Sponsored by:

RWS by the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I had this on a Prelude in London, back in 91....RWS is not a new concept.
I specifically recall the commerical. was the RWS deselectable?

BTW I think RWS is coming to the Carrera next.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Honda RWS has been discussed on this forum ever since it was announced in the GT3. I personally have no experience with the old Honda system besides what I've read and it is not the same. That's an antiquated system that didn't last.
What caught my attention in the 2014 Acura RLX is that is using a RWS system similar to the new GT3,except 1.8 degrees wheel movement instead of 1.5 and that it is designed to work with an AWD set up.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

yeah but acura has the "SUper DUper Handling AWS"
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
How will RWS affect tire wear?

Currently the typical starting point for track alignment is -2.5 front zero toe and -2 rear 2mm toe in per side as a rule of thumb. How will RWS change alignment for track driving?
This is a pretty good question.
1. I'm not sure that the front toe will have to be changed in order to facilitate turn-in as the RWS will take care of that. It will be interesting to see what adjustments are necessary once these cars get tracked.
2. I expect the usual camber issues will be the same F&R so an increase there will probably be necessary for the higher cornering G's on tracks.
3. Rear toe is really the big issue here IMO. My understanding is that the RWS eliminates the need for rear toe which should increase the life of the rear tires considerably.
I am not sure what the diff/RWS will do, if anything, to increase stability under heavy braking. It's interesting that the Acura system "In high-speed braking, each rear wheel angles inward, increasing braking ability and stability"
Mike do you know how the Porsche RWS system handles this issue?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see the future…

There will be a app that come with your car called "hot lap". You simply drive to a track, launch the app, and the program will drive your car around the track fast (using GPS) while you sit in the car and enjoy the ride. No more warranty issues, no safety issues, etc. etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I am not sure what the diff/RWS will do, if anything, to increase stability under heavy braking. It's interesting that the Acura system "In high-speed braking, each rear wheel angles inward, increasing braking ability and stability"
Mike do you know how the Porsche RWS system handles this issue?
Leigh2, I can only say that in all the reviews and Porsche descriptive literature I've read re: RWS, there is no mention about the rear wheels angling inward under braking. Maybe Porsche doesn't feel "stability" under braking is a problem with their setup.

As we know, under 50kph the rear wheels turn counter to front steering input up to 1.5 degrees and over 80kph they turn in the same direction as the front wheels up to 1.5 degrees ("harmonized" in Porsche marketing speak). What may be less commonly known is that between 50kph and 80kph there is a continuous transition between RW counter steering and harmonized steering depending on the driving situation. But no angling inward under braking, AFAIK.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by texasviany
I can see the future…

There will be a app that come with your car called "hot lap". You simply drive to a track, launch the app, and the program will drive your car around the track fast (using GPS) while you sit in the car and enjoy the ride. No more warranty issues, no safety issues, etc. etc.
I dont think thats far off.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick real life RWS and PCCB experience to share:

I took delivery of a 991 Turbo S Thursday, took it to the track Saturday (by the time I got to the track, it had 114 miles, which was good enough for breaking in, I hope). Since this is a GT3 thread, I won't bother you with Turbo specific heart pounding experience events but the RWS, while indeed imperceptible, was clearly making the car turn in much easier, especially in moderately fast (80+) mph min speed) sweepers. Initially, I consistently turned in a tad too soon, which I can only contribute to RWS, as I was using my usual turn in points in a track I have run extensively. Once I adjusted, it was so sweet. My min speed was a few mph faster but it is difficult to say if this was just RWS because I moved form a C4S to Turbo S, which obviously differ in power and weight as well as more torque percentage now being delivered to the fronts on the Turbo. Same tires on both cars, Pirelli P Zeros. My point is that RWS will make a noticeable difference in turning. You can still overcook a turn (ask me how I know).

The PCCB are likewise as we have read all along, remarkable. I initially used earlier breaking points as the Turbo was a lot faster but at the end of the day, I was using the SAME breaking points. Nothing short of amazing. Zero fade but it was 69 degrees. I'm still looking for the 380 mm steel rotor swap because of cost or replacing ceramic rotors, as I track a lot.

Just wanted to share. I'm not claiming expertise, just what I noticed.

Last edited by SamFromTX; 11-03-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

One of the problems is that a lot of this is just bench racing until the car is delivered and driven on the track.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hats off to Sam for not wasting any time. Glad you are enjoying the new car.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great to hear, would you be willing to post a write-up regarding the other aspects of the car in the 991TT section? A lot of us are waiting for ours w/ bated breath.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Just a quick real life RWS and PCCB experience to share:

I took delivery of a 991 Turbo S Thursday, took it to the track Saturday (by the time I got to the track, it had 114 miles, which was good enough for breaking in, I hope). Since this is a GT3 thread, I won't bother you with Turbo specific heart pounding experience events but the RWS, while indeed imperceptible, was clearly making the car turn in much easier, especially in moderately fast (80+) mph min speed) sweepers. Initially, I consistently turned in a tad too soon, which I can only contribute to RWS, as I was using my usual turn in points in a track I have run extensively. Once I adjusted, it was so sweet. My min speed was a few mph faster but it is difficult to say if this was just RWS because I moved form a C4S to Turbo S, which obviously differ in power and weight as well as more torque percentage now being delivered to the fronts on the Turbo. Same tires on both cars, Pirelli P Zeros. My point is that RWS will make a noticeable difference in turning. You can still overcook a turn (ask me how I know).

The PCCB are likewise as we have read all along, remarkable. I initially used earlier breaking points as the Turbo was a lot faster but at the end of the day, I was using the SAME breaking points. Nothing short of amazing. Zero fade but it was 69 degrees. I'm still looking for the 380 mm steel rotor swap because of cost or replacing ceramic rotors, as I track a lot.

Just wanted to share. I'm not claiming expertise, just what I noticed.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Great to hear, would you be willing to post a write-up regarding the other aspects of the car in the 991TT section? A lot of us are waiting for ours w/ bated breath.
Would love to, can you send me a link to the section? I tried to look for it but failed (not very tech savy). I have lots to share.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Would love to, can you send me a link to the section? I tried to look for it but failed (not very tech savy). I have lots to share.
Great! Check your PM please Sam, it's in the turbo section just below the water cooled.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to the 991 Turbo forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Quick Reply: RWS by the numbers