Sponsored by:

You guys have to see this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MyenShi
Funny. My car has been in San Diego since February 12... About 6 weeks. I've been told the VPC there is covered but exposed on the sides. Better than nothing, but far from ideal. I would much rather she be shipped here; at least I'd know where she is and how she's being stored. Going to need a very thorough detail.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Mine has only been there 2 weeks. Sounds like your car was among the last to land and get stopped just after the Stop Sale. Mine was among the last to get shipped from Emden just before the Stop Sale.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
My thoughts EXACTLY. Mine has only been there 2 weeks. Sounds like your car was among the last to land and get stopped just after the Stop Sale. Mine was among the last to get shipped from Emden just before the Stop Sale.
Whether 2 weeks or 6 weeks, we're all in the same unpleasant situation. I'd only want my car sitting at port for a few days, let alone a few weeks. Who knows what could happen? (Though I try not to think about it).

Yes, my car hit the ground the day after the stop-sale was issued. I saw the initial post about it here, which was the emotional equivalent of hitting a brick wall. In a roller coaster. Without even being properly strapped in. And then a puma shows up to eat you after telling you it doesn't know when your GT3 will be delivered.

I can't believe it's been 6 weeks. Back then, my only concern was whether or not my car would be processed before February 20th, which was when the ship heading this way was scheduled to depart. And if my SharkWerks bypass would get here before my car arrived.

Did it ever. It's been sitting under my coffee table for nearly two months now.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Whether 2 weeks or 6 weeks, we're all in the same unpleasant situation. I'd only want my car sitting at port for a few days, let alone a few weeks. Who knows what could happen? (Though I try not to think about it). Yes, my car hit the ground the day after the stop-sale was issued. I saw the initial post about it here, which was the emotional equivalent of hitting a brick wall. In a roller coaster. Without even being properly strapped in. And then a puma shows up to eat you after telling you it doesn't know when your GT3 will be delivered. I can't believe it's been 6 weeks. Back then, my only concern was whether or not my car would be processed before February 20th, which was when the ship heading this way was scheduled to depart. And if my SharkWerks bypass would get here before my car arrived. Did it ever. It's been sitting under my coffee table for nearly two months now.
That same puma visited me. I slaughtered it after it gave me the news.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Something weird about the 2 motor pictures
The handle on the carts are different, one is more flexed than the other
I think these are 2 different motors.....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
It's the same, notice wheels turned in and chip on black paint of cart under exhaust tips
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
It's handy for the sport exhaust mode. The vacuum cutouts bypass the side mufflers and continue to use the center muff.
It appears to me that the vacuum valve for the sport exhaust comes after the side mufflers so it can't be bypassing them. It looks instead like the valve opens a second pipe into the center muffler. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong....
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Originally Posted by JB991
It's the same, notice wheels turned in and chip on black paint of cart under exhaust tips
I think it's the same too.....the handle appears the same in both pics with allowance for the different perspective. Maybe having the pics right side up would help.....
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

If these pictures were taken recently, for what other reason are they removing the engine other than anticipating an immediate replacement?

Does anyone have any idea as to how many GT3 engines Porsche manufacturers daily? I would guess they could do 20-25 provided they have the parts.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of you are talking about the cars sitting out at the port. My dealer has a black and a white GT3 with the window stickers on them (assume customers have not paid for them) sitting outside for the past 4 weeks. Stopped by today and both cars are full of bird crap. If one of those was my car I would send pictures to PNA to let them know the lack of respect the dealer has for these cars and get added compensation.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think it's the same too.....the handle appears the same in both pics with allowance for the different perspective. Maybe having the pics right side up would help.....
Definitely the same, just different angles. Funny how the mind lets people see what they want to see.

That same puma visited me. I slaughtered it after it gave me the news.
Hope you made a good trophy out of it.

Originally Posted by Clocked
some of you are talking about the cars sitting out at the port. My dealer has a black and a white GT3 with the window stickers on them (assume customers have not paid for them) sitting outside for the past 4 weeks. Stopped by today and both cars are full of bird crap. If one of those was my car I would send pictures to PNA to let them know the lack of respect the dealer has for these cars and get added compensation.
That's a shame. I've done my own detailing for over 6 years now with high end products, but dealers tend to just spray and wash. I'd have them pay for an actual trusted detailer to take care of the vehicle.

People with cars at port like 0Q991 and should ask the same of Porsche or their dealer as well. The paint will most certainly not be factory fresh by now.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Definitely the same, just different angles. Funny how the mind lets people see what they want to see. Hope you made a good trophy out of it. That's a shame. I've done my own detailing for over 6 years now with high end products, but dealers tend to just spray and wash. I'd have them pay for an actual trusted detailer to take care of the vehicle. People with cars at port like 0Q991 and should ask the same of Porsche or their dealer as well. The paint will most certainly not be factory fresh by now.
MyenShi -- Agreed. That's my plan. But if the compensation is decent, I'll let it go and toss it up as having been included in whatever $ figure there is...with the big assumption that there IS a $ figure. If not, I will most certainly ask for an allowance to have the car taken care of at a detailer I trust.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

MyenShi -- Agreed. That's my plan. But if the compensation is decent, I'll let it go and toss it up as having been included in whatever $ figure there is...with the big assumption that there IS a $ figure. If not, I will most certainly ask for an allowance to have the car taken care of at a detailer I trust.
My plan as well. I'm sure there will be a dollar figure; I could see a lot of people walking otherwise. Even I'd have to think about it.

Was going to have a detailer friend apply Opticoat on my car. He was going to charge me minimum cost, especially as the paint should be fine right out of the factory. The irony.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick
If these pictures were taken recently, for what other reason are they removing the engine other than anticipating an immediate replacement?

Does anyone have any idea as to how many GT3 engines Porsche manufacturers daily? I would guess they could do 20-25 provided they have the parts.
I did a factory tour at Stuttgart in January and thus am familiar with some of their production capacities. Porsche produces cars at Stuttgart (911s), Leipzig (Cayennes and Panameras), and Osnabruck (Caymans and Boxsters). The engines for ALL of these cars are produced by the engine factory in Stuttgart. I'm not positive about the engines for Boxsters and Caymans, but they only account for 16% of Porsche's total output.

Porsche sold 162,145 cars in calendar 2013. Assuming that the engine factory was in operation for 250 days, that's about 650 engines per day. Normally engines of all types are intermingled on the production line, but there is no reason, other than parts supply, that they couldn't produce nothing but GT3 engines for a day or two. So production capacity is not in the least in the critical time path. It's probably parts supply and/or other logistical issues.

Another interesting fact: The time from when an engine block enters the assembly line until the completed and tested engine rolls off of the assembly line is only 4 hours! Given this, it's easy to agree that producing a new engine is going to be a lot faster than disassembling and reassembling one to replace an internal part. More expensive yes, but a lot faster!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I did a factory tour at Stuttgart in January and thus am familiar with some of their production capacities. Porsche produces cars at Stuttgart (911s), Leipzig (Cayennes and Panameras), and Osnabruck (Caymans and Boxsters). The engines for ALL of these cars are produced by the engine factory in Stuttgart. I'm not positive about the engines for Boxsters and Caymans, but they only account for 16% of Porsche's total output.

Porsche sold 162,145 cars in calendar 2013. Assuming that the engine factory was in operation for 250 days, that's about 650 engines per day. Normally engines of all types are intermingled on the production line, but there is no reason, other than parts supply, that they couldn't produce nothing but GT3 engines for a day or two. So production capacity is not in the least in the critical time path. It's probably parts supply and/or other logistical issues.

Another interesting fact: The time from when an engine block enters the assembly line until the completed and tested engine rolls off of the assembly line is only 4 hours! Given this, it's easy to agree that producing a new engine is going to be a lot faster than disassembling and reassembling one to replace an internal part. More expensive yes, but a lot faster!
Great post! :thumb up:

Very informative. The parts availability will be the critical piece.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick
Great post! :thumb up:

Very informative. The parts availability will be the critical piece.
Thanks Nick. I just thought of another interesting factoid that could be of interest to everyone concerned about installing a new engine in a car.

Cars being assembled move along the assembly line at a steady pace. Along the way there are work stations manned by a robot or a person, and specific tasks are performed at each station. The steady pace of the assembly line is such that each station has 3 minutes to complete its assigned tasks.

One exception to this time block is the infamous "marriage" station, where the drivetrain is installed into the chassis. This "marriage" is performed by two workers who following the moving car across two stations.

Thus the "marriage" is completed from start to finish in 6 minutes, requiring a total of 12 man-minutes! Admittedly they have all of the right heavy lifting equipment, but this suggests that mounting a completed engine assembly into a car is not god-awful complicated.

Quick Reply: You guys have to see this.