Brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 02:20 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 663 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
What do you mean
I was just joking -- saying doing it manually is "old fashioned".

I personally am trying to teach my son track prep that he can do on his own, so I'm getting one these pressure units for that purpose.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,721 Posts

Also, with the help of a second person, could you completely avoid using bleeder tool and use the pedal? Just have a person pump the brakes and monitor the level in the reservoir?
Just have to be careful not to push the pedal all the way to the floor.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:33 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Just have to be careful not to push the pedal all the way to the floor.
Why would that be a problem?
Old 05-13-2024, 09:00 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Which one did you end up using? I was planning to buy the Motive since it seemed to be the most popular brand, but after reading reviews there seem to be a lot of leaks, and a lot of people recommending to run the Motive dry.

I'm probably going to buy this Smotive Pro from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WT26HZLN&psc=1). The build quality looks better than the Motive and the reviews seem to be much better (the only negative reviews were about the cap not fitting their car). Also comes with a catch bottle.

I have this exact one and bleeding my 991 GT3 and 996 was super easy. Did both last week and highly recommend this unit for $50 on Amazon

SMOTIVEPRO 2L Manual Brake...
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
peterp (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:33 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 663 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by 900fc
I have this exact one and bleeding my 991 GT3 and 996 was super easy. Did both last week and highly recommend this unit for $50 on Amazon

SMOTIVEPRO 2L Manual Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095JYYQ2P...p_mob_ap_share
Glad to hear that's what you used and you are happy with it. I placed the order earlier this morning. Just saw way too many stories about issues with Motive. It seems like Motive is very hit or miss, some love it, but a lot seemed to have issues. If it leaked brake fluid in my pristine frunk, I would be very, very upset .

In the 996 Turbo brake bleeding video below, they used the Motive but do not recommend because they had issues with it leaking. Heidi and Franny have some of the best "how to" videos on the internet. Their videos are longer than most, but not a minute is wasted because everything is covered in detail. Sadly (for us, though good for them), they've stopped doing car "how to's" and are now off on a sailing adventure.

Last edited by peterp; 05-13-2024 at 09:44 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,721 Posts

Why would that be a problem?
I was always warned not to- that it’s possible to move the master cylinder piston too far, when the bleeder is open. Can apparently cause damage.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Someone asked which one I bought, and I believe it was this one. The non-kink fitting is a nice touch as is the wrench for the reservoir.

Amazon brake bleeder Amazon brake bleeder
The following users liked this post:
peterp (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:05 AM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I just replaced my entire brake system with PFC. Used the Motive to bleed. I had to buy a different cap than the one it came with - also worked on my Audi. No issues with pressure but the problem that I don't like is that the cap and the tube turn together. So you have to sort of make sure not to get it to kink when you turn it. I also found the tube likes to kink regardless.

Now I had 3 concerns - not specific to the Motive:

1. I put a lot of fluid in the pressure container as I just wasn't sure how much I was going to need. I wanted to flush the system but I couldn't figure out exactly how much was required for flushing as the prior fluid was also still pretty clear. I was replacing the system so I wanted to get as much new fluid as possible. In any case, when I went to take off the cap, the reservoir was filled to the top! So I had to use a turkey baster to get the rest out.

2. What to do with all the extra fluid?
I poured it in an empty water jug. No auto parts store would take it but fortunately Firestone did.

3. Cleaning the Motive - it says to use Denatured Alcohol. This stuff I got through Amazon. That was the easy part. Now that stuff is very flammable. I wasn't sure what to do with *that* ! I put some in the catch can and in the Motive pressure container and right now its still there. I know I could dump at a hazardous waste place but its of course on the wrong side of town and, ok, I'm lazy.
They say not to keep stuff like this in your garage - but I don't have a choice. On the other hand, my garage is temp controlled.
Anyway, suggestions on where to dump the used alcohol?
Unread Today, 02:27 AM
thatonealex
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put the alcohol in a shallow dish/bowl and leave it outside to evaporate.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush