991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 base price is $78,995

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014 | 08:40 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Not sure this pricing model is indicative to just Porsche. The 2011 model GT3 was 11% cheaper than the current base for base model. Thus 4 years of cost index with imports, and the EU cost of production may have impact? I have a place in AMS, and the US is far cheaper than the US all around. Looks like cost is being passed to the US base. Also the same Z06 in the EU will be off the charts above 150k US I would estimate. BMW pricing is similar on M cars.

No knock on the Z06 I would drive it if someone gave it to me, but I would never buy one. My opinion it has the GM quality or lack there of .......too much plastic. We should be ashamed of ourselves bitching about prices on 6 figures cars(: My mom still believes I'm foolish for doing such a thing(: I say buy what you like, and enjoy it!
Old 08-24-2014 | 09:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I was hoping my next one would be back into a GT3 or RS since my health has been restored including my back.
Glad to hear the back is good. That was a long road as I recall.

Originally Posted by Macca
As for China. My view is its all "cooked books" but like our mate Bernie Maddoff you can get away with this for a long time if you have the cashflow!
Courtesy of the world's number one book-cooker.
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Valet mode..
http://blog.caranddriver.com/valets-...data-recorder/
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:22 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zucc
Just curious, why is everyone so sure that the RS is going to be 200k? Any official word from Porsche?
If the past serves any idea on what the RS will base price at, MSRP, generally Porsche prices the GT3 RS the same as the same years Turbo. It's not until the managers agree on outfitting their cars at the PCNA options that added about over $25K or more!

Of course anyone's best bet is to get their own allocation they can fart around with before the dealer can put a Dash Wart on it. PCCBs and CLs will be standard issue I imagine. But the $64,000 question is what type of motor and what's the power? Hell I just say slap a 4.0 in that beyotch and be done with it. That would not dilute the GT3RS4.0 in the least.

My question, and it isn't really related to this subject is when is Porsche going to start rolling out their new 4 and 8 cylinder engines? With VW they are still biting at the bit on a car that slots in under the Cayman and Boxster.
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

A flat 8 would make it a $200k car and I'd take it.
Turbo 4's they can keep, I'm hoping we still see a 3.8. Cayman before it all goes turbo 4 and turbo 6 across the model line.

RS zero option, pick color, I say <$160 with 3.8 and < $175 with a 4.0, cost no more to build so a 4.0 is the logical step for Porsche to go with all the boy racer vents, scoops and mega spoiler.
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:38 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Don't forget to include in the price comparison the depreciation factor. If the Z and GT are driven similar miles, cared for the same, etc...what you save on the front end might all be given back on the back end or more. I had a Z06 and have nothing but good memories of that car but in terms of long term ownership experience and valuation it doesn't come close to a GT3. FWIW, wait for the early adopters to have their fun with them and then pick one up a year or two later for 25%+ less than MSRP. Even if I had a 991RS, the C7 Z06 at that price is a no brainier.
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:58 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Really??? One look at any track day and a confident driver in a mildly track-prepped c6 Z06 will be giving most cup cars run for their money...this one is just going to be even more deadly and with a far more advanced suspension and aero setup to begin with...

As far as how it is on the street...sure, some things won't be up to Porsche "standards" (even while sliding), but are they 30-90k worse?
Anybody whos been to a track knows about the Vettes abilities
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Don't forget to include in the price comparison the depreciation factor. If the Z and GT are driven similar miles, cared for the same, etc...what you save on the front end might all be given back on the back end or more. I had a Z06 and have nothing but good memories of that car but in terms of long term ownership experience and valuation it doesn't come close to a GT3. FWIW, wait for the early adopters to have their fun with them and then pick one up a year or two later for 25%+ less than MSRP. Even if I had a 991RS, the C7 Z06 at that price is a no brainier.
This is very true, but I do think that the cost of maintenance during the ownership period is greater for the GT3 than it is for the Vette -- although with the C7 Z06 and its 650/650 hp-tq, the money you spend on rear tires might end up being more than the car itself.
Old 08-25-2014 | 12:10 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This is very true, but I do think that the cost of maintenance during the ownership period is greater for the GT3 than it is for the Vette -- although with the C7 Z06 and its 650/650 hp-tq, the money you spend on rear tires might end up being more than the car itself.
I wouldn't say the GT3 is thrifty on tires if you track it.
Old 08-25-2014 | 12:12 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the z06 has been annihilating GT3s at the track for almost a decade. And at a substantial discount. I don't see how this is news.

I didn't desire a z06 before, nor do I desire one now.
Old 08-25-2014 | 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I wouldn't say the GT3 is thrifty on tires if you track it.
Agreed, but the C7 Z06 won't be thrifty on tires even if you don't track it ...
Old 08-25-2014 | 12:19 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
Yeah, the z06 has been annihilating GT3s at the track for almost a decade. And at a substantial discount. I don't see how this is news. I didn't desire a z06 before, nor do I desire one now.
I love Porsches, but I will always remember one of my first track days. My instructor had a Z06. It was a remarkable experience. I still remember pulling onto the track and him saying we're going to catch that Viper before our first lap is done. Sure enough......I will always have a desire to have one of those machines.
Old 08-25-2014 | 12:37 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Agreed, but the C7 Z06 won't be thrifty on tires even if you don't track it ...
It has TC and the other gadgets to give it grip. It might not be too bad with a little self control.

Then again. Who buys a Vette that has self control?
Old 08-25-2014 | 02:43 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Yea Macca it seems petty to complain given the prices the ROW has to pay.
I hope Porsche pays attention to the long term markets, you never know what
will happen with Eastern markets given the geopolitical climates in places like that.
That booming market could go bust quickly, then the US would be the same market it
always has. I saw a video of the ghost towns of China. New Modern Towns that are
miles and Miles long with new apartments and houses and buildings as far as
the eyes can see. With not a single person living in those towns. I dont remember
what news organization it was but they said it was on the verge of a huge downturn.
I dont understand how economies like that work, so I take those reports with a large
of salt.
It was on CBS 60 min couple weeks ago. Unbelievable.
Old 08-25-2014 | 03:17 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I was hoping my next one would be back into a GT3 or RS since my health has been restored including my back.
Glad to hear the back is good. That was a long road as I recall.
thanks Nizer! After what I went through I feel privileged just to have a chance to be back in this forum and take part! After the 2nd surgery and I will still struggling with the pain, I decided to do the only thing I know to do with my body and that was to just exercise till either I got better or died. AND I got better! I was able to dump all the medical crap I had to do (meds, electrostim, etc etc) and just worked out and worked out till I started getting stronger and stronger (I used to ride close to 10,000miles a year on my bicycle a advantage of living in the desert) and now I could probably do a track day. Wasnt 6 months ago I couldnt have crewed a track day much less drove in one.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 base price is $78,995