Sponsored by:

GT3 Allocation Available at Porsche of Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I know for certain I will not get the adaptive sport seats which are available. I will be the only driver and don't need an 18 way electric seat costing close to $6000. I figured I would save the additional $2000 and option it elsewhere.

I also agree that sport bucket seats are very difficult for resale except in cars like the GT3 which is basically a road race car. I think they are a must for a car like the GT3 but I am not willing to wait a year to get them. A deal with the dealer is an excellent suggestion should I want them later.
Maybe you typo'd but the diff between the seats themselves is $2635 not $6000. Maybe you're looking at the difference between no leather standard and the full leather ***.

I'm not thrilled about the extra 30 lbs for the adaptive seats over the sport plus. However I did test sit in some. While I don't care at all about lumbar, the ability to extend the bottom cushion gives more thigh support and in combo with the rake adjustment (not available on the sport plus) you can get a seating position where your butt is locked in pretty snugly; almost as good as with the sport buckets in my Carrera S. The adjustable side bolsters also add a bit of snugness. No harness slots, of course, which would be tolerable for autox but not for extensive DE. Maybe a separate, less expensive aftermarket driver's seat would be an option, depending on how many events I'd be doing. Still sorting it out....

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I agree, but it sounds like there are not many in line for allocations.
According to my saleman, his dealership has gotten calls from all over the country asking if they would take a deposit, but they already have more waiters in line than likely allocations. I suspect worldwide Porsche is looking at potentially full order books, despite the few defections we've seen posted about here.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike, you're right. If you just take the basic seat it is no charge. The 18 way with leather is $5900. If you take the basis seat with leather the difference is as you stated $2635. Have you had adaptive seats? I hate to admit this but I don't remember if my 997.2TT cab had adaptive seats. I do recall having a car where I was able to extend the bottom cushion but not sure if it was the TT. I need to find out from my salesman.

As far as the GT3 selling out, on that I have no doubt. We have yet to receive the reviews and once those are out the dealerships will be inundated with request to be placed on the list.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I agree, but it sounds like there are not many in line for allocations.
Cite your source.

Philly Austin various Boston dealers: they have more on the list than expected allocations. Whoever thinks the wait list is thin is wrong.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, you're right. If you just take the basic seat it is no charge. The 18 way with leather is $5900. If you take the basis seat with leather the difference is as you stated $2635. Have you had adaptive seats? I hate to admit this but I don't remember if my 997.2TT cab had adaptive seats. I do recall having a car where I was able to extend the bottom cushion but not sure if it was the TT. I need to find out from my salesman.

As far as the GT3 selling out, on that I have no doubt. We have yet to receive the reviews and once those are out the dealerships will be inundated with request to be placed on the list.
Nick, I do have extending cushions in my Cayenne and I like them because I'm long legged and they give better thigh support. Other than that, I've never had the 18 way adaptive seats but did spend about 20 minutes sitting in one in a 997.2 TT on the dealer lot, fiddling with the controls and trying different positions. They weren't as supportive as the buckets in my Carrera S, but they were pretty darn good and would be perfect for the street use and ok for very occasional track work, IMO. For more serious track use, while support might be acceptable, especially with the grippy alcantera surface, it's the lack of harness compatibility that's a deal breaker.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
If you are going to mostly drive the car on the street the sport seats are a pain.
can someone in the know discuss this a bit further. This will be my first modern porsche and definitely first gt3. I felt a bit dismayed when I found out on this forum that we don't get the buckets like in Europe... is this going to change? I have a 2014 summer delivery spot.. are these going to be extra cost?

how do the buckets feel for day-to-day driving... too harsh? I feel like a gt3 without them may be missing something.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
can someone in the know discuss this a bit further. This will be my first modern porsche and definitely first gt3. I felt a bit dismayed when I found out on this forum that we don't get the buckets like in Europe... is this going to change? I have a 2014 summer delivery spot.. are these going to be extra cost?

how do the buckets feel for day-to-day driving... too harsh? I feel like a gt3 without them may be missing something.
Nobody knows at this point when the seats will be available; when they are they are certain to be extra cost in the GT3. Probably standard in the RS.

As for comfort, it's obviously subjective. The main thing is, will you fit. They are relatively narrow so larger body types may feel squeezed. I'm 6'1" 190 and they fit me perfectly. Getting in and out requires some dexterity, especially if you don't want to drag your butt on the bolsters and wear them prematurely. All that said, they give me a great driving position, are comfortable enough for daily driving or long trips (IMO), very supportive, are lighter, are essential if you want a factory seat you can use with a harness, and look great. If they aren't available when I order, I'll add them after the fact.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio

I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and getting into and out of the bucket seats is impossible without rubbing heavily on the bolsters and there is no doubt in my mind having worn the much smaller bolsters on the sports plus seats in a prior car that the bucket seat bolsters would be worn in a year or two.

Also, if you plan on wearing a suit, you run a very high risk of tearing the seat or pockets of your suit with the gymnastics required to get in and out of the buckets. In fact, I did this with the sports plus seats as well.

IMO Porsche needs a squared off at the bottom (like the Audi R8) or smaller steering wheel to make this less of an issue for larger people.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nobody knows at this point when the seats will be available; when they are they are certain to be extra cost in the GT3. Probably standard in the RS.

As for comfort, it's obviously subjective. The main thing is, will you fit. They are relatively narrow so larger body types may feel squeezed. I'm 6'1" 190 and they fit me perfectly. Getting in and out requires some dexterity, especially if you don't want to drag your butt on the bolsters and wear them prematurely. All that said, they give me a great driving position, are comfortable enough for daily driving or long trips (IMO), very supportive, are lighter, are essential if you want a factory seat you can use with a harness, and look great. If they aren't available when I order, I'll add them after the fact.
I found the standard, free, sport seats in my .2 gt3 to more be great for normal driving and hard cornering. However, I would have to pin my lt. knee against the door and rt. against the tunnel to stay seated. Not sure if the same would be present with the ***. I may skip the extra $2650 and weight and get the standard seats again. I thought I'd miss the rake adjustment but didn't.

Mike, I know we talked about the weight delta. I recall someone here weighing both and coming up with over 45 lbs if not closer to 50 lbs. You could most certainly be right with the 30 lb calculation; just saying.

We all try to justify our purchases. That said, I'm thinking skipping *** and using the savings towards PCCBs. Total weight savings would be significant and the majority in the the most meaningful place. This way the ceramics ONLY cost $6500 or so. Not over-priced at all, lol.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911dev
I found the standard, free, sport seats in my .2 gt3 to more be great for normal driving and hard cornering. However, I would have to pin my lt. knee against the door and rt. against the tunnel to stay seated. Not sure if the same would be present with the ***. I may skip the extra $2650 and weight and get the standard seats again. I thought I'd miss the rake adjustment but didn't.

Mike, I know we talked about the weight delta. I recall someone here weighing both and coming up with over 45 lbs if not closer to 50 lbs. You could most certainly be right with the 30 lb calculation; just saying.

We all try to justify our purchases. That said, I'm thinking skipping *** and using the savings towards PCCBs. Total weight savings would be significant and the majority in the the most meaningful place. This way the ceramics ONLY cost $6500 or so. Not over-priced at all, lol.
Good info Chris, thanks. As you say, using your knees to keep yourself braced isn't optimal; I've done that too with the original seats in my 996 which is why I changed them out at the time for the Euro GT3 seats. Never had the problem, of course with the sport buckets and harness in the 997. After having sat in the *** and played with the adjustable bolsters I doubt they would make a big difference, so as I said, I'm likely to get the free seats and upgrade when the buckets can be had.

Speaking of weight, I can't remember if I posted the numbers I have on the seats nor can I remember where I got them from but I did write them down. No guarantee on accuracy as I haven't personally confirmed them but FWIW:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128 lbs
Sport Plus Seats 97.2 lbs
GT2 Style Sport Buckets 78 lbs

And, yeah, we most definitely find ways to justify what we really want to do!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
frayed
Race Car

911dev, that's some justification right there!

But anyway, I wouldn't get ceramics if you plan on or have the possibility of a bunch of track days, b/c the rotors are huge money to replace. I felt my 997S was more 'lively' and braking feel was improved with ceramics, when I compared my car against the standard brakes but not worth the drawbacks for a track used car (cost and extra care changing wheels).
Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
911dev, that's some justification right there!

But anyway, I wouldn't get ceramics if you plan on or have the possibility of a bunch of track days, b/c the rotors are huge money to replace. I felt my 997S was more 'lively' and braking feel was improved with ceramics, when I compared my car against the standard brakes but not worth the drawbacks for a track used car (cost and extra care changing wheels).
Agreed. I am always tempted by PCCBs, but never pull the trigger. I just like the idea of washing the wheels less, ha.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

I'm lazy too so I don't blame you
Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good info Chris, thanks. As you say, using your knees to keep yourself braced isn't optimal; I've done that too with the original seats in my 996 which is why I changed them out at the time for the Euro GT3 seats. Never had the problem, of course with the sport buckets and harness in the 997. After having sat in the *** and played with the adjustable bolsters I doubt they would make a big difference, so as I said, I'm likely to get the free seats and upgrade when the buckets can be had.

Speaking of weight, I can't remember if I posted the numbers I have on the seats nor can I remember where I got them from but I did write them down. No guarantee on accuracy as I haven't personally confirmed them but FWIW:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128 lbs
Sport Plus Seats 97.2 lbs
GT2 Style Sport Buckets 78 lbs

And, yeah, we most definitely find ways to justify what we really want to do!
you guys (frayed) skipping sport chrono? Didn't have it on my last one, plan to skip again. Looks better this time around, looks great without it too.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

yeah skipping chrono b/c I think it only has a stopwatch function? Not a fan of the wart
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
yeah skipping chrono b/c I think it only has a stopwatch function? Not a fan of the wart
appears so, same as last gen. $400 towards some other sh*t....

Quick Reply: GT3 Allocation Available at Porsche of Monterey