Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Back on a serious note, it really sounds like driving a GT three, even with front Lyft in the city is going to require some real care and street knowledge. I need to figure out if I can even get in my driveway, it would be a bit of a tragedy if I purchased this car and I could not park it In my garage, I'm hesitant to say that this would even become a dealbreaker for the purchase, and I'd revert to something like a Boxster spyder
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Back on a serious note, it sounds like driving a GT three in the city requires some serious forethought and street knowledge. Driving without front lift seems dam near impossible (no pun intended).
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind the GT3 but any sports cars in NY is almost impossible with or without lifts. There is one additional option you can buy to make sure you can drive in and out of your driveway with any sports car for the next 30 years. Redo your ramp angle by a local mason. I just bought that option for the GT3 last week and its PNA approved.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I cannot imagine that 991 front lifter being substantially different than the 997 so I am mistaken. However, I do believe it takes up to five seconds to raise. So you really need to know the road you are on. How long did it take with the 997?
According to the docs posted earlier in this thread it takes 4 sec to raise fully. I think the big advantage is that you can anticipate locations/driveways you traverse daily that will cause a problem. Plan ahead a bit, raise the nose as you slow down and by the time you're there it's in position.

No solution is going to be 100% perfect but I want to give myself, and my front spoiler, a fighting chance.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I have resigned myself to scraping. It is one of the irritants of owning a high performance sport car. It really is not a big deal. Every GT3 has front end scrapes regardless of all the precautions taken.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

It's scrapping Nick. Get your participles right.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
It's scrapping Nick. Get your participles right.
Oops, possibly Freudian. Thinking the front end will look like scrap/crap.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

The front axle lift really should be standard equipment on the 991 GT3...

...possibly the only "must have" option for 991 GT3 secondary residuals...

...perhaps it will become standard equipment on the 991.2 GT3?

Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Good vids. That ain't 5 seconds...the lift is fast! I think I'm in.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Tacet... That was hilarious actually... I just pictured a Porsche as a woman lifting up her skirt to step over a mud puddle
Well, how hard is it to engineer a body part to lift up if they are going to make these cars sit so low to the ground?

Oh and for me.too a 1964 VW Bus was the car I learned to drive and lived with for about three years of my initial driving experience. Not too many hills in North Long Beach but the bus was lowered yes.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
The front axle lift really should be standard equipment on the 991 GT3...

...possibly the only "must have" option for 991 GT3 secondary residuals...

...perhaps it will become standard equipment on the 991.2 GT3?

Excellent video.. I live in Chicago, no hills, but will have to do some trial and error on the speed bumps all over my hood (e..g with a buddy watching).. Then my Condo driveway has a steep angle. Went with the lit system to be safe. Can't hurt re-sale either I imagine. Hmm. I'll google for videos on the technique for doing a speed bump. Sounds like you just approach at an angle.. I'm sure it will make sense when I first try it.. Will be out in the street this Jan with buddy trying this out, as probably wont' be able to drive anywhere till spring.. Probably look hilarious. At least car white and should match snow.. Dang..
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I have driven my "new-to-me" 2011 GT3 w/ 4k miles about 500 miles of my own now. And here is my johnny-come-lately quick review of the axle lift option.

1- I could never have imagined how practical and usable it is in street driving. My car is a weekend only toy, but I probably use the axle lift on average 4-5 times every time I drive the car. For the absolute steepest/roughest angle or speed bump, of course nothing may help. But there are lots of situations less than that, so its really nice to have.

2- Having said that, the system ABSOLUTELY has electrical/sensor bugs in it. I read of this ahead of time. In the end, its not that big of a deal. I find the system is fine under normal conditions --- driving, push the button, it comes up, then a bit later, push it again, and it comes back down. But it can get confused. For example (s) - lift the axle for a speed bump, then park immediately after, try to push it down after opening your door, or maybe engaging hand brake, need to put car in reverse, then maybe back into first. Or sometimes it takes a long time for it to read LIFT after the axle is clearly already lifted...like I am talking maybe 30-45 seconds, or longer, etc.

Bottom line, functionally I think it works. And I would probably order it on the 991. But I do think there are some software/electrical demons.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Well, I have driven my "new-to-me" 2011 GT3 w/ 4k miles about 500 miles of my own now. And here is my johnny-come-lately quick review of the axle lift option.

1- I could never have imagined how practical and usable it is in street driving. My car is a weekend only toy, but I probably use the axle lift on average 4-5 times every time I drive the car. For the absolute steepest/roughest angle or speed bump, of course nothing may help. But there are lots of situations less than that, so its really nice to have.

2- Having said that, the system ABSOLUTELY has electrical/sensor bugs in it. I read of this ahead of time. In the end, its not that big of a deal. I find the system is fine under normal conditions --- driving, push the button, it comes up, then a bit later, push it again, and it comes back down. But it can get confused. For example (s) - lift the axle for a speed bump, then park immediately after, try to push it down after opening your door, or maybe engaging hand brake, need to put car in reverse, then maybe back into first. Or sometimes it takes a long time for it to read LIFT after the axle is clearly already lifted...like I am talking maybe 30-45 seconds, or longer, etc.

Bottom line, functionally I think it works. And I would probably order it on the 991. But I do think there are some software/electrical demons.
Hey Jonathan, the system is designed NOT to lower if a door is open so you can't damage the door... The car needs to be lowered before a door is opened. This is likely the reason you are sometimes getting caught out with the system not lowering...
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris, I understand. My point is that sometimes, it doesnt work that way. If I park with the system raised and open my door, but then recall - "gee, I forgot to put down my axle", I close the door, it confuses the system. No lift signal, etc. Have to turn off the car, back on then put down, etc.

As I mentioned, I find the system really useful. I just think that it is VERY easy to confuse the system...seems like it is related to the sensors/electronics, not the actual list mechanism, which works really well.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmmm, strange.... Never really experienced that to be honest but I know some guys had issues dropping their car again via button...

Last edited by 911rox; 09-24-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lifter