Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 RS might be available with a manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble boys - Preuninger went on the record a long time ago stating that there is no chance in hell the RS will have a manual.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...s-RS-for-2014/
Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Though he did say that we get a manual GT cayman
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

This also just in from our sources......pigs *might* fly.....
Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
Sorry to burst your bubble boys - Preuninger went on the record a long time ago stating that there is no chance in hell the RS will have a manual.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...s-RS-for-2014/
I also went on record to say PDK is for grand ma's and did a bunch of 180's so why not one more?

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Though he did say that we get a manual GT cayman
I already checked, I fit in the new Cayman.
With proper seats and harness, GT3 calipers and around 450HP it would be a 100k killer track day car with a manual.

BGB in Ormond beach is already building them in cooperation with Suncoast

http://www.teambgb.com/for_build.aspPorsche. He will build you one for about $90k
Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

To my great sadness (as I was really looking forward to a manual 991GT3) Porsche does not strike me as the kind of car company to go back on a decision like this (pdk only). My dealer tells me there is barely enough GT3s to get around so I am not sure how or why they would even begin to ponder a MT at this point in time. Making the faster and more expensive car with the optional MT makes no sense.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

RS is a special edition GT3, right?

"But I have a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 with a manual gearbox, and I am also a fan of the manual gearbox. So maybe if we release a special edition of the new GT3, we might fit a manual gearbox."
-- Matthias Müller, Porsche AG CEO. Rennteam post.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Preuninger can say all he wants about GT car development being all about the performance, but everyone here knows that the bean counters usually have the final say.
If Porsche thinks there is a viable market for manual RS's then they will exist.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
RS is a special edition GT3, right?

"But I have a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 with a manual gearbox, and I am also a fan of the manual gearbox. So maybe if we release a special edition of the new GT3, we might fit a manual gearbox."
-- Matthias Müller, Porsche AG CEO. Rennteam post.
RS are special so i wonder if theres a chance a limited run of say 2000 units at say $220k would be worthwhile for Porsche.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Preuninger can say all he wants about GT car development being all about the performance, but everyone here knows that the bean counters usually have the final say.
If Porsche thinks there is a viable market for manual RS's then they will exist.
i dont think it's about viable mkt, it's more about moving forward as at SOME point, manual will all go away.

even if they charged $400,000 for a manual RS, to make it "special" they have to limit production. at 1000 units for $400k a copy, sure, margin is huge per unit, but in the grand scheme of PAG/VWAG's P&L, it's just a tiny blip. if i were a bean counter, i would vote no without any calculation. of course, that's not where my heart is, but i dont have controlling shares of PAG.

we are the minority.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Offering a manual at this point would only prolong the "transition." They've already bitten the bullet. Why go back for a second round?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont think it's about viable mkt, it's more about moving forward as at SOME point, manual will all go away.

even if they charged $400,000 for a manual RS, to make it "special" they have to limit production. at 1000 units for $400k a copy, sure, margin is huge per unit, but in the grand scheme of PAG/VWAG's P&L, it's just a tiny blip. if i were a bean counter, i would vote no without any calculation. of course, that's not where my heart is, but i dont have controlling shares of PAG.

we are the minority.
I see you are back on your meds.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

Whether they'll go back to offer a manual or not is not that important to me anymore. Sure,I'd love it,but unfortunately they've been pissing off a lot of people lately. If latest reliability concerns prove to be founded or not,the rumor mill can't be stopped from spinning,especially in the Internet day and age and a lot of damage has been done.
Some people,myself included,might not look at Porsche with the same eyes they used to look before. Heck,if I look at some of my early posts,I could really get a good laugh,I was completely submerged and blinded by the " best engineered sports car ". I could " take my sword " out and fight for my beliefs. Well...times have changed...the competition is fiercer than ever...and Porsche needs to really step up like never before to reclaim the " throne ".
Whether a manual transmission will help them or not,I don't know...but I doubt it...the young generation,including baby boomers want the latest and greatest technology,whether it's a laser toaster or a fast car.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just curious what mods they would need to make to the car to compensate for the speed of the shifts with the PDK. After all, you certainly cannot have the dedicated RS track version actually slower at the track given the same drivers and conditions.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The RS will be low production unlike the GT3 and since it is low production they don't need to have the RS market opened up to bring in high sales that the automatic trans sales bring in. Since it will sell out regardless.

I'd personally like to see a special version of the GT3. No CL, RWS and 6 speed manual. Priced to what a 997 GT3 went for, which means lower then what the current automatic sells at.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Whether they'll go back to offer a manual or not is not that important to me anymore. Sure,I'd love it,but unfortunately they've been pissing off a lot of people lately. If latest reliability concerns prove to be founded or not,the rumor mill can't be stopped from spinning,especially in the Internet day and age and a lot of damage has been done.
Some people,myself included,might not look at Porsche with the same eyes they used to look before. Heck,if I look at some of my early posts,I could really get a good laugh,I was completely submerged and blinded by the " best engineered sports car ". I could " take my sword " out and fight for my beliefs. Well...times have changed...the competition is fiercer than ever...and Porsche needs to really step up like never before to reclaim the " throne ".
Whether a manual transmission will help them or not,I don't know...but I doubt it...the young generation,including baby boomers want the latest and greatest technology,whether it's a laser toaster or a fast car.

Where have you been while the Mezger cars were throwing rods, losing cam bolts, self-destructing their clutches, eating away bronze LSD clutch packs, losing rear alignment at the eccentric, swallowing nuts in the intake, and spewing coolant all over?!

They weren't perfect, but still one of the most rewarding cars on the market.

Every car has it's set of problems.

Quick Reply: 991 RS might be available with a manual