Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearplex windshield protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 06:31 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had my Clearplex on for over a year now and it's taken hits that would have left marks on my windshield. Angeles Crest runs behind others with sand spray would have left marks but for the complete wrap of my GT3.

My Clearplex was installed by a pro who does nothing but wraps and, who did several installations on other GT3 owners, I believe three or four, before he got to mine and was then able to say mine was the first he thought was installed correctly and, that he didn't have to re-do.

It's very, very hard to install this properly but, when done right, it gives great peace of mind. I hope it lasts 10 years before I have to re-do.

Dan (tosses out a data point)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:48 PM
AZ996TT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good info, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I too have mixed feelings about the product. I thought I had done my due diligence re my chosen ClearPlex installer, but apparently not. Not only did the installer damage the plastic cowl trim on my new RS (fortunately, only a $63 part), but the quality of the installation isn't great. There are a couple of streak marks, as well as some bubbles (looks like orange peel). I was told the bubbles would disappear over time, but they haven't. The overall clarity is pretty good, but even putting aside the streaks and bubbles, it definitely isn't as clear with just the glass. I do notice the film it every time I take the RS out for a drive and think "is this worth it?" The film does pit and then tear fairly easily when hit even with a small stone. I think the net result is much worse than what would happen to the glass without the film (i.e., likely merely a small chip in the glass). So, as noted by SanDiegoDavid it definitely adds up to a mess, optically, once you have a few. Also, solely from a cost perspective I am not sure if it is worth it either. Installed, the ClearPlex price range (at least here in NorCal) is somewhere between $350 and $600 or so. And I think the windshield replacement cost is around $900 for the glass alone, so perhaps $1,200 installed. I too am worried about proper installation of replacement glass, and this is what ultimately prompted me to give ClearPlex a try. But, if I had to do it all over again, I am not sure if I would go with the protection here. Perhaps it is better just to make sure you can find a really good shop that can properly install a replacement windshield. Just my $0.2 and your results may vary.
Really good info. The other thing is, if you do get a chip it can usually be fixed. In Colorado they come to the house, fix the chip (good but not invisible), and the insurance pays. No deductible.

I hate to say it but I consider the paint and windshield just items that will eventually need replacing. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this car is all its glory.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:49 AM
zuffen911J
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 Carrera. Just ordered my Clearplex kit from Ken at Clearplex. Pre-cut and pre-heated (the heat reportedly shrinks the final product) to fit the windshield perfectly. My Expel installer will be giving me a hand with the install. Seems straight forward from the videos on You Tube with Larry. Install date around mid May. This car will be a daily driver in warm weather. I will post how the install goes.

Last edited by zuffen911J; 04-30-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Looking at different windshield options including just replacing it instead of putting any kind of protection on it. Anyone know the current market price for replacing the windshield with OEM glass on 991 911 GT3 RS? If it is under a grand I think that is better than just putting any film on it especially when the cost is 600 to 1000 bucks for the film.

That said I have no clue what all new windshield installed will cost for this car so hoping somebody does
Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 PM
uvRS
Track Day

Originally Posted by marcvv
Looking at different windshield options including just replacing it instead of putting any kind of protection on it. Anyone know the current market price for replacing the windshield with OEM glass on 991 911 GT3 RS? If it is under a grand I think that is better than just putting any film on it especially when the cost is 600 to 1000 bucks for the film.

That said I have no clue what all new windshield installed will cost for this car so hoping somebody does
I don't think it's the cost of the windshield that is the issue. It's that the windshield is never the same after replacement (ie, seals, integrity etc).
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by uvRS
I don't think it's the cost of the windshield that is the issue. It's that the windshield is never the same after replacement (ie, seals, integrity etc).
I had my windshield replaced after one year over the winter due to large crack, no issues at all with the replacement windscreen - its OEM, fits perfectly, can't tell its been replaced. the cost was around $1200 i think. sadly after two track events this year, chips already accumulating, although that includes 30mins running on the Pocono tri oval where the speeds get up there.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Originally Posted by uvRS
If the installer is good and is using OEM glass I don't see how the integrity/seals should be an issue. If you watch how the cars are made a suction-assist carriage helps workers lower it onto the frame with the glue. No reason that can't be replicated at a dealer or high-end glass repair shop I think.

At $1200 to replace the windshield I think that is probably the easiest route. On a 250k car that cost is minimal, relatively speaking, even if you put a new one in every one or two years.

The headlights at 9k to replace are another story. I am putting XPEL film on those despite the concerns about the UV coating.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,872 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Replacement is the way to go.

Clearplex (and all other similar products) either blur visibility, or the scuff marks from rocks etc. leave grooves that allow dirt to gather. So after a while (depending on how often you drive and where) you'll want to replace the Clearplex.

So in the long run, better just to replace the windshield once every X months versus replacing the Clearplex multiple times every X months.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Replacement is the way to go.

Clearplex (and all other similar products) either blur visibility, or the scuff marks from rocks etc. leave grooves that allow dirt to gather. So after a while (depending on how often you drive and where) you'll want to replace the Clearplex.

So in the long run, better just to replace the windshield once every X months versus replacing the Clearplex multiple times every X months.
I went the clearplex route after my first windshield got peppered from first Smokies trip. Insurance paid for it but I didn't want to keep getting new windshields every year. I change my clearplex 2 times in a year. But with that all said the clearplex looks bad quick and worse then a windshield in the same amount of time so it might be best to just swap windshields.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
and i already have one chip, but it was the same day i almost wrecked so i didnt care much lol
That was an eventful day buddy!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by meaker
I went the clearplex route after my first windshield got peppered from first Smokies trip. Insurance paid for it but I didn't want to keep getting new windshields every year. I change my clearplex 2 times in a year. But with that all said the clearplex looks bad quick and worse then a windshield in the same amount of time so it might be best to just swap windshields.
That's my feeling too, Chris.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
that was my fear, along with the issue of finding an installer who would get it just right on initial install. replacing the windshield is a far simpler task it seems.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone here ever tried any of the various tear off windshield protectors? I saw it used a while ago while watching a Nascar race (not a Nascar fan!)

Here is one link......
Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
that was my fear, along with the issue of finding an installer who would get it just right on initial install. replacing the windshield is a far simpler task it seems.
When I had mine changed I called my local Porsche dealership and asked who they used. Then called that company and told them I wanted him to do my install. He came out to my house, quickly realized that they gave him the wrong windshield. Before taking out the old one. So came back e next day and did a awesome job.

Quick Reply: Clearplex windshield protector