Sponsored by:

MovIt Brakes Now taking order for the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This would change... Well, basically everything including the tilt of the earth's axis, it would be so momentous.
My understanding is that you can, but that you would not want to track with them.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:00 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought durability was a big plus for these? So they are not good for the track?.. What's the advantage over pccb then?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought durability was a big plus for these? So they are not good for the track?.. What's the advantage over pccb then?
I think you could track these as you can then get them resurfaced for a fraction of the price of a new disc.

PCCB when used you throw in the bin, these you just get them repaired. Same for chips etc etc.

My idea was to spec steels and pay for the CER brakes so to save myself the PCCB expenditure and still have ceramic lighter brakes albeit replaceable and re-sellable when I move on with the car.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 AM
brass4321
Racer

I would suggest sending a PM to Tom from Movit as I don't have a complete answer yet. He explained that their ceramics are typically larger both in diameter in thickness to allow for additional cooling.

I think that since ceramic rotors weigh less, the rotor does not contribute as much to brake torque, so the pads are doing more of the work than with steel. Where steel rotors need more air in the center of the disc, ceramic rotors need proportionately more air directed to the caliper and pad, which gets to the larger surface area of these rotors.

What I'm not sure about is if this means that a ceramic rotor of the same size as the steel rotor will actually perform worse or if it's just that the pads will just wear out faster.

Either way, buying just the Movit rotors to use with the steel brakes is a more expensive option than to just spec the PCCB. Neither option is as good for the track as using the original steel rotors.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
I've got the full Movit brake system ordered for my GT3 here in Aus. I can highly recommend Tom and the level of service he provides for Movit.

Movit USA have been a pleasure to deal with, honest and very helpful. Looking forward to receiving the kit and getting them fitted up. Note I'm not affiliated with Movit in any way, Just an avid track user looking for an ideal braking solution.
Hey Slip,

Did you order your GT3 with steel brakes? Also, please post photos once you have it all setup, i'm also from Australia and will be cool to know we have a nicely modded GT3 roaming our streets!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Reza
Hey Slip,

Did you order your GT3 with steel brakes? Also, please post photos once you have it all setup, i'm also from Australia and will be cool to know we have a nicely modded GT3 roaming our streets!
Yep, my GT3 has the steel brakes. It was originally spec'd by the dealer principle as his own vehicle before I bought it so I didn't have a choice with the options. I ordered the PCCB's from Suncoast before finding out about the Mo'vit kit.

I've got the Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors on my R35 GTR and they have worked flawlessly at many track outings around Aus (Mallala, PI, Hidden Valley, Sandown, Eastern Creek) . Never had any issues with them and once we got the pad choice worked out they just don't wear.

I did a heap of research and reading on the Mo'vit brakes and decided to bite the billet and buy the full kit. This will upgrade the size and width of the rotors all round compared with both the stock cast iron and also the PCCB's.

So in the end I'll have the stock cast iron rotors, the full PCCB kit and also the full Movit kit. I'll run the PCCB's until the Movit kit is ready to ship and then put them in storage (or maybe like some of the guys here make some wall clocks out of the rotors....). If anyone questions the durability of the Mo'vit rotors for track work they only need to look at the install on the 997 GT3RS 4.0 to see how they held up.

Will post pics when they're installed and provide feedback from the track outings.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
brass4321
Racer

Yep, my GT3 has the steel brakes. It was originally spec'd by the dealer principle as his own vehicle before I bought it so I didn't have a choice with the options. I ordered the PCCB's from Suncoast before finding out about the Mo'vit kit.

I've got the Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors on my R35 GTR and they have worked flawlessly at many track outings around Aus (Mallala, PI, Hidden Valley, Sandown, Eastern Creek) . Never had any issues with them and once we got the pad choice worked out they just don't wear.

I did a heap of research and reading on the Mo'vit brakes and decided to bite the billet and buy the full kit. This will upgrade the size and width of the rotors all round compared with both the stock cast iron and also the PCCB's.

So in the end I'll have the stock cast iron rotors, the full PCCB kit and also the full Movit kit. I'll run the PCCB's until the Movit kit is ready to ship and then put them in storage (or maybe like some of the guys here make some wall clocks out of the rotors....). If anyone questions the durability of the Mo'vit rotors for track work they only need to look at the install on the 997 GT3RS 4.0 to see how they held up.

Will post pics when they're installed and provide feedback from the track outings.
How are the Movit brakes for daily driving? How do they feel when cold?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Slip, I'm using ST rotors as well. What pads do you use on the GTR?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
TonyGTS
Track Day

How's the performance of Mov'it or Surface Transforms Carbon rotors when used in conjunction with OEM PCCB calipers for track use?

Last edited by TonyGTS; 09-09-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
MovIt Brakes USA
Banned

Originally Posted by rosino
I am also interested in this. If I have steel rotors can I upgrade to Movit CER rotors without changing my calipers ?
There are many things to be considered when it comes to understanding the dynamics and engineering requirements of an effective high performance braking system. All of the components must work together to maximize the system efficiency and performance in the most demanding conditions.

Rotors:
There are different thicknesses, diameters and most importantly the friction surface height (annulus) itself. The OE PCCB rotor annulus is shorter than the MovIt CER Rotor as are the PCCB pads, when compared to the MovIt friction surface and pads. The rotor in the full upgrade MOVIT system is 40mm thick. By comparison, the OE PCCB is rotor 34mm thick (997) 36mm thick (991). The MOVIT CER rotors have more friction surface area and are thicker to dissipate heat more quickly than the PCCB or other CCM rotors, which also provides the added benefit of longer life and lower temperature for the larger MovIt pads.

Pads:
Next is the pad of course which we pretty much just covered. The taller pad is a larger pad that can handle more heat then a smaller pad can. Making it run cooler and last longer then a smaller shorter pad like the OE pad. Cooler pads equal longer pad life and more importantly less fading under extreme conditions. Again all these parts need to be built to work in concert together or you run into issues. MOVIT pads also feature a unique "ANTI-NOISE" system which suppresses any kind of squealing during braking. Designed and created for comfortable silent street cars.

Calipers
MOVIT calipers are a 6-piston BILLET design, have a large range of pistons sizes (15+ sets of custom designed configurations based on application), longer pads (108 cm²), are CNC machined from the highest strength 7075 billet aluminum, then T6 heat treated.
The MOVIT caliper is the strongest in the industry and does not lose its strength even under extreme temperatures, unlike cast or forged calipers. The aluminum which is used in cast calipers (alsi5 or alsi7) has a strength factor of approximately 32K-35K PSI. With an additional heat treatment this strength can be raised to approximately 42K PSI. The premium material used for each "MOV’IT BILLET-CALIPER" has a strength factor of approximately 80K-83K PSI. As a result, expansion and flex under high pressure and heat is largely eliminated.
PCCB 997 calipers provide poorer modulation under the same conditions where the MovIt Billet calipers excel. The caliper stiffness factor is the reason. 997 calipers bevel the pads due to the distortion of the calipers under extreme loads and temperatures. The MovIt Billet calipers do not distort or bevel the pads under the same conditions.
CNC profile-machined calipers occupy less space, which allows fitment of a larger rotor under the same wheel diameter when compared to a cast caliper system. The extremely strong and "wide" design of the "MOV’IT BILLET-Calipers" means the pressure to the pad is applied evenly even under the most demanding conditions. The heat generated in braking is transferred to the maximum possible surface area, the temperature stays lower and the durability of all parts is higher. Cast calipers do not compress the pads evenly to the rotor as they expand under higher pressure and temperature. As a result, the rotor is not evenly heated and pads will wear unevenly and at a higher rate. This results in loss of the already lower braking force of cast calipers on the smaller PCCB rotors, and vibration under higher temperatures due to the uneven heating of the rotor.

It cannot be emphasized enough the number of clients that have purchased the MOVIT CER OE-replacement rotors, then months or, in some instances, just weeks later, contacted us and ordered the FULL MovIt system and resold the OE-sized CER rotors. The improved pedal modulation and overall performance the full MOVIT CER kit offers over the simple replacement of the rotors cannot be over-emphasized. The full MovIt brake system simply outperforms the OE system hands down.

While it does offer improved braking to upgrade from the PCCB rotors to the
MovIt CER design, and retaining the OE Porsche Calipers, the superior pedal modulation, pad wear, and overall performance of the brake system is realized ONLY by upgrading with the entire MOVIT system of larger rotors and billet calipers that was engineered and designed to provide the ultimate braking experience.

We will have the full MovIt Brake kits, CER replacement rotors for the OE steel rotors and the CER replacement rotors for the PCCB rotors available for the 991 GT3

Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

sounds like there is no reason to ever spec pccb again.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like there is no reason to ever spec pccb again.
This is what I was thinking when I specced steel on mine..
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM
brass4321
Racer

If I do go ceramic, Movit will be my choice. If I end up tracking, I will probably go for it. As a DD only, I will probably stick with steel.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
MovIt Brakes USA
Banned

Originally Posted by brass4321
If I do go ceramic, Movit will be my choice. If I end up tracking, I will probably go for it. As a DD only, I will probably stick with steel.
We look forward to working with you Josh, Thank you. :-)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Slip, I'm using ST rotors as well. What pads do you use on the GTR?
I've got the Endless LF2 (W007) installed on the GTR, went through a lot of testing to get it sorted, a write up here:

GTR CCM Brake write up

Endless have newer versions of these pads available now but I haven't had a chance to try them out as I still have quite a few sets of the LF2's here.

Quick Reply: MovIt Brakes Now taking order for the 991 GT3