Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what's all the fuss about this GT3 sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014 | 04:02 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Thanks for posting...Nice roads you have there.

Perhaps relocating the mic further away from the exhaust would give a more natural sound ??

Will await your track videos..

Old 07-06-2014 | 04:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

HOLY **** that was fabulous! Man does the car scream at 9K. WOW!

Sam, thanks for the time it took to share with us who have yet to get our cars for the 7 minutes of phenomenal enjoyment.
Old 07-06-2014 | 04:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Hide the Women and Children!!!

Sam - you are the Poster child for why Porsche made sure these replaced engines were going to be perfect. I am not speaking too soon here but Porsche; "has delivered". I have never heard a road car scream like that. May I dare say - "EPIC"
Old 07-06-2014 | 04:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

If any one was on the fence they just fell off it. - literally. I am counting down the days

Can you imagine what tenGT3RS could be like if it remains NA??
Old 07-06-2014 | 05:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCBH
Now THAT is a video. Awesome. Thanks!
You bet, thanks!

Originally Posted by Arth
Wow! Just wow!!

Thank you for this
It was fun!

Originally Posted by JCBH
Yep - I have had my share of those moments, but those beasts are biiiig...So Cal bugs are far wimpier!
Yeah, and if you get those things on track and keep driving in the heat, they turn pink, like shrimp.

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Thanks! Not only for the video...but also for showing me that I can have a second career as a pest exterminator.

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
**** 9k is awesome. Best thing about the car for sure

Sent from my mobile using Rennlist
Yes, if you shift below 8K, you miss a lot.

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Thanks for posting...Nice roads you have there.

Perhaps relocating the mic further away from the exhaust would give a more natural sound ??

Will await your track videos..

Thanks. I am trying to understand if the high pitched sound is distortion from the exhaust or engine so I can relocate appropriately but you are right and next time, I will try to attach the mic below the exhaust, and to one side of it; that way it is further away from both.

Originally Posted by Nick
HOLY **** that was fabulous! Man does the car scream at 9K. WOW!

Sam, thanks for the time it took to share with us who have yet to get our cars for the 7 minutes of phenomenal enjoyment.
Thanks. It's not like it's a chore. Track planned for Thursday, provided I can go (good chance).
Old 07-06-2014 | 05:08 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Hide the Women and Children!!!

Sam - you are the Poster child for why Porsche made sure these replaced engines were going to be perfect. I am not speaking too soon here but Porsche; "has delivered". I have never heard a road car scream like that. May I dare say - "EPIC"
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If any one was on the fence they just fell off it. - literally. I am counting down the days

Can you imagine what tenGT3RS could be like if it remains NA??
I think they did a great job. I am close to 700 miles now and the engine is clearly loosening up. I am worried that with the RS, those bugs would get sucked in the side vents and clog the air filters. Good thing is their season is mainly July and August.
Old 07-06-2014 | 05:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Unreal!
Old 07-06-2014 | 06:06 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamFromTX

Thanks. I am trying to understand if the high pitched sound is distortion from the exhaust or engine so I can relocate appropriately but you are right and next time, I will try to attach the mic below the exhaust, and to one side of it; that way it is further away from both.
Thanks Sam for the video! I feel like a Kid waiting for Christmas!
The mic signal is getting overmodulated with 100+ db sound. If you mount it 1 - 2 feet away it will make all the difference in the world. I think when Arth made his video he had it mounted about 12 " away.
Old 07-06-2014 | 06:10 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

my entire life I thought nothing could sound better than The Beatles...i was wrong! All my exes live in Texas (maybe 1 more now)
Old 07-06-2014 | 06:33 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Here it is but note the emphasis was on safety as those roads are inhabited. Lots of downshifting.
I have the Sharwerk rear muffler bypass as well as Cargraphic headers and tips. I replaced the tips just for looks, I liked the perforated inserts.

GOPR0078 on Vimeo

just such an excellent sound the waiting now shear torture
Sam great new video and that sound wow
Old 07-06-2014 | 06:50 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

I love how it's all suvs and trucks and Sam's GT3. Like a ufo just landed. And, 55 mph feels seriously fast in a white GT3!
Old 07-06-2014 | 06:56 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll hit 9 today and report later.

Just do it! It is a very rev happy car.
Hi Sam:

How was it at 9 k rpm? I will do it soon. Will be in Spa and than Zandvoort (Netherlands) in one and a half weeks. On the track I usually loose all hesitance!
By the way - brave driving Sam
And - ahem - what are the fines for speeding in TX? I know - the GT3 does not slow
Enjoy and please report back

Peter

Edit: Sam I saw the video - so no need to elaborate on how it was

Last edited by Peterfirst; 07-06-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Saw video
Old 07-06-2014 | 07:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Life starts at 9k RPM... Our kid's generation of gearheads will hear ab these engines and say "those were the days when engine were naturally aspirated and they had to rev to make power, it's a very antiquated and inefficient way to do it, but it sounded amazing."
Old 07-06-2014 | 07:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thanks everyone. Peter, I do not know the fines for speeding in Texas because I wasn't speeding; please please post videos from Spa and Zandvoort. And thanks, Rob for the tip, I'll try it next time. I agree, CAlexio, future generations will never experience this. I truly think that 20-30 years from now, 2014 GT3s will be demanding 7 figure, especially because they had their epic engine replaced from the factory, a great story for sure. Note to naysayers, please don't e-shoot me for my opinion and mad love for this car!
Old 07-06-2014 | 08:15 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Here it is but note the emphasis was on safety as those roads are inhabited. Lots of downshifting.
I have the Sharwerk rear muffler bypass as well as Cargraphic headers and tips. I replaced the tips just for looks, I liked the perforated inserts.

GOPR0078 on Vimeo
Porsche should send you something very nice, very free, very fast. That's great!

Quick Reply: So what's all the fuss about this GT3 sound?