Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Performance- Coincedence?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Exactly, that's why I'd go to hand pick my loaner of course.
I always prefer the Camry over the Altima, if I want to kick some service advisors shins, I have talked the manager to have one of the service reps give up his Passat....
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
It didn't escape me at all. As culpability and liability would be ambiguous on who would be responsible if he continued to drive his GT3 and something happened, maybe he decided to roll the dice. He could argue he didn't have constructive knowledge of the stop sale and hence his insurance company would ultimately be successful in subrogating against Porsche NA in the unlikely event something happened to his car. However, if he did have constructive knowledge and chose to continue to drive it, then it would likely becomes a problem for him and his insurance. Proving it is a whole other issue though.

I was just saying the guy wanted to drive his car obviously and dismissed the recall and everyone freaked out. There's a reason he wanted to drive the car as he bought the car under the impression he would be able to drive it. It's a very pretty car, but not too many people buy the car just to look at it. They also want to drive it. Finally, I'm not saying his decision was smart, rather I agree it was pretty ill-advised. However, I understand why he did want to drive it and that was my point.
Of course the OP is rolling the dice. That's the point. I want to drive my car too, but as an adult am able to use common sense and restraint. Regardless of how much the car cost and what my expectations were when it was purchased, there is now a problem that has yet to be identified so why borrow trouble by driving the car when the manufacturer says not to?

Nobody freaked out. The OP asked for advice, and we gave it.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Of course the OP is rolling the dice. That's the point. I want to drive my car too, but as an adult am able to use common sense and restraint. Regardless of how much the car cost and what my expectations were when it was purchased, there is now a problem that has yet to be identified so why borrow trouble by driving the car when the manufacturer says not to?

Nobody freaked out. The OP asked for advice, and we gave it.
Okay, freaked out was too strong of a word. That said, everyone has different risk tolerances and this guy is clearly a risk taker. He probably trades options too.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Exactly, that's why I'd go to hand pick my loaner of course.
I always prefer the Camry over the Altima, if I want to kick some service advisors shins, I have talked the manager to have one of the service reps give up his Passat....
I was thinking they might give you something from used inventory like a 997 Carrera or Turbo...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys crack me up. Its not like its the end of the world. I'll start bi&^ing when my car gets held up @ PDI
Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
So I wake up this morning and as I am headed to work I get the warning light "Reduced Engine Performance- Possible to Drive"
Funny, you must drive real hard on your morning commute, I thought that message was mainly seen by track drivers so far.

As far as driving your car, the risk of fire is probably very low. So if you are a risk taker, it's your call.

I had a fuel line recall on my 991 c2s which had a small risk of a fire involved, though no vehicles as far as I know actually caught fire. I thought of the recall as an inconvenience and continued to drive my car daily for two months after the recall was issued. I finally took it in after dealer called me saying, I am the only one left. The recall may have been more low priority than current one as we were not advised to stop driving the car.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I was thinking they might give you something from used inventory like a 997 Carrera or Turbo...
No, even with appointment I only got ****boxes.
I think I once got a Panamera once in 2009 or maybe 10..
Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

No, even with appointment I only got ****boxes.
I think I once got a Panamera once in 2009 or maybe 10..
You need to cozy up to your service guy a little more. You would be amazed as to the benefits you derive from a close relationship.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I cozied up plenty, but than I cozied up more with the boss to get stuff good willed after going to the track and I lost loaners all together.

At least I got everything I ever broke replaced for free.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

I cozied up plenty, but than I cozied up more with the boss to get stuff good willed after going to the track and I lost loaners all together.

At least I got everything I ever broke replaced for free.
Interesting, the two P-car dealers in DFW only have Porsche loaners. I have several friends with P-cars and anytime they take their car in for anything, they automatically leave with a Porsche loaner. Normally, it's a Boxster, Cayman, or Cayenne, with an occasional Panamera thrown in. I've always thought that was pretty cool. While your car is in for service, you get to flog a Porsche loaner.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
You guys crack me up. Its not like its the end of the world. I'll start bi&^ing when my car gets held up @ PDI
Ya, thats where I'm at...so I reserve the right to be a badger. Its also paid for...
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You need to cozy up to your service guy a little more. You would be amazed as to the benefits you derive from a close relationship.
This...holy crap.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I recently (before the recall) got a reduced engine performance light on when I started the car on the way to the track. I turned the car off then back on again, and it was gone. Went to track that day and it never missed a beat. Took it to dealer to read the error and it was an engine misfire, that he thought happened from water condensation somewhere.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the insight guys I think the common consensus was not to drive it, which I still did. Guess I'm not as adult as some of the guys on here, but hell I drove the car over the weekend so I could see if I could diagnose the problem myself (Pretty sure its the cams) and I'm still alive and so is my car.

I am dropping it off at the dealer as soon as they can find me a Porsche loaner since they don't want to put me in a Hertz rental car and I'm gonna close the books on this one until Porsche figures out what's going on.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would garage it...

But not because I'm worried about whether Porsche is going to compensate me or not if something were to happen (I would expect them to since it's their design flaw or issue).

I would garage it because if something were to happen, I wouldn't want to wait however long for them to replace the car or the engine.

Then again, I'm still sitting on the wait list and so the waiting is the top of mind thing for me

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Performance- Coincedence?