Sponsored by:

Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I didn't say I thought it was good, TrackFan. I said that, so far, every tester who has driven it has said it was good. No tester has said anything remotely similar to "it's like driving a simulation with no force feedback" so I simply asked what info you have that makes you think that.

Possibly you are confusing comments about the 991 Carrera steering with comments about the new GT3 steering. Watch the Chris Harris video again from the 7:40 mark to see what he has to say about the steering, particularly his final comment on it.
I watch all the videos when they come out Mike. I don't see anybody saying the steering is the best they've ever felt. Isn't that what they used to say about Porsche? Electric steering is a by product of needing more economy. That's fine for the majority of the cars Porsche sells. Couldn't they leave the GT3 more for the purist? If not, how about the RS? They seem to be saying every performance car will have electric steering, and PDK. Along with all the other aids it has.

I have a news for Porsche. Not everybody wants the car to be easier to drive. Sometimes progress needs to be stopped, and enjoy what we have. We're talking about a sports car. They should be drivers cars. The goal now seems to be to make the car as easy to drive as possible, as long as it's faster.

Sorry, but i'm not going for it. I guess I need to stick to the older cars that were made for drivers.

Excuse for my minor rant. I've always been upset at what happened to F1. Now it's being carried over to street/track cars.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

TrackFan - I enjoy your comments, opinions, and rants. You've quickly become a RennList regular with 79 posts in the 991 GT3 forum since you first posted on RL just five days ago.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

+1
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I'm sort of passionate about the subject. I've thought about getting a GT3 for a few years now. I'm disappointed that when I'm finally ready, they make a GT3 that I don't want.

It's not all lost. I can get an older one, so you guys enjoy your 991 GT3.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Porsche has always had great steering cars to be sure. But they pale in comparison to Lotus IMO, although they are still better than Ferrari's steering racks. Fiats IMO tend to be quick and precise but lack feel.

The 991 steering was its biggest downfall IMO. That's why I didn't buy a 991S. e-steering is here to stay, however, and it will continue to get better. The problem isn't with the technology (hydraulic to electric) but rather the implementation of the technology. After all, 90% + of the cars out there with 'power' steering aren't worth a schit.

The GT3 will prove there's so much more engineering to be done to get it to where the hydraulic had evolved to, but reading b/t the lines from the reviewers I don't think it will be as good as the 4.0 RS.

Despite being off a few ticks in steering feel to the best hydraulic boxes out there, and despite loss of the manual, I think it will be an epic ride. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Ah yes, the Lotus! I've been a fan since first seeing Jim Clark drive the Lotus 25/33.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Ah yes, the Lotus! I've been a fan since first seeing Jim Clark drive the Lotus 25/33.
Bravo +1

One of the all time great combinations.

Per chance. Did you see Jim Clark race in person?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I did at Watkins Glen in the 60's.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I watch all the videos when they come out Mike. I don't see anybody saying the steering is the best they've ever felt. Isn't that what they used to say about Porsche? Electric steering is a by product of needing more economy. That's fine for the majority of the cars Porsche sells. Couldn't they leave the GT3 more for the purist? If not, how about the RS? They seem to be saying every performance car will have electric steering, and PDK. Along with all the other aids it has.

I have a news for Porsche. Not everybody wants the car to be easier to drive. Sometimes progress needs to be stopped, and enjoy what we have. We're talking about a sports car. They should be drivers cars. The goal now seems to be to make the car as easy to drive as possible, as long as it's faster.

Sorry, but i'm not going for it. I guess I need to stick to the older cars that were made for drivers.

Excuse for my minor rant. I've always been upset at what happened to F1. Now it's being carried over to street/track cars.
Fair enough, TrackFan. Makes more sense to me than saying the new steering is like a "simulation with no force feedback" which is where you started. I hope you find a nice used GT3 (or whatever) that meets your needs.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Thanks Mike.

What I meant by the simulation comment was steering can be accurate and precise, but still not have any feel. You don't feel traction being lost, or undulations in the track. It's how a sim feels without force feedback.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
markow
Racer

the fiat 458 steering beats the 997 CS and obviously C4S steering by a mile, IMHO. it is fast, actually very fast, direct and communicative. i have not driven the 997 GT3/RS though, can't compare.
i have driven the 991 CS and was rather appalled by its steering. much prefer the fezza. probably the 991 GT3 is going to put this straight.
peter

Originally Posted by frayed
Porsche has always had great steering cars to be sure. But they pale in comparison to Lotus IMO, although they are still better than Ferrari's steering racks. Fiats IMO tend to be quick and precise but lack feel.

The 991 steering was its biggest downfall IMO. That's why I didn't buy a 991S. e-steering is here to stay, however, and it will continue to get better. The problem isn't with the technology (hydraulic to electric) but rather the implementation of the technology. After all, 90% + of the cars out there with 'power' steering aren't worth a schit.

The GT3 will prove there's so much more engineering to be done to get it to where the hydraulic had evolved to, but reading b/t the lines from the reviewers I don't think it will be as good as the 4.0 RS.

Despite being off a few ticks in steering feel to the best hydraulic boxes out there, and despite loss of the manual, I think it will be an epic ride. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sort of passionate about the subject. I've thought about getting a GT3 for a few years now. I'm disappointed that when I'm finally ready, they make a GT3 that I don't want.

It's not all lost. I can get an older one, so you guys enjoy your 991 GT3.
You're right to start "at the beginning" and not throw money at the latest marketing sensation -- I see precious little value in the cutting edge of 911's since the RS 3.8 circa 2009/2010. Since then, it's been a half a step forward and two yards back. We can only hope the 991 GT3 recovers lost ground.

It all depends on intent and purpose, so if you're track driving, start at the 996 GT3. If you're predominantly road driving, start at the 997.1 GT3 and you might never really find a compelling reason to buy another 911. At least, not for the foreseeable future. If you want to sidestep the expense of buying successive taste tests, and it's your budget, just go directly to the RS 3.8 and you're pretty much at the apex.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks Mike.
What I meant by the simulation comment was steering can be accurate and precise, but still not have any feel. You don't feel traction being lost, or undulations in the track. It's how a sim feels without force feedback.
TrackFan, if I thought for a minute that really described the steering of the 991 GT3, I'd be on the phone right now cancelling my order instead of being here . Guess I'm a risk taker after all.

Best,
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Just so you know, the steering on my 991 C2S has plenty of feel- I feel traction being lost and undulations in the track and variations in road surfaces- just not the way I had in my 911 SC, and with better dynamic control, even after lowering the spindles to undo the bump steer that comes with lowering to tracking specs. With Sport PASM and no PDCC, it has more of the old Porsche feel than some other setups. It is different- and for me no way inferior. The essential thing- being able to place the car more precisely than ever, continues the Porsche line.

Road test driver after road test driver, no matter how dubious they start, just "got over it" as they explored the superior dynamics of the 4 wheel steering, the higher stability of the longer wheelbase, the better turn in and absence of understeer with the wider track, and the improved oompf of the new engine. The evidence just overwhelms the speculation.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Ok, I give in. I'll wait for your reviews when you get yours.

Still no manual though.

Let me ask a question about the earlier GT3's for those of you that had/own one.

I read over and over that they start with understeer, and transition to quick oversteer. Would you describe them that way?

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3