Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you with a 991 GT3 AND GT3 RS on order...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014 | 09:22 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Default For those of you with a 991 GT3 AND GT3 RS on order...

I'm a relative newbie here and still getting a feel of the members of this forum. I'm curious about the thinking/rationale for those of you who have bought/confirmed a 991 GT3 and at the same time have a GT3 RS on order.

What are your plans going to be? Are you going to keep both? Or are you going to trade-in/sell the GT3 once the GT3 RS arrives?

Yes, I know we have no confirmed details about the price/engine/specs of the GT3 RS, but let's assume the following thing: the RS will likely perform better, be a little lighter, be a little more "hard core", look more aggressive, and you can afford the car (obviously, if you have it on order).

Would love to hear from those in this privileged position.
Old 09-07-2014 | 09:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

"on order" is a tricky description here... I know several posters here that talk about having one on order, the first allocation, etc. This is a car that we have no idea when its actually going to be produced, in what number, at what price, etc. Unless someone has different info, I think that all there are right now are "waiting lists", not orders.

If you use that language, I have a confirmed November build 991 GT3 that will deliver in December. I also have a deposit that I have placed to be on the waiting list for an RS at the same dealer. My plan is to trade in the GT3 for the RS when it comes. And if for some reason I don't get to purchase an RS, I will at least have the GT3. All of this is pending a wild hair move to actually purchase a mint 3.8 RS and just wait on the whole 991 thing altogether About the same price as a 991 GT3 nicely equipped, so its an interesting dilemma, at least to me...
Old 09-07-2014 | 09:57 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I think getting a GT3 and seeing what happens on the RS is a sound strategy. I am told by my dealer that they will be scarce. I guess we will see.
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:09 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

I have a GT3 confirmed and to be delivered in Dec with the number one slot on the RS at a dealer.

It's very hard to know what I'll do yet, but there are really three possibilities:
1) Keep both, drive the GT3 as my daily and garage queen the RS
2) Trade/sell the GT3 and keep the RS, buy something else as DD - probably a Targa
3) Not take or not get the RS and keep the GT3
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

RS's will be as rare as hens tooths. Dunno on pricing as that has been a subject of much speculation. But 200 ish for the US, half of which are allocated to 918 owners shouldn't be far off.

I'm on the list but a realist.
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:18 PM
918man
Racer

I have a gt3. A rs allocation and a 918 order.

I plan to drive them all.
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:23 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Do you plan on tracking them at all 918man? Would be an interesting comparison to hear.
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I'm "promised" an RS but like Frayed, not holding my breath. If I do get one, I will trade in the GT3. Two things will make me not take the RS (if I get an allocation): 1-Base price in excess of 200K (which I doubt), because my intention is to track it (plus some/a bunch road driving). 2-If the engine is a tweaked 3.8 or "only" making 500 hp. That said, if the car is over $200, and has 500 hp but has a significant time savings on track, I may have to re-assess my stance.
Old 09-07-2014 | 10:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I'm "promised" an RS but like Frayed, not holding my breath. If I do get one, I will trade in the GT3. Two things will make me not take the RS (if I get an allocation): 1-Base price in excess of 200K (which I doubt), because my intention is to track it (plus some/a bunch road driving). 2-If the engine is a tweaked 3.8 or "only" making 500 hp. That said, if the car is over $200, and has 500 hp but has a significant time savings on track, I may have to re-assess my stance.
I sorta agree. But it's not hp that would make the RS sexy. It's torque. The GT3 makes plenty of juice IMO. But the driving/ownership experience will not change much w/o displacement. IMO. (when it comes to power)

Now, what would be compelling is more grip. The GT3 offers amazing grip, right? But having owned seven 911s including several GT3s, we all know that reflexes and grip are what make these cars special.

Despite all my silly posts here, I'm a realist and do not believe the RS will be much lighter. At least light enough to feel. You will not feel 100 lbs. The car is so honed there isn't a lot of lead to be removed. So how does PAG generate more sharpness, more grip?

Widebody and revised suspension. A lil extra driving intensity with revised PDK mapping, ltw fly.

Really interested in the specs of the new metal. I don't think we'll know officially till Januaryish
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
I sorta agree. But it's not hp that would make the RS sexy. It's torque. The GT3 makes plenty of juice IMO. But the driving/ownership experience will not change much w/o displacement. IMO. (when it comes to power)

Now, what would be compelling is more grip. The GT3 offers amazing grip, right? But having owned seven 911s including several GT3s, we all know that reflexes and grip are what make these cars special.

Despite all my silly posts here, I'm a realist and do not believe the RS will be much lighter. At least light enough to feel. You will not feel 100 lbs. The car is so honed there isn't a lot of lead to be removed. So how does PAG generate more sharpness, more grip?

Widebody and revised suspension. A lil extra driving intensity with revised PDK mapping, ltw fly.

Really interested in the specs of the new metal. I don't think we'll know officially till Januaryish
Good points. I hope we hear something soon.
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:23 PM
oc997
Racer

I just picked up a 991 GT3 but would love to get on list for RS if anyone knows which dealer to contact for msrp?

I would probably pass on RS if it was not NA and turbo as I have a small suspicion it maybe the GT2 RS.
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Paris seems to make the most sense at this point. Oct 1 you have the change at the helm of the Motorsports division, Oct 2 is opening day at Paris.

If they announce in Oct, it lines up well for allocations/orders assuming the Feb GT3 stop is true.

Walliser who is taking over the Motorsports division will stay as the head of the 918, so who knows what technology will trickle down..
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:29 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 918man
I have a gt3. A rs allocation and a 918 order.

I plan to drive them all.
It may bet that most of the production will go to 918 owners. Part of the inducement to buy a 918.

If I were offered an allocation I probably would buy one. I guess we will see.
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:49 PM
oc997
Racer

Default I

It almost seems like the RS is the carrot to fill their allocations for 918.

I wish they made only 189 units or something I feel like making 918 units was too many and a big mistake for Porsche as this car won't have the upside of a P1 and La Ferrari unless it's smoking the competition on track times.

I would have considered the 918 almost just to take the RS but I am concerned about the downside exposure of the 918 and how the second hand market will receive it.

My dealer has offered me a 918 a few times and I can still get one today. It remains to be seen if this will appreciate like a CGT.
Old 09-08-2014 | 12:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

New toy Can't wait to see the spec and price. Personally I think it will be announced this yr. Jan announcement is too late for a 2015 MY, IMHO. PAG needs to keep the price low and specs kick a$$

Quick Reply: For those of you with a 991 GT3 AND GT3 RS on order...