Sponsored by:

2015 Nissan GT-R Nurburgring in 7:08?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/watch-the-nissan...and-1467347856

Not sure if its a repost but that's where I got the news.

I'm blown away but I am interested in the tire telemetry. That 3,800 lb beast has to eat them up quick!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321

I'm blown away but I am interested in the tire telemetry. That 3,800 lb beast has to eat them up quick!
Yep, brakes too. This is the problem with using any heavy/fast car rolling on big tires - very high running cost at the track. Unfortunately, the new GT3 and Turbo suffer from a similar problem - 20" track tires aint cheap...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yep, brakes too. This is the problem with using any heavy/fast car rolling on big tires - very high running cost at the track. Unfortunately, the new GT3 and Turbo suffer from a similar problem - 20" track tires aint cheap...
No problem.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
So it will eat brakes and tires like its nobodies business. Then what's the point? You get a Nissan you can't drive to its limits, even with a billion driver nannies correcting your errors, yet tracking the car and maintaining it will be as expensive as a Porsche or Ferrari and you get none of the value retention or driving experience (reasonable weight, steering feedback, psychotic european attention to details, proper engine music--nobody thinks a Nissan V6 sounds better than a Porsche Mezger motor or Ferrari flat-plane V8, do they?).

Thus, you have to be smoking crack to pay $200k for a ****ing GT-R that nobody has the ***** or skills to drive at its limits, and daily drives like a Maxima. That car will depreciate worse than any Porsche or Fiat ever sold at such a price.

IMO, the Nismo GT-R makes zero sense to buy, but I'm glad it exists. Why? So executives at competing companies start sweating and make better products for us.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321

Amazingly it's supposed to be around 3600lbs, not much more than a TT.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Not sure how i feel about the nismo. On one hand ring time is amazing but flip side is gtr badly needs new 7 speed trans. What was great 6 yrs ago is now obsolete. Also needed to improve the stability control which makes car slower on track. 458 speciale has slip angle control to allow for drifting. Lotus and vette have programable tc that makes car faster. Lastly there is more duct work on body kit but doubt that goes far enough to allow 30 min track session in summer without needing cool down laps every 10 min.

It will be worth it at $150k or less but not sure where it will end up. Now way will it be $200k
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I'd like to see a TTS - GTR ultimate test.
I'm only interested in tire and pad wear after 8 hours of laps within 10 seconds of their claimed records, if they even survive the test at all.

Throw a 997RS and 991GT3 in for a reality check.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Bonkers Fast!

nobody wants a 200k Nissan that looks like the 69k Nissan though...

Give a new 991 Turbo S to Champion. Problem solved.

Porsche will most likey develop a 991GT2, but alas it will be in the $200K+ club….

If you could score a 997GT2 for the right price and tune the **** out of it north of 700hp, you wouldnt care about all the new junk on the market. You would have a 700hp coffin on wheels.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I have new gtr that replaced 997 gt3 and dont get some of the gtr criticisms from the porsche crowd. First, why spend on nismo when it looks like much cheaper base model? Hello, $250k 911 gt2rs looks exactly like $80k base 911!

Other issue i dont get is that computers drive gr, not the driver. Well maybe that was true 5 yrs ago for gtr vs gt3 but no longer. Porsche copied everything from gtr to new 911tt. Dct, torque vectoring, etc. And they went 2 steps further with rear wheel steer and electronic variable steering.

My gtr is just as much fun to track as old gt3. People who say otherwise probably never even drove them
Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

The lap time is impressive, the car is undeniably an engineering achievement, though the extent of driver aids in the car which can't be turned off is a turnoff for me (pun intended).
Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
The lap time is impressive, the car is undeniably an engineering achievement, though the extent of driver aids in the car which can't be turned off is a turnoff for me (pun intended).
Understood and agreed. Problem is, time marches on, games change, the rules change. To me, golf is a good analogy. I don't know if you play (I don't anymore) but if you did play in the wooden driver era you will remember the satisfaction of hitting a perfect shot with a well made persimmon driver - the feel, the sound, the appreciation of the ball flight. It was hard to do, and few players could hit those shots often. Then came the oversized titanium clubs that changed the game. Suddenly, high handicappers could outdrive scratch players. It was easier, but the feel and the sound weren't there although the result was better. Today, everyone uses the new style clubs - compared to the days of yore, the bad players are better and the pros are awesome. The competition remains the same, however, because relative to the other players, no one has gained an advantage.

I suspect that today's automobile traditionalists will hang on for some period of time, but will eventually tire of being lapped by snot nosed kids driving techno-machines. Then again, maybe vintage racing will replace NASCAR...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
Not sure how i feel about the nismo. On one hand ring time is amazing but flip side is gtr badly needs new 7 speed trans.
I doesn't really need a 7th gear with the big flat torque curve (sure, it wouldn't hurt). The 6 gears are all performance gears, 991 Turbo and Turbo S also have only 6 useable performance gears (7th for fuel economy only). GT3 needs 7 performance gears, since it needs to be near its 9k redline for best performance.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:02 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95spiderman

My gtr is just as much fun to track as old gt3. People who say otherwise probably never even drove them
Interesting as there are folks on this forum and 6 speed who went from the gtr to the slower porsche b/c it was more involving. Owners have cited that it is easier to coax faster laps out of it than a GT3 (though the 991 GT3 may change this), but felt is was just less involving on track than the GT3 due to the way the chassis communicates to the driver.

Then on the street. . . I thought last year's MT review of the GTR was funny, in giving the regular carrera s the nod over the GTR for best driver's car they said it has a garbage truck ride, has high NVH, and engine sounds bad.

But brutal performance. So basically you have to forgive its lack of refinement and overwrought looks (fully acknowledging that taste is highly personal) and prioritize outright performance. If you are that kind of person, then its perfect.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by tmg57
Understood and agreed. Problem is, time marches on, games change, the rules change. To me, golf is a good analogy. I don't know if you play (I don't anymore) but if you did play in the wooden driver era you will remember the satisfaction of hitting a perfect shot with a well made persimmon driver - the feel, the sound, the appreciation of the ball flight. It was hard to do, and few players could hit those shots often. Then came the oversized titanium clubs that changed the game. Suddenly, high handicappers could outdrive scratch players. It was easier, but the feel and the sound weren't there although the result was better. Today, everyone uses the new style clubs - compared to the days of yore, the bad players are better and the pros are awesome. The competition remains the same, however, because relative to the other players, no one has gained an advantage.

I suspect that today's automobile traditionalists will hang on for some period of time, but will eventually tire of being lapped by snot nosed kids driving techno-machines. Then again, maybe vintage racing will replace NASCAR...

I don't think that's a great analogy, I would consider newer clubs like moving to a dog box, or mechanical single clutch sequential without the auto blips and such. With a golf swing, YOU still have to swing the club, aim, follow through. In fact, you have to do everything you had to do with the old clubs, they just make the end result better by improving the ability of the user, not taking over for him/her.

PDk would be the equivalent of lining a machine up to do it and hitting a button for it to swing for you. Same strength and swing every time, now it just comes down to aiming the robot. Sounds eerie similar.

I think most traditionalist, as probably now, would relish in the satisfaction of seeing the snot nosed kid actually drive a car that takes some skill to pilot. Some DE organizations are now allowing techno car owner checkrides, but in that car only. If you show up in a car that requires real driving, you have to check ride over again.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM
frayed
Race Car

All semantics wanna.

The robot switches the gears in the new car, but you still have to drive the car. Just like you have to swing the club. There's still a steering wheel, brake pedal and gas pedal that needs to be worked and mastered to go fast.

Those big new drivers make the game accessible for common folk. The old drivers almost impossible to use for many.

Hmmmm. Sounds Eerily similar.

Quick Reply: 2015 Nissan GT-R Nurburgring in 7:08?