Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What do Ferrari, Lambo and McLaren have in common that differs from Porsche and the rest of the cars you listed?

When I owned Porsche's I track them regularly. Once I started buying Ferrari's, I did not track them even though Ferrari warranty covered track events. Ferrari owners often are former Porsche owners. THey know how to drive and track cars.

Think man think!

Are you not aware that you are agreeing with me?

You didn't even see fit to track your Ferrari. Because the mindset of owning a Ferrari is not the same as the mindset of owning a GT3. Same goes for Lambo and McLaren. A few brave souls will run them hard, but absolutely NOTHING LIKE THE GT3 that you will see everywhere at the track all the time........

Cannot see how this is not sinking in. Buy GT3, inspired to track, buy Ferrari, inspired to sit in garage and valet. Two totally different mindsets.

THAT is what is different about the Lambo Ferrari and Mclaren from the cars I mentioned. You do not see them at the track regularly because people aren't thinking about getting them to the track as soon as possible.

That is why what is optioned on a Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren is irrelevant to what needs to be on a 911 GT3. They are mostly bought for two different purposes, as you so kindly demonstrated yourself.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ever since BMW went all automated, you hardly see them at the track much where they used to be a dominant force at most track days....
Say what? BMW is one of the few manufacturers still offering manuals on their top-level cars (M-Series), which BTW account for 20-25% of sales and which they will continue to produce as long as there's demand per BMW executives.

BMW and Corvette are two most represented brands after Porsche at mixed track days I attend. Both provide the option of manuals in their top level offerings, apparently unlike Porsche going forward.....
Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You didn't even see fit to track your Ferrari. Because the mindset of owning a Ferrari is not the same as the mindset of owning a GT3. Same goes for Lambo and McLaren. A few brave souls will run them hard, but absolutely NOTHING LIKE THE GT3 that you will see everywhere at the track all the time........

Cannot see how this is not sinking in. Buy GT3, inspired to track, buy Ferrari, inspired to sit in garage and valet. Two totally different mindsets.

THAT is what is different about the Lambo Ferrari and Mclaren from the cars I mentioned. You do not see them at the track regularly because people aren't thinking about getting them to the track as soon as possible.

That is why what is optioned on a Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren is irrelevant to what needs to be on a 911 GT3. They are mostly bought for two different purposes, as you so kindly demonstrated yourself.
Exactly!!! and whats worse is that Porsche have always had a car to compete for this market, the turbo!!! its always been the car compared to these others... They should have just juiced up the turbo some more, shoved the PDK-S into it and left the GT cars catering for the unique market they were originally launched for.

The moto for the next GT cars should have been "If you can't party with the big boys, don't show up", just like their predecessors... not "so advanced we've now made it child's play"....
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Not Sad, at least certainly, not to me.

Tis part of what makes Rennlist...well entertaining...a ribald, slugfest of opinion difference. (<- koolaid?)

As long as we don't get personal...all is good.

We are afterall a passionate bunch of petrolheads....and that by my reckoning...in this day and age ain't too bad at all....
yes..fully agree Bill..
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
'collector is on to something.

I have 4 Germans that work for me. 3 with PhD's. 1 of them 6'7", or I jokingly state, 3 meters. Have traveled quite a bit around Germany recently and met with the head legal team at BMW Munich and Beiersdorf in Hamburg. I've had a crash course in 'dealing with Germans' in 24 months. It's been fun and frustrating.

I've also had similar experiences with the Chinese, and now have a Chinese lawyer on staff.

Growing up in the US, I've learned the hard way that cultural divides play heavily in interpreting statements/behaviour.

My take on AP is that he really is an enthusiast and believes that the new PDK is the best of its kind. That doesn't mean he doesn't prefer the analogue feel of the 4.0. I've perhaps had too much vino this evening but when citing the involvement of the PDK transmission, he leaned on item such as hearing the boom of the upshifts in the black forest (or somesuch) and the 'near' sequential feel. The comments were more in a vacuum than in direct comparison to his experience in the 4.0.

Interesting that he chose more abstract comparisons than in direct relation to the king.

IMO.
Interesting post..dont really get what youre trying to say ...but it doesnt matter. The story of the 4.0 and Mr Hatz, just wanted to say that even he realised that it marks the end of a special era...and thats why he bought the car. Probably also knowing that it wont loose much value.

The 991 GT3 is a totally different car - its not in the logical sequence of 996-997GT3. Hey, I work with some chinese, germans too..and be aware that I like the US a lot..otherwise I wouldnt be here either.

all the best,

PS: still wanna know why Im am "on to something"..- compared to other users here. Again, Im not against PdK in the 991 GT3..its faster I know that - but Porsche should have offered both - and Porsche must put into a GT3 an engine directly being based on the race car...thats all I said
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Say what? BMW is one of the few manufacturers still offering manuals on their top-level cars (M-Series), which BTW account for 20-25% of sales and which they will continue to produce as long as there's demand per BMW executives.

BMW and Corvette are two most represented brands after Porsche at mixed track days I attend. Both provide the option of manuals in their top level offerings, apparently unlike Porsche going forward.....
By far, the most BMW's you see at track days are e30, e36, e46. The e90 e92 has a decent amount and those were a big majority manuals. I started tracking in a M. But the BMWs have gotten too fat and unreliable. The 335i was horrible on track with lots of issues. Not many even bothered with the m5 and m6 as that first paddle shift tranny was aweful for the track.

My point is that you just dont see many of the newer bmw's at the track. Certainly not compared to the older models. BMW at one time I would say had a bigger track presence than Porsche. They have fallen well off the wagon in that regard.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents.

Ever since I had my 04 gt3 I always hoped that Porsche would someday put the sequential gear box in the road car. To ME that was what would make the road car closer to the cup car.

If Porsche only offered a manual, again for this 991 model I would have been disappointed.

In short I want my gt3 road car to be/feel as close to the cup car as possible. And I think the pdk-s gets me there more than a normal manual would, and I'm glad Porsche chose that route.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Fair call RR... Nobody is against the PDK-S box in the car as long as the manual remained an option for us die hards...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

My point is that you just dont see many of the newer bmw's at the track. Certainly not compared to the older models. BMW at one time I would say had a bigger track presence than Porsche. They have fallen well off the wagon in that regard.
And FWIW, I NEVER see the automatic-only marks like Ferrari, Lambo, and McLaren at track events. Maybe they only like to play with their own.

Actually I take that back. I did attend a Lambo-sponsored driving event at Buddh F! circuit in India. Lots of cameras, refreshments, and grid girls; not much driving going on other than hired gun taking customers for rides. Guess we have that to look forward to...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
My 2 cents.

Ever since I had my 04 gt3 I always hoped that Porsche would someday put the sequential gear box in the road car. To ME that was what would make the road car closer to the cup car.

If Porsche only offered a manual, again for this 991 model I would have been disappointed.

In short I want my gt3 road car to be/feel as close to the cup car as possible. And I think the pdk-s gets me there more than a normal manual would, and I'm glad Porsche chose that route.
Happy for you that you're getting the transmission you want but trust me it will be nothing like a Cup car. My Cup car sequential is far more challeging and engaging to drive properly than the manual in my RS. A Cup car sequential is about as far from a manual in operation and skill required as a manual is from PDK. Sorry, but this is the truth.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
My 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Happy for you that you're getting the transmission you want but trust me it will be nothing like a Cup car. My Cup car sequential is far more challeging and engaging to drive properly than the manual in my RS. A Cup car sequential is about as far from a manual in operation and skill required as a manual is from PDK. Sorry, but this is the truth.
In 04 the cups car were manual. It's to bad they still aren't.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

No, I am not agreeing with you. The difference in the cost of the cars weighs heavily in determining whether to track it especially among a substantially cheaper cars. However, I would be more willing to do so if it was a Ferrari only event.

Your claim that Ferrari owners are novices and barely competent drivers is far from true. A substantial number have a wealth of experience doing track events.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
No, I am not agreeing with you. The difference in the cost of the cars weighs heavily in determining whether to track it especially among a substantially cheaper cars. However, I would be more willing to do so if it was a Ferrari only event.

Your claim that Ferrari owners are novices and barely competent drivers is far from true. A substantial number have a wealth of experience doing track events.
The only ones I see mostly wear full race suits flying Ferrari colors and get upset when I go by them in a Cayenne Turbo. Haven't seen a well driven Ferrari ever unless it was during a ALMS race.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The only ones I see mostly wear full race suits flying Ferrari colors and get upset when I go by them in a Cayenne Turbo. Haven't seen a well driven Ferrari ever unless it was during a ALMS race.
I cannot respond to a claim that a Cayenne Turbo out tracks Ferrari's and that you have never seen a well driven Ferrari.The bias against Ferrari's and owners is all too obvious.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

By far, the most BMW's you see at track days are e30, e36, e46. The e90 e92 has a decent amount and those were a big majority manuals. I started tracking in a M. But the BMWs have gotten too fat and unreliable. The 335i was horrible on track with lots of issues. Not many even bothered with the m5 and m6 as that first paddle shift tranny was aweful for the track.

Yes..fully agree..by all criticism towards Porsche because 991 GT3, 918, Macan or whatever - they are still not like BMW (luckily). As you pointed out correctly..no BMW at track events..40 years ago they started with it with the 2002 turbo and the later the M series.

I always hoped/wished, Porsche would never become like BMW (just remember that idiot Chris Bangle and his hippie BMW design)..but they are taking the direction a bit of BMW..lets see..

PS: I could have had a new 3 series..I refused it by all means and chose an Audi instead..for me BMW "died" already in the late 90s..

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011