Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome the new 991 GT2.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Correct. Not much to be done on weight department. I have been focused on aero for the last year. I have been finding a good balance with aero bits, and i'm just finalizing my last mod. The goal with the car is a good DD but great canyon car and very capable track car ( I find tracks boring after a few times). My times at LS are 1:37s in traffic( this was this past Feb, with my alignment way off, according to TCD) , and thill 1:55's in traffic.. With my new front splitter revised i'm hoping to shave a 1 second from both. We shall see April 27th at thill !

p.s. yes on light battery already. I have the Porsche bolt on rear cage.
Tony C certainly knows a thing or two about 996 and 997 alignment. Of course, what he calls "way off" might not very important to a GT3 and much less of an issue in a turbo. In any case, I suggest you retain his services to replace the factory bolt-in with a real safety cage at some point. If you've got the Tequipment bar, it's just not what I'd call safe, especially at the times you're quoting. 55's at Thunderhill requires some considerable pace. If you can get under 2:00 minutes flat, your apex speeds mean an off can be an unsurvivable event. 130mph in T1 with nothing good if you put two off. 110mph through T8 and the crest of T9 both present "do or die" risk levels.

Assuming you're on Hoosiers and you've already improved the suspension with spherical joints, there's not a lot more to do for handling except a Guard diff, which will surely give you the second or two you're looking for. You're not spending any significant time at aero speeds when the car is changing direction, so unless you're installing magnesium skirts and a suction fan in the floorpan, the most aero improvements could do is reduce drag or maybe plant the rear for braking and stability through the longer radius turns. Some say canards and increasing the AOA of the wing improves the turn in and line holding. It's something I've got on my short list of tinkering.

I'd suggest your next step is safety gear, then brakes will take off a second at each of the three local tracks.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Tony C certainly knows a thing or two about 996 and 997 alignment. Of course, what he calls "way off" might not very important to a GT3 and much less of an issue in a turbo. In any case, I suggest you retain his services to replace the factory bolt-in with a real safety cage at some point. If you've got the Tequipment bar, it's just not what I'd call safe, especially at the times you're quoting. 55's at Thunderhill requires some considerable pace. If you can get under 2:00 minutes flat, your apex speeds mean an off can be an unsurvivable event. 130mph in T1 with nothing good if you put two off. 110mph through T8 and the crest of T9 both present "do or die" risk levels.

Assuming you're on Hoosiers and you've already improved the suspension with spherical joints, there's not a lot more to do for handling except a Guard diff, which will surely give you the second or two you're looking for. You're not spending any significant time at aero speeds when the car is changing direction, so unless you're installing magnesium skirts and a suction fan in the floorpan, the most aero improvements could do is reduce drag or maybe plant the rear for braking and stability through the longer radius turns. Some say canards and increasing the AOA of the wing improves the turn in and line holding. It's something I've got on my short list of tinkering.

I'd suggest your next step is safety gear, then brakes will take off a second at each of the three local tracks.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah Tony knows his stuff. This is the alignment specs my car had. I took it to him after LS as my car was having issues putting the power down coming out of the apex. I could not put the power down without the backend wanting to kill me. I typically like over steer but this was uncontrollable oversteer and when I knew the rear had more grip.

That said. I'm working in fine tuning my front splitter. I already have a gurney flap for the rear, some side aero that goes on the fender's and quarter panels, ( like what the mp1 / zr1 / 991 gt3 cup car etc) ...

I would do a full welded in cage, as I'm afraid to go faster myself. I do hold back because i do not have a 6 point in the car as well. BUT I have to keep it consistent to my end goal of the car. I'm not looking for ONLY track dutty. I find tracks rather boring after a few track days. If I were looking for track only, I would weld in a cage. BUT I want a car that I can take up how 9 /skyline / hwy 19 / hwy 1 etc... take the wife, put on my roof rack and go biking in the middle of no where with my fav car / bike and people.... so I compromise a bit. Plus I only go to a track about 3 to 4 times a year.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I'd also suggest a Guard diff.
Fresh aftermarket dampers go a long way to making a car compliant and livable on the road while controlling the weight and lasting all day on track.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I'd also suggest a Guard diff.
Fresh aftermarket dampers go a long way to making a car compliant and livable on the road while controlling the weight and lasting all day on track.
I'm planning on taking my car to sharky for the water coolant lines soon. Can you give me more info on the guard's diff ? What split ratio have you tried / heard is good etc. I have KW CS suspension with most goodies (adj control arms / dog bones. toe links etc)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I'd defer to Matt @ Guard Transmission -- he will have the facts for your car and your driving.

Alex can advise on tweaks, too. I imagine you know he used to have a half-way decent turbo.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I typically like over steer but this was uncontrollable oversteer and when I knew the rear had more grip. As I'm afraid to go faster myself. I do hold back because i do not have a 6 point in the car as well. BUT I have to keep it consistent to my end goal of the car. I'm not looking for ONLY track dutty. I find tracks rather boring after a few track days.
F1Crazydriver.
You're no F1driver, but you are crazy.
CGT seems to think you know how to get around a track, good enough for me.

At LEAST put a LSD, 6 points, decent seats and a proper (welded) roll bar in or wifey might go biking alone one day..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I'd defer to Matt @ Guard Transmission -- he will have the facts for your car and your driving.

Alex can advise on tweaks, too. I imagine you know he used to have a half-way decent turbo.
Thank you. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
F1Crazydriver.
You're no F1driver, but you are crazy.
CGT seems to think you know how to get around a track, good enough for me.

At LEAST put a LSD, 6 points, decent seats and a proper (welded) roll bar in or wifey might go biking alone one day..
I'll see what Matt suggest for an LSD for my usage with the car. I have the GT3 bucket seats. Hm seems like I have to slow down at the track or weld on a cage/6spoint.... I should really just get a track ready car..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Ok your seats are not terrible but get Hans, harness and roll bar.
Don't need a race car unless that's how you will justify it go wifey :thunbup:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Ok your seats are not terrible but get Hans, harness and roll bar.
Don't need a race car unless that's how you will justify it go wifey :thunbup:
Pete is convincing me on the Camaro.... so that maybe the "race car" to convince the wife.

For the naysayers.. I probably don't have the skill set but using the virtual best lap from harry's lap timer... here is what a 996T with suspension mods, and only a ecu flash can do at LS with someone that can extract the best out of the car...so in conclusion, turbos are NOT slow.

This is a 460 hp Turbo. A near 600 hp turbo car with pdk and if the turbo is equipped with a like of KW CS suspension like my car, and sticky tires 1:33's or lower.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 04-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: What do we know about the 991TTT?