Sponsored by:

Car Magazine Supercar Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Eight people voted. The GT3 received five first place votes, two second place votes, and one third place vote. In a comparison contest, that is about as good as it will ever get when eight people vote.

As for your MP4, it is a very good car, but was beaten by the GT3 and the F12. Not a bad place to be...
beaten how? by voting on subjective matters? so you rely on 8 people's personal and subjective opinions to make a 150k decision. thats great considering no tools or devices we used to measure what created those opinions. i am a hardcore porsche guy more than you think, but this article was written just to sell the magazine, completely useless.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by AAHTT
beaten how? by voting on subjective matters? so you rely on 8 people's personal and subjective opinions to make a 150k decision. thats great considering no tools or devices we used to measure what created those opinions.
I'm amused that you think objective measurements are going to give you "real" or better answer. Sure, we all like data, but what would hard numbers give you, other than bragging rights? Are you going to compete with the car?

Numbers are pretty useless for most people. How a car feels (and makes you feel) is far more important, and that's not something that's easily quantified.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Numbers are pretty useless for most people. How a car feels (and makes you feel) is far more important, and that's not something that's easily quantified.
Ding ding ding.

I never lost sleep that I could buy a 35k used z06 and beat every GT3 in nearly every performance category.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Exactly what Pete said. Numbers, especially when vehicles are all highly competent mean nothing to me. I buy a car for how it makes me feel when I'm driving it.. And these guys (British mags in general) do a great job of focusing on how it feels to drive a car rather than the numbers.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAHTT
beaten how? by voting on subjective matters? so you rely on 8 people's personal and subjective opinions to make a 150k decision. thats great considering no tools or devices we used to measure what created those opinions. i am a hardcore porsche guy more than you think, but this article was written just to sell the magazine, completely useless.
It was a great article, composed of eight opinions. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. The MP4-12C is a great car, but it is NOT the only car to buy. People like cars for various attributes, and those attributes are bound to differ from yours. If you do want to talk about OBJECTIVE measurements, see below.

Track 911 GT3 MP4-12C
Nordschleife 7:25.00 7:28.00
Hockenheim Short 1:08.00 1:08.70

Power/weight ratio 329 bhp/tonne 412 bhp/tonne

Relax, enjoy your MP4-12C, and don't worry about bench racing or what others think of your car. What should matter to you is how you feel about your car.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petevb

Bingo!

All these cars as so brutally fast (and that performance unusable in the real world) that tenths don't matter. It's all about the drive.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
It was a great article, composed of eight opinions. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. The MP4-12C is a great car, but it is NOT the only car to buy. People like cars for various attributes, and those attributes are bound to differ from yours. If you do want to talk about OBJECTIVE measurements, see below.

Track 911 GT3 MP4-12C
Nordschleife 7:25.00 7:28.00
Hockenheim Short 1:08.00 1:08.70

Power/weight ratio 329 bhp/tonne 412 bhp/tonne

Relax, enjoy your MP4-12C, and don't worry about bench racing or what others think of your car. What should matter to you is how you feel about your car.

thank you, i will. I understand all the above opinions but for a car like the gt3 which is not a GT car, numbers are kind of important like the ones you listed above, in addition to how the car feels on road and track, its a package. i wish they had done that too, thats all.
btw, the mac numbers listed above were achieved with the old car according to sport auto, not the updated version. the 13 mac is quite a bit faster than the initial generation.
ive posted on other forums that the current gt3 is the best 911 so far and the one to get. I was on the waiting list for the turbo for 2 years with a paid deposit but changed my mind when i saw how underwhelming it looks and without the historical crushing performance of previous turbos, so i went for the mac. The Gt3 would have been a great alternative except the waiting list at my dealer was already too long and the spider was available now.
looking forward to more tests of the gt3....
Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default video clip

A little video clip from the tests...

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice video clip...thanks for posting.

After you watch a video you usually get a more accurate idea of how much time/effort is spent on these tests. I've read the magazine & now watching this.....more then ever solidifies that the new GT3 is another exception 911 from Porsche.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P
Nice video clip...thanks for posting.

After you watch a video you usually get a more accurate idea of how much time/effort is spent on these tests. I've read the magazine & now watching this.....more then ever solidifies that the new GT3 is another exception 911 from Porsche.
Exactly my feeling, Nan. For the GT3 to come away as the clear winner in that group of really exceptional competitors is no small accomplishment, no matter how you slice it. The last quote in the vid, "we all desperately want to own that car", says it all.

Thanks for the link, Peter.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Kain
Advanced

Great clip. Can't wait to see how the GT3 RS turns out.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting, but that was painful reading. As others noted ("AON") just a scatter gun of jibjab to put 11 cars on the cover; after all, a magazine publishing "yet another 911 GT3 is the best 911 ever" review will sell only to diehard Porschephiles needing to hear it as many times as it is said. Again, AON, the 997.2 RS 3.8 would have won this comparo and, give or take the secret voting criteria, would be ahead of the 991.1 GT3.

I guess car wanted to quickly pay service to Jaguar and McLaren, help those home marques with some good press, in turn to help buyers rationalize even the purchase of an Aston if they must. I guess we can't begrudge the mags for taking care of business.

I wonder what's going on at CAR -- such a head count of journo's -- not an original thought in all those pages and side comments, with the main article written by some ESL flunk. Such flowery blather; I gave up re-reading paragraphs trying to figure out what the simile was meant to convey. Dancing on hot coals? Two drunks? Wrong barcode? These are clear images but also clearly inapt. The writer is no more amusing than the berk in one of the GT3 photos shown driving across the wrong side of the road in ham-fisted oversteer at the same time as mentioning those roads were trafficked by families with kids ogling out the windows.)

* ESL: English as a Second Language.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

English mags definitely have a more storytelling flavor or format.. It's all about conveying the feeling they're experiencing. I think EVO started it a decade ago (their tag line is "the thrill of driving". it was such a novel idea that it catapulted this little magazine to cult status and now #1 most read car mag in the world. It took a long long time for the USA magazines to catch on... Articles from road and track and he other copycats were basically industry brochure parroting with a bunch of statistics thrown in. I think now it's going a bit far though.. it's all about wild metaphors and hyperbole descriptors. I especially don't like when you have a group test and it seems like only one guy writes the article.. Totally takes away from the variety of opinions.. Are the other guys just drivers who can't pen a few words? Good to see the gt3 do so well in te desirability category though.. When jaded journalists who get to test the best there is, list this car as the one they lust for.. You gotta believe its going to be EPIC (gratuitous overused word added for effect there).
Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

"We all desperately want to own that car"

Pretty much the only thing you needed to hear. In the end, it boils down to desirability. Whether the new metal gets under your skin.

Quick Reply: Car Magazine Supercar Shootout