Sponsored by:

Another new Vid - Feast for the Senses

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If a mistake is made with a new model it will be reflected in sales. Try buying a 991GT3 today.
This. Car is all sold out, so, why would Porsche perceive a problem? A few complainers on Rennlist?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
This. Car is all sold out, so, why would Porsche perceive a problem? A few complainers on Rennlist?
Is that true, or is it just the initial allocation which is sold out? My dealer has no idea how many he'll be able to get after his initial allocation (1 or 2 cars).
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

There's one big difference between the situation now and that with the GT cars in '08 and '10. Regulations have changed, and the window is beginning to close on NA and indeed pure IC performance cars. The extended production run that some see as inevitable due to demand may not happen. Just as the NA V8 is disappearing from the Cayenne and Panamera, the 991.2 GT3 that some are waiting for may turn out to be a lower revving smaller displacement turbo or plug in hybrid. The 918, for all of the controversy surrounding it, wasn't built just in an attempt to profit. It's a test bed for tomorrow's tech and tomorrow is coming sooner, not later.

If that prospect makes you feel better then you may have been right to wait. Personally, I wasn't going to take the chance.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Is that true, or is it just the initial allocation which is sold out? My dealer has no idea how many he'll be able to get after his initial allocation (1 or 2 cars).
This has been addressed several times by others. It's not just that the initial allocation is sold out. What I've heard and read from several sources is that the number of people on waiting lists for the GT3 worldwide exceeds Porsche's capacity to build them. Basically the projected production run is sold out. The reason your dealer doesn't know how many cars he will get is because Porsche is trying to allocate cars in an environment where there is more pent up demand than anticipated supply and they are trying to figure out who will be served and who won't be.

Will this get sorted out to the point where cars become a glut and prices begin to drop as some here are predicting? Maybe. But if you're a potential buyer, and your name isn't already on a wait list, I wouldn't be feeling real comfortable.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Interesting BC when I placed my deposit back in November, dealer was telling me that gt3 was hard to sell to anyone but a true knowledgeable enthusiast, but that once reviews would start coming out that these would be conpletely sold out very early on. he said Regular buyers would go for a turbo or a spec'd out convertible for $130k before a gt3 they couldn't test drive.

I thought he was just a good salesperson and appreciated his creativity in pretending to complement me and make me feel speshul :-)

Now I'm wondering if I didn't just make a really smart move in not going for the used 997.1 I was looking at. Anyway, it would add a bit of coolness factor if the whole run was truly sold out, but won't change things really. If the driving experience is special, that's all I will car about when I write my $150k check (gulp!)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all: Re the video, what I see is speed, speed, speed and easy, easy, easy. There will be many more accidents in these cars than before because of the people driving them, and the speeds attainable.

Re transmission choice: If what is being written here is true, and the car is pre sold everywhere, congratulations P on an excellent business decision. I am starting to realize that those of us who prefer manual are going to be left out. Oh well, at least I got my 991S as a manual
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

They would sell just as many with a manual - hence every other GT car ever made.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr

Probably repost but some interesting and pertinent comments from 3:45 from AP about surveying GT2/3 customers.
yes, totally contradicting himself again!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

At the time he made those statements, there was no contradiction at all.

I think what you mean to say is that he's now contradicted himself with the release of this GT3. To a certain extent I agree, but he chose to use 'electronical gizmos' b/c performance targets could not be hit otherwise, and those gizmos are transparent to the driver.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yes, that is what i meant. thank you

"on a gt car we want to stay puristic, we don't want to be follower..."
true if puristic is by offering one transmission only
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in the future we'll see another video- " mea culpa" where a graying AP crys to his wife about selling out the manual tranny.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM
luffe
Intermediate

I don't think the worst thing with the PDK is loosing driving pleasure - it's that the GT3 suddenly becomes driveable to all the douche bags that only go up and down the boulevards with the lever in D, and who couldn't handle the heavy clutch manual in all the previous GT3's.

I fear large amount of 991 GT3s will just be ricer cars.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Dude-
Pro

Thats the point Luffe. I will be an owner of a the new GT3 where I will be a Poser in the morning to get my coffee and a track monster at Monticello in the afternoon and become a douche bag at night when I'm cruising at night with my mistress.
The GT3 offers all that and more. Did I mention Im a ring number pusher too?
Oh about the ricer thing--Its MR. Ricer in the ricer world.

Talk about catering to a larger envelope. How can you not like it.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

luffe, while I don't agree, who cares. if some douchebags end up owning the car b/c of PDK, it doesn't detract from the car IMO. If it's an awesome car, then it's an awesome car with a subset of dbags driving them. If it's just an OK car, then it's an OK car with a subset of dbags driving them.

It's not like you'll come across that many gt3s in your daily commute, it's only on the internet where you'd get a feel for the enthusiast:dbag ratio. In real life the place I think you'd see a concentration of GT3s is on track, but by definition those owners cannot be dbags, correct?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Dude-
Pro

Its inevitable that when I driving it to work some folks will call me a poser. What do I need to do set the record straight? put my helmet on the passenger seat and put up some track stickers? that'll make me a bigger poser. Solution. don't care about it. The car will be purchase for fun as an enthusiast and take it to the track on weekends. I'll never call anyone who drives a sports car a poser. I call them lucky bastards. That will keep me off the haters list. Just enjoy what the car offers, who cares what others think.

Quick Reply: Another new Vid - Feast for the Senses