Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So Pete, does this mean that unless I use the system while driving, that I could encounter streets in the city where I could hit the front end? I'm asking in reference to your comment ab avoiding certain intersections.

I have a slightly lowered BMW 5 series wagon, and I've scraped the middle of the car (high centered) coming down a few streets (some intersections on chestnut, and a few others in north beach where I live.

Would be crazy to have to predict an intersection and predict having to lift my gt3. Still not sure I can get this into my garage.. Need to find a way to check the uneven departure/approach angle.

Lastly, someone mentioned "borrowing an old gt3 from a dealer"...can't imagine a dealer letting anyone do this, but I would appreciate the experience of driving the car in the city. My spot is at Sonnen Porsche.. Anyone actually tried this before or is that just worthless Internet talk?
CAlexio,

As you know, SF is an extreme example in the US and an, um, interesting landscape for lowered or low cars. Heading down Kearney to Broadway (for instance) has me angling normal cars aggressively. I don't want to find out which cars won't clear. Never tried a GT3 there, and wouldn't want to. So, yes, there are intersections on ***, Russian, and Telegraph Hills that I specifically avoid in Porsche GT cars without a nose lift. Parts of the Mission and Pacific Heights, too. Even if some intersections can be "worked" with angles, I'd rather go a slightly different way because the hills vary so much and there are less steep ways to go.

As to SF driveways and approaches...all bets are off. I've seen some where I am not sure nose lift would get the job done—because muffler tip and high-center clearance can become issues, as well.

M5 wagon, eh? Not the black E60 parked on Chestnut that I saw a couple of weekends ago, by any chance? Almost has to be... If so, nice ride!

pete
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Thanks Pete. Only been couple of months and only few spirited drives old (including a wonderful one to Half moon with mooty, chasen and his dad) so still getting used to having the engine in the wrong end.
Though I learned to drive in a '64 VW bus, my first car was a 914. So when I started testing 911s, I wondered what all the fuss was about. I couldn't figure out why people were crazy about a sports car with an engine in the same place as my dad's bus. Then I got it, and started to learn to make the weight back there work for me, and figured out that all that rear-end traction out of turns is a fantastic setup on the road. You can't use a car at the limit on unpredictable roads anyway, so one that is optimized for "slow in, fast out" of corners you can't see around is a huge advantage—and very rewarding. And so began my love affair with the 911. After so many miles and years in them, having all that weight behind you actually become comforting in a very weird way, to the point that front-engined cars can feel odd/"unplanted" to me unless they are really good (BMW 1M, for example). I still prefer mid-engined cars, but have really grown to love the challenges, rewards, and advantages presented by the 911—and need to buy another one at some point.

Enjoy that GT3 with respect and it will only get better and better and better...

pete

Last edited by stout; 09-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

CAlexio,

M5 wagon, eh? Not the black E60 parked on Chestnut that I saw a couple of weekends ago, by any chance? Almost has to be... If so, nice ride!

pete
Very dark blue with black bbs-style multispoke dished rims, and m-sport kit. :-)
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Very dark blue with black bbs-style multispoke dished rims, and m-sport kit. :-)
Maybe it was blue. Was parked in the shade in front of the Mac store, and after looking at the wheels, vents, exhaust, etc., I remember thinking "That's no gussied up six-cylinder wagon. Wow!"

Nice ride.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,593 Likes on 2,339 Posts

So Pete, does this mean that unless I use the system while driving, that I could encounter streets in the city where I could hit the front end? I'm asking in reference to your comment ab avoiding certain intersections.

I have a slightly lowered BMW 5 series wagon, and I've scraped the middle of the car (high centered) coming down a few streets (some intersections on chestnut, and a few others in north beach where I live.

Would be crazy to have to predict an intersection and predict having to lift my gt3. Still not sure I can get this into my garage.. Need to find a way to check the uneven departure/approach angle.

Lastly, someone mentioned "borrowing an old gt3 from a dealer"...can't imagine a dealer letting anyone do this, but I would appreciate the experience of driving the car in the city. My spot is at Sonnen Porsche.. Anyone actually tried this before or is that just worthless Internet talk?
Yes, ask me how I know!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Oh, no.. Wasn't me. Mine is an m5 wannabe, but pretty toned down compared to what you described. Here is a picture next to the only actual m5 wagon in the US.. Picture was taken in napa, the m5 belongs to a guy connected to the America's cup... Lucky bastard

Edit: can't attach images... Rennlist tells me I've exceeded my quota??
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

Yes, ask me how I know!
Ok, I'll bite... How
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'll bite... How
there are no end of spots in S.F where my 7.2 will grind the front spoiler lip ... especially when going downhill ... I would say FAL is a "must have" for a 3 in S.F.

p.s
I used to have a 535ix M-Sport Wagon with 6sp manual, how I miss that car!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the car remains elevated for 40 seconds and then returns to its original position. Unless there is a way to keep the car elevated for that additional inch or so, the prospect of continuing to elevate while driving seems pointless.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If I am not mistaken, the car remains elevated for 40 seconds and then returns to its original position. Unless there is a way to keep the car elevated for that additional inch or so, the prospect of continuing to elevate while driving seems pointless.
Perhaps you are mistaken. On my 2010 GT3, the front lift can be activated at any speed below 30 MPH, and it stays activated until the vehicle speed goes over 30 MPH or until it is manually deactivated.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Perhaps you are mistaken. On my 2010 GT3, the front lift can be activated at any speed below 30 MPH, and it stays activated until the vehicle speed goes over 30 MPH or until it is manually deactivated.
+1
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I cannot imagine that 991 front lifter being substantially different than the 997 so I am mistaken. However, I do believe it takes up to five seconds to raise. So you really need to know the road you are on. How long did it take with the 997?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I cannot imagine that 991 front lifter being substantially different than the 997 so I am mistaken. However, I do believe it takes up to five seconds to raise. So you really need to know the road you are on. How long did it take with the 997?
I don't recall exactly, but that sounds about right or at least in the ballpark.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First question should be does the driver really know the proper way of approaching and driving up an incline with a lowered car?

And for the replace-able front air damn bits, there has to be a simpler and.easier method than using front lift.

If we could lift up the front bits by themselves instead of lifting the whole car seems more effective and cheaper. But I will probably be laughed at for saying that.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Tacet... That was hilarious actually... I just pictured a Porsche as a woman lifting up her skirt to step over a mud puddle

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lifter