991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manifold's Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts
Default Manifold's Build

Still not sure whether I'm going to pull the trigger on the car (will decide within a few days), but here's the build I'm looking at:

White
Standard Interior in Black with Seats in Leather/Alcantara®
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Seat Belts in Guards Red
Floor Mats
Fire Extinguisher
Lightweight Bucket Seats
Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App
Voice Control
Sound Package Plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
$139,760

Not quite a stripper, but seems reasonable for about 20 or 25 track days a year, plus DD many days a year.

Opinions appreciated on options to subtract or add, keeping in mind that I want to keep the cost down somewhat, not too concerned about looks, I like Nav, and have found voice control helpful in one of my other cars. The red seat belts are cheap and will go nicely with the red calipers, so that's a concession to looks. Not sure about the exterior color yet, but white is the default for now.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:22 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extinguisher, which I have, is said not to be the best choice for track use. I seem to recall some threads in the 997 forum. Like you I got it anyway.

Sport chrono, not sure I get the point. Aftermarket GPS based systems are better.

Voice control. It think some have said that it sucks in the GT3 b/c ambient noise.

I'd add in all the zero cost options (smoker's package, net in footwell, etc)

I wish I got red deviated stitching.

I got sound package plus as well. Just don't expect it to sound very good.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Still not sure whether I'm going to pull the trigger on the car (will decide within a few days), but here's the build I'm looking at:

White
Standard Interior in Black with Seats in Leather/Alcantara®
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Seat Belts in Guards Red
Floor Mats
Fire Extinguisher
Lightweight Bucket Seats
Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App
Voice Control
Sound Package Plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
$139,760

Not quite a stripper, but seems reasonable for about 20 or 25 track days a year, plus DD many days a year.

Opinions appreciated on options to subtract or add, keeping in mind that I want to keep the cost down somewhat, not too concerned about looks, I like Nav, and have found voice control helpful in one of my other cars. The red seat belts are cheap and will go nicely with the red calipers, so that's a concession to looks. Not sure about the exterior color yet, but white is the default for now.
Nice build. Now just get the car !!!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:25 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Extinguisher, which I have, is said not to be the best choice for track use. I seem to recall some threads in the 997 forum. Like you I got it anyway.

Sport chrono, not sure I get the point. Aftermarket GPS based systems are better.

Voice control. It think some have said that it sucks in the GT3 b/c ambient noise.

+1 on your suggestions.

You wouldn't think the sound could get worse without it, but it is. I am getting SPP.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks, some thoughts below.

I figure it's cheap, and maybe attachment to car is better than aftermarket.

Agreed, though with the link to the app, which may upgrade over time, and integration into the car's systems, this could be a very convenient way to do data analysis (I'm very lazy about this stuff).

May need to delete in that case.

Yes, I forgot the net. I don't smoke, but does that package take away any functionality?

Might go nice with red belts, but would the sport buckets have it?

I'm only getting it because it's required to get the nav.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build. It's properly configured to be your next track car. Remove voice control, it really doesn't make sense, just my opinion though.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

Manifold,

Do you due diligence on voice control. . just what I remember reading.

Smokers package is cool b/c it adds another convenient 12V outlet in an otherwise unused area of the center console, along with a lid covering it. I don't smoke either.

Stitching. . . I think the buckets would have it. I think it would look great on a white car but since mine is red, I thought it would be overkill. In reality, it would have not. Red belts are a must. Adds a nice, subtle splash of color. in an otherwise gray/black interior.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks, some thoughts below.

Yes, I forgot the net. I don't smoke, but does that package take away any functionality?

Might go nice with red belts, but would the sport buckets have it?
Personal thoughts: I saw the net in a 991 and thought it looked cheesy; couldn't imagine what I'd ever put in there that wouldn't make it look even cheesier. Personally I like the platinum stitching. Unless you go with CF or anthracite trim there are too many competing color elements inside, but that's totally subjective. Get what you like, obviously. Oh, and yes, the sport buckets will have the red stitiching if you order that. Red belts will show soil more easily over time; my red harness certainly did and besides I didn't want to draw attention to my seat belts, FCOL. Again a totally subjective choice, I'm sure many would disagree.

The smoker's package adds another 12V source with the cig lighter and a lid over the cubbyhole at the end of the console for a more finished look. You don't lose any functionality unless you plan to put something in the cubby that won't fit under the lid. I think it's a "should get".

Good luck with your decision....
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Manifold,

Do you due diligence on voice control. . just what I remember reading.

Smokers package is cool b/c it adds another convenient 12V outlet in an otherwise unused area of the center console, along with a lid covering it. I don't smoke either.

Stitching. . . I think the buckets would have it. I think it would look great on a white car but since mine is red, I thought it would be overkill. In reality, it would have not. Red belts are a must. Adds a nice, subtle splash of color. in an otherwise gray/black interior.
Will do a forum search on voice control, or post new thread if needed. Not a must have, but works really well in the C63.

I'll add the smoking package.

Can't find option for red stitching. Some other option name?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I couldn't agree more with Mike on changing the interior trim.

Buckets ended up being a very expensive option for me as buckets + red stitching + carbon looks very good in the visualizer. I was originally going 4-way + standard stitching/trim.

Definitely keep the Fire Extinguisher - there is a risk that the aftermarket mounts won't work well with the new buckets and $140 is very cheap insurance.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Will do a forum search on voice control, or post new thread if needed. Not a must have, but works really well in the C63.

I'll add the smoking package.

Can't find option for red stitching. Some other option name?
Voice control works well in the C63 no doubt because it's a quiet interior. Word is that a lot of ambient noise in the GT3 makes it problematic.

Leather Interior Package with Decorative Red Stitching ($1490) is found under the Options tab and then Interior Leather....
Old 09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Personal thoughts: I saw the net in a 991 and thought it looked cheesy; couldn't imagine what I'd ever put in there that wouldn't make it look even cheesier. Personally I like the platinum stitching. Unless you go with CF or anthracite trim there are too many competing color elements inside, but that's totally subjective. Get what you like, obviously. Oh, and yes, the sport buckets will have the red stitiching if you order that. Red belts will show soil more easily over time; my red harness certainly did and besides I didn't want to draw attention to my seat belts, FCOL. Again a totally subjective choice, I'm sure many would disagree.

The smoker's package adds another 12V source with the cig lighter and a lid over the cubbyhole at the end of the console for a more finished look. You don't lose any functionality unless you plan to put something in the cubby that won't fit under the lid. I think it's a "should get".

Good luck with your decision....
x100 on belts.....any color other than black will look horrible in 2-3 years of use and they aren't easily cleaned once they start to get marks and dirt in them.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
brass4321
Racer

I am ordering voice control because I assume that I will use it primarily for entering addresses into the NAV, which for me would normally be at a standstill, so ambient noise should not be an issue. That may be flawed logic, I don't know.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
x100 on belts.....any color other than black will look horrible in 2-3 years of use and they aren't easily cleaned once they start to get marks and dirt in them.
We have red belts in the Cayman R (white exterior, black interior), and they still look great after 3 years, at least 35K miles, more than 100 track days, some of those track sessions in rain with open windows.

BTW, red stitching requires other leather at cost of more than $3K, so leaning towards passing on that. Plus, I don't mind a somewhat spartan interior, though splash of color is nice with the belts.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm leaning towards skipping front axle lift because it's expensive, adds weight, integrated into front shocks and maybe makes their eventual replacement cost higher, more stuff to go wrong (and associated risk on track), and I don't mind scraping under the car if the damage is only cosmetic. Am I wrong? Seems like people are having varying experiences with this.

Quick Reply: Manifold's Build