Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Steel Brakes on your 991 GT3?
PCCBs, the car is for street driving only.
22.76%
PCCBs, and I'll track it that way too.
22.46%
PCCB, but buying steel rotors or system for track.
6.68%
Steel brakes, it's the way I roll.
48.10%
Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
$10,000.00 is a lot of money for optional ceramic brakes. It's very very expensive.
It would be worth it if the Porsche ceramics were truly long term and proven to last on the race track with long term empiracle data. .

Do you all remember when Porsche installed ceramics on the 996 GT2 and claimed 100,000 mile guaranteed lifetime durability ....... What a joke mess that was.

Eventually the stuff will work I hope. Ferrari only installs ceramics on all their cars since 2008 and Porsche installs ceramics on all GT3 RS cars how are these cars holding out to major repeated Red run group open track day abuse?

Have a great sunday
they run them for a season of super cup with one set for the entire season.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was looking for my GT3RS I was convinced I wanted PCCB's until a friend of mine, Leh Keen, advised me against getting them. He pointed out the wear/expense issues mentioned earlier in this thread as well as even a rock becoming wedged between the pad and the rotor which could score the PCCB rotor and ruin it as well. He pointed out that the cars that run in the ALMS series (like his 59 Brumos Porsche) do not utilize carbon rotors. I wound up getting a set of Demand rotors (supplier to many of the race teams) with Pagid yellows and the car stops like no other. Wear has also been great with a set of pads lasting around 16-20 track days for my style of driving (intermediate to advanced solo). I plan on removing the stock steels rotors and pads when I get my 991 in the spring and going with the Demand rotors again.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what makes the deman rotors so special vs. stock? B/c of the slotting? I've always liked slotted rotors better than drilled, but there's no magic in the metallurgy of iron rotors to my knowledge.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the cost of the ccb i would do a 5lug conversion w/ 19s and a roll bar.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Originally Posted by frayed
what makes the deman rotors so special vs. stock? B/c of the slotting? I've always liked slotted rotors better than drilled, but there's no magic in the metallurgy of iron rotors to my knowledge.
That's a good question. I'm no expert so I'll ask to find out. The rotors do have a golden hue to them, but I'm not sure what that could be attributed to. I don't know if it's due to the slotted design or not, but I can lap them for 30 min without any fade. The tires give up adhesion before the brakes give up anything. Leh drove the car at Road Atlanta and was really impressed with the setup.....
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Slotting would provide good bite and no drilling equals no cracks...

There is definitely a difference in metals used for rotors... Running PFC, they are awesome. 3000 hard track kms on them thus far and still great... my oems lasted 1400kms before they had 10mm cracks (Porsche quote 7mm to be max allowable)... Heard nothing but good things about brembo too but pad options more limited. When last I checked, there were no deman rotors for CL cars...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01
When I was looking for my GT3RS I was convinced I wanted PCCB's until a friend of mine, Leh Keen, advised me against getting them. He pointed out the wear/expense issues mentioned earlier in this thread as well as even a rock becoming wedged between the pad and the rotor which could score the PCCB rotor and ruin it as well. He pointed out that the cars that run in the ALMS series (like his 59 Brumos Porsche) do not utilize carbon rotors. I wound up getting a set of Demand rotors (supplier to many of the race teams) with Pagid yellows and the car stops like no other. Wear has also been great with a set of pads lasting around 16-20 track days for my style of driving (intermediate to advanced solo). I plan on removing the stock steels rotors and pads when I get my 991 in the spring and going with the Demand rotors again.
I was at the Mosport GP a week ago and the Falken Tire 997 GT3 RSR was running steel rotors and AP Racing calipers. I have a picture I'll try and post from my phone.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Dan39
Racer

Couldn't upload the photo for whatever reason. Here's the rotors:

https://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...action=product

Grooved - not drilled.

The calipers were AP Racing - not Brembo, which come factory on the RSR.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Why arent pccb prices coming down?
Hint: Look into who owns the company making the rotors.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
pyramid
Racer

Originally Posted by CRex
I've been a PCCB fanboy all this time. Main reason being unsprung weight and the corresponding steering feel which is definitely a noticeable upgrade in crispness.

HOWEVER with the electric steering in the 991 I'm questioning the validity of my logic. It's the computer simulating wheel feedback anyways, I frankly don't know if lower unsprung will translate into anything at the wheel.

Another thing for the more tech focused crowd: the ceramics on the 991 is actually a DIFFERENT technology from the PCCBs of old. It's a shinier finish with intrinsic glass-like cracks on day 1, akin to what we see on Lamborghini ceramics (as opposed to the fiber-laced matrices in present gen cars). So the longevity datapoints in our minds may go out the door until these cars start seeing real track miles.
Based on my back to back driving on 'regular' 991s (spirited street driving) how you felt before with PCCB is still valid with the electric steering 991. Night and day different actually. And the price is a bargain compared to what Brembo asking for.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01
That's a good question. I'm no expert so I'll ask to find out. The rotors do have a golden hue to them, but I'm not sure what that could be attributed to. I don't know if it's due to the slotted design or not, but I can lap them for 30 min without any fade. The tires give up adhesion before the brakes give up anything. Leh drove the car at Road Atlanta and was really impressed with the setup.....
Ted, We HAVE TO get together! I'll be at PCA R/A on Aug.10-11. I'd like to know more about your rotors. Best, Allan
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Allan, I agree! We have to get together soon! Unfortunately, I head out to the Monterey/Pebble Beach car week with the 670SV right after that weekend so I won't be able to attend that event. We are doing Chin and MVP events at RA in the fall so let's coordinate. I got the rotors through Nathan at Topspeed using Leh's connection.....
Hope all is well with you and see you soon!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

The PCCB rotors are bigger, so ordering PCCB and shelving the rotors allows bigger after market bolt on rotors either steel or ceramic. OEM steel wont fit.

I assume the calipers are the same, except for color?

If you have to go steel, we'll have to wait to see what will be available and I also wonder if the steel in that size is just getting too heavy?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The PCCB rotors are bigger, so ordering PCCB and shelving the rotors allows bigger after market bolt on rotors either steel or ceramic. OEM steel wont fit.

I assume the calipers are the same, except for color?

If you have to go steel, we'll have to wait to see what will be available and I also wonder if the steel in that size is just getting too heavy?
So if you buy the PCCBs and switch to a steel rotor, what will the rotor and pad selection be like for the front brakes?

Is there already an aftermarket 410 mm steel rotor?

Based on the poll lets say 1/2 of the buyers go PCCB and some small portion of those want to use steel discs and compatible pads - not much market so either they will not be supported by the aftermarket or the price would be very high. So the availability will be limited to the Porsche rotor and pad combination - not sure how that will compare to a real racing pad.

Ryan
Old 07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anyth...boola-internal

Quick Reply: PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?