Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 02:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Happy for you that you're getting the transmission you want but trust me it will be nothing like a Cup car. My Cup car sequential is far more challeging and engaging to drive properly than the manual in my RS. A Cup car sequential is about as far from a manual in operation and skill required as a manual is from PDK. Sorry, but this is the truth.
I agree with you thoroughly. Sequential shifter in a 2009 GT3 Cup I drove as well as 2007 (?) GT3 RSR were the best, most exciting manual transmission experiecnce I've ever had. What I learned is that it's all about the timing of the pedals and the gear selection, not so much about the gates for me.

I so wish there was a way to bring some of this experience into a street car, even if it is impossible to have that transmission in a street car for all the obvious reasons, and have discussed it with Porsche engineers. Turns out, some of them have tried the aftermarket sequential conversion systems...

pete
Old 05-28-2013 | 03:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
I agree with you thoroughly. Sequential shifter in a 2009 GT3 Cup I drove as well as 2007 (?) GT3 RSR were the best, most exciting manual transmission experiecnce I've ever had. What I learned is that it's all about the timing of the pedals and the gear selection, not so much about the gates for me.

I so wish there was a way to bring some of this experience into a street car, even if it is impossible to have that transmission in a street car for all the obvious reasons, and have discussed it with Porsche engineers. Turns out, some of them have tried the aftermarket sequential conversion systems...

pete
This is the closest thing you can get for the street, which BTW has three pedals.....

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/ruf-ctr3-clubsport-en.htm
Old 05-28-2013 | 03:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

RGT 8
Old 05-28-2013 | 05:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Yes..fully agree..by all criticism towards Porsche because 991 GT3, 918, Macan or whatever - they are still not like BMW (luckily). As you pointed out correctly..no BMW at track events..40 years ago they started with it with the 2002 turbo and the later the M series.

I always hoped/wished, Porsche would never become like BMW (just remember that idiot Chris Bangle and his hippie BMW design)..but they are taking the direction a bit of BMW..lets see..

PS: I could have had a new 3 series..I refused it by all means and chose an Audi instead..for me BMW "died" already in the late 90s..
Agree, BMW bit the dust from an enthusiast standpoint in the early 2000's (I had a 2000 e39M which I actually still miss dearly), they no longer make drivers cars or at least have relegated the drivers to the 1 series I guess.

I actually like and owned a 2003 7 series, and did like the 6 series and E60 5 series. They were just maintenance nightmares out of warranty so they didn't stick. I was OK with bangle's early redesigns. I absolutely cannot stand the latest bland non emotion stirring designs. They incite as much emotion as a Camry. Maybe less.

Originally Posted by Nick
No, I am not agreeing with you. The difference in the cost of the cars weighs heavily in determining whether to track it especially among a substantially cheaper cars. However, I would be more willing to do so if it was a Ferrari only event.

Your claim that Ferrari owners are novices and barely competent drivers is far from true. A substantial number have a wealth of experience doing track events.
Ok you may not agree, but you still proved my point.

I did not say all Ferrari drivers, Rad is by far the best I've seen, but a lot of them are poor drivers. Anyone who's serious about driving is not likely at the track in their Ferrari if they own one (unless it's a challenge car, and some of those guys are slower than intermediate drivers).

I did not say all (I did say most though). Because the advanced level drivers will be in something else and if they weren't they would be paying out the wazoo for repairs like Rad.

My points are still valid, and there is plenty of evidence to support it. Unfortunately you cannot counter that with your own videos in your Ferrari because you, like most other Ferrari owners who may track regularly, made the wise decision to do it in something OTHER than the Ferrari.
Old 05-28-2013 | 06:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I do not own a Ferrari now. I decided to go back to Porsche. I miss tracking (As I indicated earlier there is a substantially difference in tracking a $250,000 car and one under $100,000). Bought 997.2 TT Cab (my wife wanted it) drove it for a year and I found it numbing. My wife wanted a Boxster so she bought a Boxster S. A fabulous handing car though under powered for my taste. Decided to buy the 991GT3.

When it comes to driving skills, the best drivers can be found on the internet. Just ask THEM. As for me I am nothing more than a competent driver and fully understand and appreciate my limitations.

A video in a car is of little value in determining the drivers ability because there are too many variables to factor in determining if the driver is any good.
Old 05-28-2013 | 07:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
This is the closest thing you can get for the street, which BTW has three pedals.....

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/ruf-ctr3-clubsport-en.htm
Yep, drove a CTR3 a couple of years ago. Not close enough for me to GT3 Cup on the transmission front—maybe because it wasn't in a race car? Somehow, the transmission concept just didn't work for me "out there" on the road. Input required was too severe against other control inputs to be pleasurable, which really made me appreciate why Porsche (and other manufacturers) put so much work into that. Having to use major input on the shifter and then using fine input with the wheel and brake pedal was alien to me on the road. I suspect that, if you owned it, you would get used to it, however. I also understand they've built two CTR3s with different transmissions now: one H-pattern manual and one PDK. I don't know which way I'd go.

CTR3 is a stunning car, and by far the best twin-turbo flat six I have tried. Just an amazing, amazing engine...for its character as much as for its performance. Was hard to learn much more about it a short drive. Like a CGT, not a car you just get into and hammer.

pete

Last edited by stout; 05-29-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011