Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled my GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Wangracing
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are OK and your partner is on track for a full recovery. Do you actually know what your alignment settings are? Your toe settings are more critical for straight line stability than camber. Toe out on the rear and it can be twitchy AF. Toe in will keep the rear end tracking straight and stable. It seems unusual. I have had mine over a variety of surfaces with nothing like that happening.
Old 07-17-2024, 07:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

glad you are ok and hope fiancé get well quicklcy

my OPINION: Cup are the absolute worse rubber made. very temperamental. I hate it on road and I loathe it on track.

my GUESS:
you rear toe may be off. camber will not cause what u described. most of my cars have over -3 deg of camber
TC programming went nuts?

The following users liked this post:
konrad h1 (Yesterday)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,467 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by arowden86
I'd be happy if that were the case. I just can't think of anything I did wrong. I was going straight. The car should go in a straight line with PSM and TC on when it's dry, even if the tires were cold. I'm actually afraid to drive fast now because I don't think I did anything wrong. All I can think of is for some reason those Cup 2 tires hated the grooved surface. I can't believe the amount of grip they'd lose on it. They should be at least as good as a normal tire on a rough surface, but they weren't. It was like being on ice. I remember before merging on the highway, I hit it through first and second gear and it didn't spin at all in either gear.
Then I would say it's got to be alignment - as I mentioned the toe setting in particular . Even a fractional difference in toe makes a pretty massive difference in oversteer... for instance I added -0.5mm of total front toe out and it made a pretty obvious change. If your toe settings were way out of wack (front or rear) then that could do it. I don't think camber would cause that kind of instability.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you okay, could have been much worse if there were cars in those lanes. Yeah, alignment, temperamental tires, transitioning surface and acceleration all made it unpredictable.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,551 Likes on 5,070 Posts

Originally Posted by arowden86
I consider myself to be a pretty experienced driver. I've been racing cars/karts for over 20 years. I had my 2018 GT3 for 2 years and generally thought it was super predictable, always went exactly where I wanted it to go, but it never did well on certain surfaces. I live in Las Vegas, we have a grooved concrete highway. First time on this freeway I was trying to change lanes at ~30mph with TC off, gave it 1/2 throttle in 2nd gear and it just went completely sideways unexpectedly almost into the side of a semi truck. I was barely able to save it as it was totally unexpected. After this, I always left TC on when driving on that freeway. I noticed it flashing even over 100mph with new Cup 2 R tires. That seemed to work well enough. Then a few nights ago I was getting on the freeway, going straight, TC on, going about 90mph, barely accelerating. All the sudden the pavement changed from smooth to groved and the back end was gone, immediately. I've never in my life had a car go sideways with all stability systems on just trying to go in a straight line. I don't know if I over corrected, or if it was that I countersteered while the stability control was also trying to straighten the car out, but it was over corrected and launched the car across 3 lanes into the center wall.

Has anyone had similar experiences in their GT3? I don't know if there was something mechanically wrong with the car or if that surface was just that bad? Do cup 2 rs not work well on groved surfaces? My 800hp M5 in 2wd mode doesn't even have an issue with it. I'm really torn because I loved that car/Porsche in general, but I'm afraid to ever get another one after this experience.

Luckily I was fine, my fiancee got a concussion and is still struggling with memory/word comprehension at times. But she should make a full recovery. I know I was going a little too fast. It's my fault. But I'm just trying to figure out what actually happened/if anyone else has had a similar experience. Even at the track with stability control on I couldn't get the car out of shape. Just blows my mind that it happened going in a straight line.
You were going 90 mph?

On a public road?

Anyways, glad you're ok.
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 539 Posts

Tires
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Indepth
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
glad you are ok and hope fiancé get well quicklcy

my OPINION: Cup are the absolute worse rubber made. very temperamental. I hate it on road and I loathe it on track.

my GUESS:
you rear toe may be off. camber will not cause what u described. most of my cars have over -3 deg of camber
TC programming went nuts?
Cup 2's are often touted as THE tire for our cars doing mixed street/track duty by most. Curious, what tire do you recommend instead? PS4S?
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
SSMOKE-U
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 73 Posts

These cars aren't known for having traction problems. I can't imagine why the car would lose traction in a straight line at WOT let alone 1/2 throttle and C2R's unless alignment was way off or there was something mechanically wrong suspension/steering wise. Other variable could be slick spot on the road surface and terribly inconvenient timing.
Larry Cable (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

I’m also in Vegas, very sorry to hear about this. I’ve put a lot of miles on all the roads in the area without issue on my Touring. I do know what you mean about our grooved concrete freeways in some areas, they can make the car tend to track the road a bit.

I’m running the Michelin P4S’s.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 931 Likes on 513 Posts

Glad you and your fiance are ok.

I could be barely accelerating at 90 mph in the GT3 1 million times and the described sequence wouldn't happen. If transitioning from pavement to gravel, dirt, and back again, this still wouldn't happen. You are either missing something major as far as your inputs or experienced a catastrophic component failure. Worn Cups also don't explain. Of just about all of the cars in the world, GT3 is the least likely to snap under gradual straight line acceleration at any speed. unless something is broken.
Larry Cable (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

Glad you're OK.
Sounds like there is something unbelievably wrong, 100Mph happens every time I go somewhere around here and often raining.
With SC on, my car has never moved on a public road at any cruising speed.

They are very sensitive to rear tires being uneven, or bad allignment.
jreifler (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You were going 90 mph?

On a public road?

Anyways, glad you're ok.
Don’t know which nanny state you live in, but in Free America 90 mph is legal.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Indepth
Cup 2's are often touted as THE tire for our cars doing mixed street/track duty by most. Curious, what tire do you recommend instead? PS4S?
yes I know it's touted
if you hit rain on street... pray to whatever deity you believe in
if you caught in snow, you will die
if anyone NEEDS cup r on street, you are going way way way too fast.
track.... anything but CR. lap 2-4 great, then you start to degrade.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
Don’t know which nanny state you live in, but in Free America 90 mph is legal.
actually its not. 85 is the highest and thats on one short section of one road. 80mph may be a more common speed limit, but 90 is illegal in texas just as it is in most other states.
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

My 2 un-valuable cents: With the road switch, a small bump made your foot come down harder on the gas pedal, with aggressive turn of the wheel,
the car took off faster than your reflexes.
Those grooves make most cars twitchy

hope you both continue to recuperate.

Quick Reply: Totaled my GT3...