Sponsored by:

Mobile Phone Preparation: You need it

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
"In the USA all 991s get Bluetooth. It is part of the PCM. The mobile phone prep option actually puts a phone module in the car and has an external antenna. You put the SIM card in the slot in the dash. Bluetooth is not used in this case."

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ion-print.html
There are two mobile phone related options for the GT3. One is the Telephone Module for $265. This is the option that puts a phone module in the car and prepares it for a SIM:

Telephone Module
Includes: - Internal quad-band GSM telephone module with Bluetooth® interface for ease of use and optimized sound quality, enables same hands-free phone operation as standard Bluetooth® mobile phone connection
- Alternative operation modes with SIM Access Profile (SAP) to use the vehicle’s antennas to save the handheld’s batteries and improve connection quality or with a separate SIM card that can be inserted into the PCM

The other option is the $0 Mobile Phone Preparation. This one has no description in the configurator and is the one I asked about. According to my sales rep's PCNA ordering contact it's required specifically in the GT3 to allow a mobile phone to work despite the fact that the standard features list shows Bluetooth. According to my rep the car does have Bluetooth but won't work with a phone without the Mobile Phone Prep.

I'm just passing on what I was told, and since the option costs nothing, I added it. Feel free to live dangerously.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7218...on-option.html
Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I saw that thread about the 991 Carrera. What I was told was that the phone compatibility issue was exclusive to the GT3 presumably because, unlike the Carrera, PCM is not automatically included in the car and some of it's features are offered ala carte. Note that no $0 Mobile Phone Prep option is shown in the configurator for the Carrera or Carrera S.

I wasn't willing to take the chance of my phone not working and saw no downside to ordering the phone prep. If I didn't do it, by the time the car arrived it would be too late. I guess we'll know if it matters in a few months when people who didn't order it get their cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just spoke with the fleet manager at my dealer--confirmed that you DO need to include the $0 cost Mobile Phone Preparation on your order for the "free / standard" Bluetooth connectivity for your phone. It makes no rational sense...yet, it is what it is.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

I put this to me dealer, a Premier dealer. Here is what the sales manager said. (All the below)

"I guess the first point should be that the car has Bluetooth as standard equipment. After that, all the phone options in audio and communications are to allow the client to put a simm card in the head unit in order to have a separated phone in the car. This was the technology in 2006 Porsche was using instead of Bluetooth. The mobile phone preparation is wiring to install the “Don Johnson” phone cradle in the car that was used before hands free phones and Bluetooth. Hope that helps!"

This is from your builds standard equipment:

Electrical Systems
• Power windows with one-touch operation and door seal protection
• Rain sensing windshield wiper system with aerodynamic wiper blades, 2 wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and heated washer
nozzles
• Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors on door panels
• Heated rear glass window
• CDR audio system with 7-inch color touchscreen, radio with dual tuner, 4 speakers, 2x25 watt integrated amplifier, single CD drive with
playback of MP3 format music
• Universal audio interface (AUX-IN) in the glove compartment for connection of external audio sources
• Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection, using Hands Free Profile (HFP)
• HomeLink® programmable garage door opener
• Interior lighting with variable dimming
• Reading lights, luggage compartment lighting, orientation lighting, ignition lock and vanity mirror lighting in LED technology, as well as
footwell lighting, glove compartment, and exit lights
• Three 12-volt plugs (passenger side footwell, glove compartment, enclosed center console storage compartment)
• Power release button for front and rear lid
• Cruise control
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'm not trying to argue the point, just passing on what I was told by PCNA through my rep. Clearly someone providing the info is wrong. If you don't order it we'll have a conclusive test case!

Also, FWIW, the standard equipment list shows rain sensing wipers yet those are also shown as an option for $690 with dimming mirrors. That suggests to me that there are errors in the standard equipment list.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why bother when it is a free option? Just order it. It won't hurt you I guess

The SIM-slot where you can put a SIM in your PCM and use that as your phone is called "Telephone Module". FWIW... In Europe you have to pay for the Phone Preperation on all 911 models. Although it's called Porsche COMMUNICATION Management, Bluetooth is not a standard feature!

I am 100% sure you need the Phone preperation. Without that option, PCM doesn't have bluetooth.

Edit: for U.S. market that option is normally included when you opt for PCM for carrera and Turbo models. Option number is 619. On the GT3 configurator it is a seperate, free option that you have to select.

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 07-31-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Wouldn't the safer course of action be to order it? Yes, PCM includes Bluetooth, but maybe the car is not set up for a microphone. Who knows.

Also the standard features list is known to have errors such as, "rain sensing windshield wiper system." That is NOT standard, despite being in the list.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Why bother when it is a free option? Just order it. It won't hurt you I guess

Suzy991
Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Wouldn't the safer course of action be to order it? Yes, PCM includes Bluetooth, but maybe the car is not set up for a microphone. Who knows.
That's what I figured as well.....
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

That's what I figured as well.....
Trust me on this one... i've been trough that whole process when ordering my C4S. In Switzerland we have a so called "Swiss Package", which inludes PCM and Mobile phone preperation and some other stuff. But even if you opt for the swiss package, you have to select the mobile phone preperation which now changed into a free option, If your salesman doesn't do that, you don't get bluetooth.
I did some deep research, because I wanted to be 100% sure...

Suzy991
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

I asked the sales manager exactly why you would need the option. I also forwarded this thread for him to read. Here is his reply:

"I’ve attached the order guide for you as well.

619 Preparation for mobile phone 1
Bluetooth® interface for the connection to a mobile phone with the hands free profile (HFP),
contains the Hands-free function and mute-function, with possibility to operate the basic functions on base PCM
or the multi-function steering wheel, including a microphone, cabling and GSM antenna
1 - 609, 666, C32(S)

I believe that if you were to order the crappy radio CDR head without navigation the radio head does not come equipped with the module that adds the bluetooth interface; so you need to click on 619 for Bluetooth. In your build, we have the PCM with navigation and the module comes in the PCM head unit already."
Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I asked the sales manager exactly why you would need the option. I also forwarded this thread for him to read. Here is his reply:

"I’ve attached the order guide for you as well.

619 Preparation for mobile phone 1
Bluetooth® interface for the connection to a mobile phone with the hands free profile (HFP),
contains the Hands-free function and mute-function, with possibility to operate the basic functions on base PCM
or the multi-function steering wheel, including a microphone, cabling and GSM antenna
1 - 609, 666, C32(S)

I believe that if you were to order the crappy radio CDR head without navigation the radio head does not come equipped with the module that adds the bluetooth interface; so you need to click on 619 for Bluetooth. In your build, we have the PCM with navigation and the module comes in the PCM head unit already."
Obviously that's a description originally specific to another model since the GT3 isn't available with a multi-function steering wheel. For your sake, I hope your sales manager is right.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-31-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Since there's no description of the Mobile Phone Preperation on the US configurator, I copied the description from the UK website, because I was too lazy to translate it myself from the German website, but it says exactly the same.

Description of option number 619 Mobile Phone Preperation:

Mobile phone preparation
"With Bluetooth® interface for pairing a mobile phone by means of the Handsfree Profile (HFP). Comprises hands-free function and mute function and operation of basic functions by PCM or optional multifunction steering wheel. Includes microphone. Notes: For information on compatible mobile phones, please visit www.porsche.com or contact your Porsche Centre. Mobile phone preparation: The use of a mobile phone inside a car may cause an increase in the interior electromagnetic field strength and, accordingly, in the electromagnetic radiation to which passengers are exposed. The use of the telephone module for PCM via Bluetooth® SAP connection or with inserted SIM card prevents exposure to electromagnetic radiation as only the car’s external aerial is ever used"

Now if I take the description of the PCM from the US configurator, there's clearly no mentioning of bluetooth:
Porsche Communication Management incl. Navigation Module
Includes:

Central information and communications system
- High-resolution 7-inch WVGA (Wide Video Graphics Array) TFT colour touchscreen display
- Radio with RDS twin tuner and scan/phase diversity for optimum reception
- Single CD/DVD drive supporting audio playback of audio/video DVDs and tracks in MP3 format
- Storage and playback of up to 10,000 MP3 data on the internal hardrive1)

Navigation module with
- Hard drive containing navigation data for most of Europe
- 3D map display and 3D navigation map supporting city and terrain models with satellite image overlay
- Dynamic route calculation (TMC)
- Dynamic route calculation in consideration of diverse traffic flow information (TMC Pro)
- Automatic route tracing and subsequent reverse route navigation, and navigation by compass and GPS in regions not covered by map data
- Command of all online navigation destinations in conjunction with optimal online services
- USB port for various iPod® and iPhone® models, MP3 players and USB memory sticks containing MP3 tracks. Includes operation via the PCM, the optional multifunction steering wheel or the optional voice control

I wouldn't take the risk of not selecting it, especially when it's a free option. What is the benefit of NOT selecting it??
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

My dealer called me back today after checking with Porsche's main ordering guy, Joe West. He confirmed that Mike is right, you do need it for Bluetooth to work. I tip my hat to Mike.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

My dealer called me back today after checking with Porsche's main ordering guy, Joe West. He confirmed that Mike is right, you do need it for Bluetooth to work. I tip my hat to Mike.
Finally! haha

I knew for 100% sure that he was right (and me too )

Suzy991

Quick Reply: Mobile Phone Preparation: You need it