Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have ordered a new GT3.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 AM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably track my GT3 every other month. I've tracked my 991 C2S a couple of times.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aim is to track it at least 3 to 4 times a month. Having amazing tracks close by is a big plus in the UAE
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Planning to use the GT3 on the street for a couple of years. Keeping my Cayman R for track. I want to see what rollbar/ seat options develop for the 3. As well as other things the early adopters come up with (conversion to 5 lugs? RWS/PDK issues?, etc) Then make the mods and try it on the track. At my home track (TWS) expect the 3 to be capable of 150++ on the long straight. Can't see doing that with sport seats and 3 points. But that's just me.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
mtuttle
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I feel like I've answered this before but for me it's a car for cruising up and down the strip and revving the engine. The RWS and the paddle neutral are made specifically for short turning circle for doubling back at the end of the strip and for revving at stop lights. Gonna put some jammin' stickers on it with words like "wicked" and "I rock" in German, and dice in the mirror.

Peace
Too funny!! I vehemently disagree with the comment (not you CAlexio) that it is a pointless purchase unless you track it. I love this car!! and I'm not sure I will track it.

Had turbo s (2) in the past but I like this better IMHO.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by zedcat
At my home track (TWS) expect the 3 to be capable of 150++ on the long straight. Can't see doing that with sport seats and 3 points. But that's just me.
+10000.

When I first put my 997 GT3 on track there, after mostly tracking an E36 M3, the end of the front straight came with a lot more velocity, risk and potential drama. Sold it and built a dedicated track car.

Now here I am again. WTF.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Ok, I realize my joking may be excessive, so I'll give my honest answer. I don't have a good reason to buy this car except pure vanity and coolness. I do think that at least for me, it's WAAAY too much car for the track (miata would be better) and honestly, without a full roll cage with a car this fast, I'd probably be safer continuing to ride my Ducati 749r and my Hypermotard for track days. I expect to do 1-2 track days with an instructor, drive it in the local mountains and take some really cool road trips up and down California.. Maybe bring this bitch to burning man in the desert next year and have people pray to it. Outside of this and my planned European delivery adventure with my dad, this car is utterly pointless and overkill for me. I AM that new owner that most of the old school Porsche guys despise, but I'm honest ab it. I've never bought a new car and I want to own this baby for a year, enjoy it, and then donate it to some man who deserves it more (and by donate I mean speculatively sell for 2x it's price). There, that's as serious as I can get on an Internet forum... Now I'm headed off to Home Depot for some plastidip
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Ok, I realize my joking may be excessive, so I'll give my honest answer. I don't have a good reason to buy this car except pure vanity and coolness. I do think that at least for me, it's WAAAY too much car for the track (miata would be better) and honestly, without a full roll cage with a car this fast, I'd probably be safer continuing to ride my Ducati 749r and my Hypermotard for track days. I expect to do 1-2 track days with an instructor, drive it in the local mountains and take some really cool road trips up and down California.. Maybe bring this bitch to burning man in the desert next year and have people pray to it. Outside of this and my planned European delivery adventure with my dad, this car is utterly pointless and overkill for me. I AM that new owner that most of the old school Porsche guys despise, but I'm honest ab it. I've never bought a new car and I want to own this baby for a year, enjoy it, and then donate it to some man who deserves it more (and by donate I mean speculatively sell for 2x it's price). There, that's as serious as I can get on an Internet forum... Now I'm headed off to Home Depot for some plastidip
agreed except for the burning man part. and the plastidip part. oh and i've had a buncha porsches, some new. but yeah, the rest.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 208 Posts

whats wrong with being cool ?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

15-20 track days per year, Time Attacks, DD + winter. Planning to get my money’s worth
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Ok, I realize my joking may be excessive, so I'll give my honest answer. I don't have a good reason to buy this car except pure vanity and coolness. I do think that at le...... Now I'm headed off to Home Depot for some plastidip
THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. I'll be at the Autobhan doing the BMW on the North Track and the GT3 on the South Track. Chilling under the POP UP between sessions fueling my Narcissism surrounded by all this junk. -- This facility is a blast when you have a car/bike weekend. Grand central station of diversity w/ hooligan rice rockets on one side and Ferraris on the other, and the crash truck busy all day. A feast for the senses.. HaHa.

Last edited by LateBrake911; 01-16-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

That almost describes me 7-8 years ago when I got my first new performance car, except I also wanted it for appreciation of mechanical advancement. Then I went to the BMW performance driving school and got hooked. Interests change. Maybe when I start with wheel to wheel racing, GT3 will lose its purpose, and I will change it for an S-class or Lambo or something antique...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

-Tracking my K1200S touring bike.. Fun
-Racing a BMW 1000rr, -- Awesome.
-Being Single in LA with a new GT3 ... Priceless.

-- Narcissism gone wild.. Last time I felt this good besides road racing was when I got my first nice car.. 2000 M5 STICK (for the purest)..
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
yes, some track - when i dont feel like trailering racecar
^this^ primarily a street car but will end up on tracks sooner or later...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Street car, autocross, an occasional track day..... probably no more than once or twice a year. Hate to admit it, but full days at the track and everything that goes with it are no longer on the program at this point. Given this usage I may be able to get by without going to another race seat/harness setup; we'll see. Bottom line, I just wanted this car. Unless it disappoints in a major way I'll keep it for a long time. My next Porsche purchase will likely be a nice 356; not particularly interested in a hybrid sports car....
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Planning to use the GT3 on the street for a couple of years. Keeping my Cayman R for track. I want to see what rollbar/ seat options develop for the 3. As well as other things the early adopters come up with (conversion to 5 lugs? RWS/PDK issues?, etc) Then make the mods and try it on the track. At my home track (TWS) expect the 3 to be capable of 150++ on the long straight. Can't see doing that with sport seats and 3 points. But that's just me.
I'm sure you know this, but just for those who are new to tracking - you do not have to go through every corner on the edge. I tracked with stock seats and 3 point a lot, and never had incidents where I'd be in real danger. It was mostly because when I just started out, I was lucky to have a really good instructor explain this to me very well. Drive a few laps, evaluate run offs, visibility and typical speed in corners and think what's going to happen if you lose it or someone spins in front of you. Then it becomes clear which corners you can drive 10/10, and which should be done at 7/10 or anything in between. It does not have to be all at 10/10 or all at 7/10. If blasting 150+ is not safe given conditions and/or your skill level, lift early - no one is going to blame you for being safe.

Quick Reply: For those who have ordered a new GT3.