Sponsored by:

Not bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I have a naturally aspirated M3 (e90), and it limps! Any time it's over 65F outside, I have to cut sessions short or do multiple cool-down laps in the middle or deal with reduced redline. And I thoroughly wash the radiators 2-3 times a season and use some other tricks to improve cooling. On my last trip to Watkins Glen, when I looked at datalogs I saw that the engine power (acceleration) started to go down even before the tires reached maximum grip (cornering Gs) - this is frustrating... It was in mid 90s, though. Anyway, based on other turboed BMWs, I do not expect turbo engine to be better than the outgoing NA one in terms of heat management, and that one was already stretching it. I am sure the car will be great for DD and spirited driving, but for track work I would not make this bet.

I am also anxious about how GT3 will make it up my crazy driveway here in Berkeley Hills. If it does not, I'll have a very interesting conversation with the owner of the house I rent, but I am optimistic about my negotiating skills.
On a tight course, especially with DCT and sustained high RPM & High acceleration, it's pretty brutal (much worse than the E46, but it still had cooling issues). One trick that will help extend the time is turning on the heater core....sucks, but it helps.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
I don't see an M3/M4 going for $90K, unless you tick every box BMW will offer.

My very well optioned launch E92 was less than $68k. That would be a 132% increase.
Yes, I know, I optioned a 2008 E92 manual and it priced as you state. That was a launch car. A 2013 even w/o Comp pack has to be all of low-mid $70s; sans DCT. New model has to add 6-10%, so a DCT equipped model is easily going to be mid $80s to $90k. BMW is known for adding ala carte everything. That said a nicely optioned 991 3 with Full Leather ($3500) is less than $138k.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a work colleague who has tuned, and tracks his 1M here in Houston. We went to lunch the week before last and I asked him specifically if had ever had issues with limp mode.

He said that he hadn't had any problems at all, all summer long, and no, no cooling mods.

I never had any problems with my E92, either.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
I have a work colleague who has tuned, and tracks his 1M here in Houston. We went to lunch the week before last and I asked him specifically if had ever had issues with limp mode.

He said that he hadn't had any problems at all, all summer long, and no, no cooling mods.

I never had any problems with my E92, either.
Drive faster
Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

looks like extreme version of the m4 in the works

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rations-report

....According to the source, the hardcore M4 will be substantially lighter than the regular M4, come with a manual transmission only and have more power on tap. However, it won’t be as extreme as the E46 series M3 CSL, which weighed around 220 pounds less than the stock M3 it was based on, since many of the original CSL’s qualities have already been adopted for the latest M cars.

“For what we are planning, look more to the M3 GTS than the CSL,” the source said. “We have concepts for a special model and this [the M4] will be the homologation basis.”

Expect a cabin stripped of most luxury amenities, only a pair of racing bucket seats, possibly a roll cage, and carbon fiber and Alcantara trim. Carbon fiber reinforced plastic, similar to that used for the construction of the i3 and i8 electric cars, will likely be used for more body panels on the special M4. On the regular M4, carbon fiber is only expected to be used on the hood and trunk lid.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
....According to the source, the hardcore M4 will be substantially lighter than the regular M4, come with a manual transmission ONLY...

They must be out of their minds!!! It will be SLOWER!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

A sales manager friend of mine confirmed the same thing - said it was focused on the GT3.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

But just like its predecessors, it won't come to the US likely.....
Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lightened version has my attention. But will it prove a frustrating track car like its predecessors?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
looks like extreme version of the m4 in the works

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rations-report

....According to the source, the hardcore M4 will be substantially lighter than the regular M4, come with a manual transmission only and have more power on tap. However, it won’t be as extreme as the E46 series M3 CSL, which weighed around 220 pounds less than the stock M3 it was based on, since many of the original CSL’s qualities have already been adopted for the latest M cars.

“For what we are planning, look more to the M3 GTS than the CSL,” the source said. “We have concepts for a special model and this [the M4] will be the homologation basis.”

Expect a cabin stripped of most luxury amenities, only a pair of racing bucket seats, possibly a roll cage, and carbon fiber and Alcantara trim. Carbon fiber reinforced plastic, similar to that used for the construction of the i3 and i8 electric cars, will likely be used for more body panels on the special M4. On the regular M4, carbon fiber is only expected to be used on the hood and trunk lid.
Wording in article - manual-only, homologation basis, low volume - suggests they could be targeting the new 2016 combined FIA GT3/ACO GTE (and if they're smart Tudor USCC) regulations. BMW continues to use the sequential manual in these series, as well as in DTM, so it's no suprise that they'd pick the manual for the homologation version.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wording in article - manual-only, homologation basis, low volume - suggests they could be targeting the new 2016 combined FIA GT3/ACO GTE (and if they're smart Tudor USCC) regulations. BMW continues to use the sequential manual in these series, as well as in DTM, so it's no suprise that they'd pick the manual for the homologation version.
I'm interested to see what they do with engine regulations if that is the case - I can't see them racing the I6TT.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

BMW has a long history of not selling what they race. E46 M3 with a V8, E92 with a mid front engine where the drivers sat on what was the back seat, the current Z4 mess with a V8. In full disclosure I've onwed both the E46 M3 and the E92....
Old 10-04-2013, 02:17 PM
mgent
Instructor

Even as an enthusiast car, I would bet ~80% of the M3/M4 will be DCT, and less then the assumed 20% will ever see track time... I've never had one, but always liked them.. Seems like existing heat issues would be a major concern if planning to push it hard at all, but may not be a focus of theirs due to its rather limited track use... maybe fixed in the 'comp' model described above?

I'd actually think about a M3 as a family car, replacing my CLS550, would be a pretty sweet DD with room for a car seat...
Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
IRguy
Instructor

It seems I had a little better track experience with the e92 M3..
I did track my M3 extensively on R-comp tires before I got the RS. I had brake and power steering fluid (boiling) issues but never had a limp mode due to engine overheating even though I did several more than 30 min session in over 100F.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Silly question maybe, but why are people so absorbed with making porky road cars into track cars? Why not buy something cheaper and fully-stripped out to start with? Maybe an m3/m4 sucks on track... But that's not the point is it? Start with a roll cage stripped weighing 2500lb and costing $40k all-in, and kick road car asses all day at the track.

I realize the gt3 is probably a good compromise, but it's still a compromise.. You can get a used Cup car for the price of a base 991 gt3 and spank 991 RS butt all day long.

Quick Reply: Not bad...