDCC on a Carrera S and Sport PASM, the rear end feels quite horrible. It walks and shimmies around like a drunk sailor on deck during a storm. In the GT3, there's just no superlative to do it justice. It's the unshakeable of unshakeables. It is unflappable and on rails. Laser-guided, apex-seeking, shaving the hundredths of your lap times, widening your smile till you're laughing out loud in your helmet, defying the laws of physics, scoffing at the scuffing of the tire shoulders. It has the self-medicated toe-in that makes the next apex a shoe-in, and you just can't get enough of it.

With a bow of respect to George Carlin, who could have really made that a funny paragraph ... miss that old bastard.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
With a bow of respect to George Carlin, who could have really made that a funny paragraph ... miss that old bastard.
+1
Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Dostler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. You might not have made me laugh but I'm even more fired up to get my hands on it and start answering these things for myself!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Yes, GT3 keeps torquing my vector towards a nearby track every other weekend
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

You feel it most when you need new brake pads because it makes the rear ones wear out as fast as the front ones! Thereby confirming its effect on the wallet!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You feel it most when you need new brake pads because it makes the rear ones wear out as fast as the front ones! Thereby confirming its effect on the wallet!
My front ones are almost done and rears have 2/3 left. Anyone has any different experience? I think torque vectoring brake application is very gentle compared to threshold braking. There is only so much differential braking you can apply without making the car spin. So it should not be huge impact on pad wear. I think traction control would eat rear pads much more than that.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My front ones are almost done and rears have 2/3 left. Anyone has any different experience? I think torque vectoring brake application is very gentle compared to threshold braking. There is only so much differential braking you can apply without making the car spin. So it should not be huge impact on pad wear. I think traction control would eat rear pads much more than that.
Same here. Fronts are wearing much faster than the rears. I upgraded to RS29’s after 5 track days but the rears had more than ½ life left – fronts were almost toast. I always run with ESC off (and often ESC+TC off). PTV very subtle.

Quick Reply: Can you feel the Torque Vectoring?