Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 The Failed GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the GT4 does come with a manual. Porsche needs at least one track car with a manual. The GT4 would be a great choice. Providing they give it enough HP.

How about a GT4 with a GT3 motor? It will never happen, but would that be a hot seller?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I have a question, what high end company is offering a manual in their track oriented vehicle? Any? Ferrari? No. Lambo? No. Mclaren? No. Pagani and Koenigsegg have to be custom ordered in the millions. No one ever reviews an F12 or a 458 and says "wow sure do miss the manual". No one even mentions it with any other car company because it has been the only holdout. Everytime I see a review no one ever even thinks about a manual in any other car......just the GT3 and then it's all tears and boo hoo hoo "where is my little clutch pedal" :-(
IMO, that comparison isn't valid. Those other cars are very expensive, purchased by guys in a much higher average income/wealth bracket than GT3 guys, and not driven on the track much. Porsches are financially accessible to a much larger group, and purportedly targeted more towards purists and people who intend to drive on the track a fair amount. Basically, different markets (though of course the overlap isn't zero).
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I agree. The GT3 is competing more with cars like the Z06 than the Ferrari's.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Yeh but you have to believe that on the 991 GT3 Porsche sold out and went after the 458. For some reason, from the start; when I learned that there would be no manual and the performance numbers were coming close to matching the 458 -I immediately thought they wanted to show Ferrari what they can produce. It just seemed a little coincidental to me
Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

The Z06 is a supercharged V8 with electronically aided manual hardly purity in experience, although it remains to be seen. The new manuals are very muted in feel and approaching dual clutch gearboxes more and more each year. I guess people feel about PDK the way I feel about forced induction. When I can get the same pedal feel with turbo and supercharging as a NA engine, then I'll convert to the former.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Dude-
Pro

I seriously doubt the Gt3s are competing against the Z06 crowd. All 991 GT3 owners can afford a zo6 not the other way around by long shot. Sure there are some Z06 owner who have very exotic cars but that percentage is low.
On the flip side, can a GT3 owner afford an F car? the percentage is extremely high because the 991 GT3 is a complete disposable income where the owners understand high mileage and wreckage is part of the deal. So the question is, who has the deeper pocket? the guys who is willing to throw away a gt3 or a Fcar owner who will not drive beyond 3K for the purpose of retaining the value.
Its probably not true everywhere but in my neighborhood, the few F cars down the block never sees the sun and it only comes out for a spring wash. Another interesting twist is that a lot of the F car owners are the same owners of GT3 as you can see from our member list. In the end, I just proved nothing..... sorry to wasting your time. ( except the Z06 part)

Last edited by Dude-; 08-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
TrackFan
Banned

The Z06 is a supercharged V8 with electronically aided manual hardly purity in experience, although it remains to be seen. The new manuals are very muted in feel and approaching dual clutch gearboxes more and more each year. I guess people feel about PDK the way I feel about forced induction. When I can get the same pedal feel with turbo and supercharging as a NA engine, then I'll convert to the former.
There's no electronic control of the manual in the Vette unless you turn on the silly rev matching feature. Porsche has the same thing, but you have to take it in Sport plus. At least in the Vette you can put the car in track mode without the rev matching feature.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Instead of a manual in the GT3/GT3 RS. I'd like to see a street version of the Cup car.

For the guy who lives to track his car, but doesn't want to tow a Cup to the track. That sort of guy will put up with a crude, noisy, hard riding street Cup car to have the performance on the track. Perfect for NASA TT's.
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

There's no electronic control of the manual in the Vette unless you turn on the silly rev matching feature. Porsche has the same thing, but you have to take it in Sport plus. At least in the Vette you can put the car in track mode without the rev matching feature.
I thought it was turn OFF default rev matching, no?

And silly? Many will opt to use it on track. Especially in the blur of red mist. Why wouldn't you?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
TrackFan
Banned

It has paddles that turn it off and on in any mode.

I wouldn't use it, because I have too many years of not using it. Even if I turned it on i'd still be doing my own matching from muscle memory.

It has no business on the Z06. They didn't put it on the Z/28.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question, what high end company is offering a manual in their track oriented vehicle? Any? Ferrari? No. Lambo? No. Mclaren? No. Pagani and Koenigsegg have to be custom ordered in the millions. No one ever reviews an F12 or a 458 and says "wow sure do miss the manual". No one even mentions it with any other car company because it has been the only holdout. Everytime I see a review no one ever even thinks about a manual in any other car......just the GT3 and then it's all tears and boo hoo hoo "where is my little clutch pedal" :-(
I like a good heel and toe as much as the next guy but Motorsport is about performance, I don't hear the F1 guys begging to go back to a clutch pedal. Hell, every driving instructor at PDS has told me for years that PDK is better ie faster. Yet we still have this debate. I say if you want that "purity" go with an RS America or a 996 GT3 and have at it. I may buy one just for kicks as well..........
Flame on you crazy diamonds

PS sorry for the crazy rant but it is Monday morning and you guys are my support group..sniff, sniff
aston martin v12 vantage s, audi R8 GT
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
aston martin v12 vantage s, audi R8 GT
I hate you
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 AM
1louisvilleky
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

550 miles now I've put on my 991, the car is prob best described as its more of a turbo 911 type optioned car 2wd with a N/A motor, PDK shifts like nothing I've ever drove lightning fast, still getting used to it and what to do with my left leg, haven't really pushed the car to hard yet but it seems handle everything with spectacular ease, it has many things that are partial to the gt3 cars of the past just much more refined, the exhaust has a very unique sound it's definitely addictive, road noise is quieter car than the 997 for sure, body flex is still very rigid and firm, seems to be light years ahead of the 997 but not as engaging, now the over all thrill of just driving the car and the look of the car is unreal, it's a very sexy car no doubt, my 997 in no way was a daily driver, this car yes definitely with no problem, not sure yet what it's going to be on the track long term but time will tell

Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

The new(2014 +) Aston Martin V12 Vantage S does not come available with a manual. Only a horrible single clutch.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:11 AM
frayed
Race Car

It has paddles that turn it off and on in any mode.

I wouldn't use it, because I have too many years of not using it. Even if I turned it on i'd still be doing my own matching from muscle memory.

It has no business on the Z06. They didn't put it on the Z/28.
I don't believe you and your years of experience behind the wheel racing, b/c your posts are not written from a racers perspective in any manner, but from a car magazine troll. Benchracing extraordinaire from a 70 year old dude?

Anyway, on topic, they didn't put it in the Z/28 b/c the the motor/trans combo is not compatible with the newer generation electronic engine controls that, among other things, provide rev matching.

They didn't put it in the Z/28 for reasons well beyond 'not belonging there'. Rather, it relates to old school drivetrain technology.

----------

Quick Reply: 991 The Failed GT3