Sponsored by:

No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
U.S. owner's manual states that track use not covered under warranty.
What..you must be kidding..can you provide some proof of that? I mean now Porsche really upgraded ther 991 engine so much that its becoming a track engine..or getting there..,and then they write in the manual.."no track use"..hey, after all this is a GT3. 2 years ago they were laughing about he Nissan GTR...and now...

If today was 1st of April..I would say.."April fools day"
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^It has been like that for years, has nothing to do with upgrading the engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
^It has been like that for years, has nothing to do with upgrading the engine.
Hang on..your are telling me that any issue arising on the race track with 996, 997 GT3s etc has always been refused?

Not the case in Europe...its the first time I hear this..thats why Im asking for the exact quote from the user manual..either 997 GT3 or 991 GT3...wouldnt matter..

I knew cases where Porsche replaced completely overrevved engines for free..to its owners..but they were very very good customers..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Purely a marketing gimmick. Track use instantly voids warranty.
Not really, a PDK is still faster around the track.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Not really, a PDK is still faster around the track.
So is it only about going faster?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

^^No.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Hang on..your are telling me that any issue arising on the race track with 996, 997 GT3s etc has always been refused?

Not the case in Europe...its the first time I hear this..thats why Im asking for the exact quote from the user manual..either 997 GT3 or 991 GT3...wouldnt matter..

I knew cases where Porsche replaced completely overrevved engines for free..to its owners..but they were very very good customers..
The exact quote from the warranty booklet is: "Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the new car limited warranty."

Also, from the owner's manual: "The fitting of racing tires (e.g. slicks) for sporting events is not approved by Porsche. Very high cornering speeds can be achieved with racing tires. However, the resulting transverse acceleration values would jeopardize the adequate supply of oil to the engine. Porsche therefore will not accept any warranty or accept any liability for damage occurring as a result of non-compliance with this provision."

None of this is new. However, depending on the dealer and your relationship with them, this language may be overlooked.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
It's a sad day for Porsche, and for those who love them, when you can still get a stick in a Boxster/S, Cayman/S, Panamera, Cayenne and 991/991S...but not a 991 "GT3"!

A damn shame, and on the heels of the centerlock fiasco, it seems that they're really just VWs now - volume uber alles with accountants & lawyers calling the shots.

Therefore I plan to keep my beloved Luddite Edition '3 for good, switch to 5-lug, and if the Mezger gives out one day it'll go to Sharkwerks for an 8,800 RPM redline/500 HP 3.9.
+991

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
GT3s are all about going to the track. On a track a PDK is faster.
On a track the length of the Nordschleife, sure. On a regular track of, say, 2.5 miles? I seriously doubt it except in the hands of a novice.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The exact quote from the warranty booklet is: "Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the new car limited warranty."

Also, from the owner's manual: "The fitting of racing tires (e.g. slicks) for sporting events is not approved by Porsche. Very high cornering speeds can be achieved with racing tires. However, the resulting transverse acceleration values would jeopardize the adequate supply of oil to the engine. Porsche therefore will not accept any warranty or accept any liability for damage occurring as a result of non-compliance with this provision."

None of this is new. However, depending on the dealer and your relationship with them, this language may be overlooked.
Thanks..so this is the quote from the new 991 GT3 owners manual? What you quote is the 997.2 or 991 owners manual..if Im not mistaken..or?

Anyway, whatever is written there...the car will have to battle itself on the track..not by arguing with lawyers in the showroom..

all the best,
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+991

On a track the length of the Nordschleife, sure. On a regular track of, say, 2.5 miles? I seriously doubt it except in the hands of a novice.
I think when the 997.2 PDk came out..Porsche officially claimed the time gain from PdK to manual with around 1.2-1.5 seconds on their Leipzig race track. But dont nail me down on the numbers..somebody else might have to confirm it again..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks..so this is the quote from the new 991 GT3 owners manual? What you quote is the 997.2 or 991 owners manual..if Im not mistaken..or?

Anyway, whatever is written there...the car will have to battle itself on the track..not by arguing with lawyers in the showroom..

all the best,
Andreas, this language (or similar) has been in the manual of every Porsche I've owned. It was, in fact taken from my 997.2 S manual, not a GT3. A US GT3 owner can confirm if it's present in his/her manual or warranty book; I'd be surprised if it is not.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

I think when the 997.2 PDk came out..Porsche officially claimed the time gain from PdK to manual with around 1.2-1.5 seconds on their Leipzig race track. But dont nail me down on the numbers..somebody else might have to confirm it again..
Could be. But realize that the 997.2 has a sloppy box and a sloppier clutch and flywheel. The GT3 has neither, and I would suspect the "difference" on an average track would be less than a second with a skilled driver. JMHO.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Andreas, this language (or similar) has been in the manual of every Porsche I've owned. It was, in fact taken from my 997.2 S manual, not a GT3. A GT3 owner can confirm if it's present in his/her manual or warranty book; I'd be surprised if it is not.
Well..mine doesnt have these words..certainly not the first paragraph. But I dont own a US Spec GT3 or GT2..so dont know if these are different between US and EU.

Thanks anyway..hope you will order it soon so you can give us some feedback..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Could be. But realize that the 997.2 has a sloppy box and a sloppier clutch and flywheel. The GT3 has neither, and I would suspect the "difference" on an average track would be less than a second with a skilled driver. JMHO.
the difference was measured by the factory drivers. In fact many people may ask..why is the difference not bigger?. In the 997 the PdK carried around 30Kg more..thats what "slows it down" again..yes the shifting is faster...but carrying the extra weight penalises again....
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche.collector, the other guys are correct. Some/many dealers look the other way but tracking is strictly forbidden as far as warranty is concerned in the US.

Just as an example, my buddy's 997 GT3 was having a transmission issue and was taken to a dealer under CPO warranty. Porsche denied coverage because they "researched" online and found his name on the online registration list of a DE event. This is not the only example of US GT3 owners running into problems.

OTOH, it's true and fair for Porsche to not want to fix for free what you broke on the track (by screwing up, that is, not just parts breaking).

Quick Reply: No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.