HomeBuilt 991 GT3 with manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Hovsepian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HomeBuilt 991 GT3 with manual?

Hypothetically speaking,

considering Porsche is not offering the GT3 to us with a manual (for now hopefully), is it not possible to retrofit the manual transmission with all necessary components from the Carrera? I would think so, being the cars use the same block...

Just picturing a close ratio 7speed tranny with LSD built at Guards...would be amazing, just not sure of the details or costs it entails...

Just brainstorming here btw...LOL
Dan
Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a cost prohibitive project, but I seem to recall someone doing that with a Scud or Stradale.

I would think electronics would be the biggest issue since the alphabet soup of electronic controls from PTV, PSM, PASM, TC, ESC etc etc are so highly integrated into the transmission and the diff.

Might be easier to start with a Carrera and put a GT3 motor in there and gut the suspension for Motons or Ohlins.

Or wait for RUF. That's probably the best bet, since it will have decent resale v. whatever frankencar a shadetree mechanic builds.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Hovsepian
Hypothetically speaking,

considering Porsche is not offering the GT3 to us with a manual (for now hopefully), is it not possible to retrofit the manual transmission with all necessary components from the Carrera? I would think so, being the cars use the same block...

Just picturing a close ratio 7speed tranny with LSD built at Guards...would be amazing, just not sure of the details or costs it entails...

Just brainstorming here btw...LOL
Dan
While shopping at Guard, you would also want to purchase 7 new custom gear ratios for the forward drive. The ratios chosen in the Carrera are far too widely spaced and tall (even for the Carrera with performance in mind, but especially for the GT3 and its 9k redline). I would estimate the cost to do this would be in the area of $20k or more plus LSD).

You'd also want to add a gearbox oil cooler to the 7M in the Carrera and might need to otherwise strengthen the box for the additional 100hp and track use.

Then there would be the cost to integrate the new gearbox into the car (and all the electronic systems and the loss of the active electronic LSD).
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a 997
Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

I have been begging to be asked to do something like this. It depends on whether or not you will ever feel like you have GT3 power if you start with a 9A1 991 spec Power Kit version motor and use bolt-ons to try and make up the 45hp difference. I think that with an ECU flash, headers, pulleys and high flow filters you could get awful close and still be at $10K max with parts and labor. The single biggest thing that you would not be able to overcome is that you don't have the wider rear quarter panels. You could easily get the suspension there by bolting whatever parts to it. If you started with a base 991 S, you would be at $100K for the donor car new.

For over a year I have hoped that there would be a niche of 991 owners driving 7-speed manual cars because they can't have one in GT3 form. The single biggest problem is that any GT3 purist will ridicule our not using the blessed architecture. I have no idea if it's possible but you could do some homework as to whether or not you could bolt a 996 Cup transmission if it had the same bell housing pattern but then you're hacking up a work of art in the GT3.

I would think that it would be better to bolt stuff to a 991 S than it would be to hack up the GT3.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It can be done - all you need is this:
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I would think that it would be better to bolt stuff to a 991 S than it would be to hack up the GT3.
I agree, but I also think that Porsche will not pass up the opportunity (profit) to make a limited edition manual version at some point (for more $) - too easy and profitable for them to not alienate all the potential buyers.

Then again, I never would've guessed that Ferrari wouldn't make a manual gearbox again (they've gone without longer than I imagined).

BTW, if the rumors that the RS will have a true sequential with a clutch pedal (only needed to get underway or for more gentle downshifts) does come to fruition, would this satisfy those of you who want an H-pattern manual 3-pedal car? I'm not sure it would do it for me, but sounds interesting enough to try it!

Last edited by GrantG; 12-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
BTW, if the rumors that the RS will have a true sequential with a clutch pedal (only needed to get underway or for more gentle downshifts) does come to fruition, would this satisfy those of you who want an H-pattern manual 3-pedal car? I'm not sure it would do it for me, but sounds interesting enough to try it!
That would be FANTASTIC! That's a real racing transmission.

Of course, you might find that you really don't care as much for it on the street as you might think, but for track days and/or racing within rulesets that don't allow automatics, it would be just what the Dr ordered.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

If RS has sequential, I am so in
Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
If RS has sequential, I am so in
I realize my opinion is no more valid or credible than anyone else's... No matter how logical it Seems.. But honestly people...

I've seen so much hilarious conjecture on this board, that I wonder how many grown up business men are actually posting vs excitable teenagers. The RS model is a massive cash cow for Porsche.. It's a big up-charge for very little to no extra cost to make (997 wider hips. $0 to produce/single disk rattley pseudo-racing clutch-cheaper to produce etc etc) No they won't place a slower manual for it, no there won't be a magical new sequential designed for it , no it won't magically have all the qualities which "purists" lament of the 997 gt3, yes it will have RWS whether it's legal in racing or not. Why? Because The RS is a total poser car.. If you can spend that money for that car, you go for a hardcore used or new cup car which is lighter and less compromised. It's not a race car.. It's a Starbucks car.. Even more than the regular gt3 is, which at least is relatively understated.

Anyway, Johnny Walker and I are going to go have another discussion about this. In the meantime.. Can everyone just grow up.

Ps: I heard the RS will be offered with the optional 918 magnesium wheels and a lightweight lithium battery derived from the 918 program... Just sayin'
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I realize my opinion is no more valid or credible than anyone else's... No matter how logical it Seems.. But honestly people...

I've seen so much hilarious conjecture on this board, that I wonder how many grown up business men are actually posting vs excitable teenagers.
I'm 48, if that is directed at me (but have the maturity level of a teenager when it comes to cars). I have heard some veiled information from a reliable source that led me to that speculation. Far from solid fact, but I think it's possible to see something similar to the sequential gearbox that has been used in the Cup since the 997.1 in 2006. It wouldn't be much cost to Porsche and the RS is going to cost much more than GT3 - that much I have on good authority. It makes sense to me - no guarantees, but more than totally groundless speculation...

I have also been warned that the RS is going be very hardcore (read unpleasant) on the street, compared to past versions (agreeing with FullThrottle64 on sequential's street manners, if that is what's been referenced).

As for the RS being a poseur car, I disagree. It is not as serious as a Cup, but not everyone wants to buy and store a trailer and tow vehicle. Even if I could afford to, I don't have the room (or time) for all that. I like to drive right from work to the track for an afternoon session (or vice versa)...
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget about it PDK is it from now on. Get a used .2 GT3 if you like manual. I like both and glad I didn't sell my .2 GT3 and cant wait to drive the PDK. 3 more months of wait is all.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:50 AM
silverrules
Drifting

[QUOTE=GrantG;10991026]I'm 49, if that is directed at me (but have the maturity level of a teenager when it comes to cars).

Sounds like me.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Yes, your posts are certainly the most mature on the board CAlexio
Old 12-20-2013, 02:21 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Calexio needs to give up the bottle LOL. It's Johnny Walker posting.

Quick Reply: HomeBuilt 991 GT3 with manual?