Sponsored by:

"Missing" options on your GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 03:23 PM
BerlinDaniel
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
Question "Missing" options on your GT3?

I moved from a super specd'd out C4s to a 991.2 GT3 and I'm surprised by the "features" that seem to be missing, for unknown reasons. Foremost is road sign recognition. I didn't realize this was an "option?" I have PDLS, but no road sign recognition. (or I can't figure out how to activate it?) Living in Europe, this is a huge help, especially on the Autobahn where you will see a speed sign once for 30kms and if you miss it, then who knows what the speed is.

As well there is no Bluetooth CarPlay? It has bluetooth, it has CarPlay, but only if I connect via USB, otherwise, it's just a bluetooth media device. Apparently I need a USB wifi adapter...

Another missing feature is auto dimming mirrors? With a GT3 and a rear wing, this feels as if it should be standard because rear drivers lights flash on and off depending on their angle to the wing and my mirror.

And the most curious missing feature, I don't have park distance warning, but I do have a back up camera. I'm not sure why these are separate features? Or is it disabled some where?
---
So the question is, what is the feasibility in adding back a feature, like road sign recognition, as arguably that's the most valuable while driving? I notice the mirrors are different from my C4S and GT3. Would it be a simple matter of replacing the mirror to one which has a sensor for road signs? Is this actually a whole wind screen replacement?
Old 12-25-2023, 04:58 PM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The GT3 doesn't have parking sensors. They look like crap anyway on the cars that have..camera is better in my opinon as you can actually see. Sensors cand fail.
Traffic sign is done by a camera in the windshield and a sw. But I have no Idea what a retrofit consists of.
If these options are important to.you, did you not checked them if available prior purcase?

Anyway, GT3 is about something else than a camera haha.
Enjoy the car to the fullest.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (12-26-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 05:02 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

The point of a GT3 is a track focused car with options removed to reduce weight for better performance.

Surely you already knew that and I’m not telling you anything you didn’t know, so I’m curious why you’re surprised or don’t know why these features are not on the car?
The following 3 users liked this post by ninefiveone:
Larry Cable (12-26-2023), Riptide (12-25-2023), Usering (01-03-2024)
Old 12-25-2023, 05:29 PM
BerlinDaniel
Advanced

The weight of a road sign camera is infinitely less than a cheese burger for lunch. These are not "weight savings". They're presumably upsells. I didn't check because I didn't assume they were separate features, but I didn't test drive it far enough to notice. The Road sign one is really just the one I would feel "mandatory." The others are not a big deal.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:31 PM
marcus1982
Instructor

No, the trafic sign recognition is not standard option even on a 992 carrera.
Larry Cable (12-26-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 05:32 PM
BerlinDaniel
Advanced

Originally Posted by marcus1982
No, the trafic sign recognition is not standard option even on a 992 carrera.
Today I learned.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:33 PM
BerlinDaniel
Advanced

Originally Posted by marcus1982
Enjoy the car to the fullest.
Hard to do on public roads when I'm second guessing myself on speed limits. I'll just be more conservative on speed on the Autobahn then.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:41 PM
marcus1982
Instructor

Originally Posted by BerlinDaniel
Hard to do on public roads when I'm second guessing myself on speed limits. I'll just be more conservative on speed on the Autobahn then.
yeah. Be more cereful on autobahn. Drive it on b roads, where you know for sure what is the limit ant it's more fun. Like road 500 in the black forrest. That was the first drive in mine. I bought it from Germany.
BerlinDaniel (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 05:47 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

If speed limit is critical possibly you could try a GPS app that puts speed limit on screen with CarPlay. Not sure how accurate the apps are in EU but in US Waze works well for that purpose. Enjoy the car for what it is, you will probably forget about the lack of "convenience" options that are missing. If not you could always trade for a turbo in which you can option these features.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:51 PM
marcus1982
Instructor

Depending on traffic, the limit can be variable/restricted from whatever to "no limit/pedal to the metal". Not sure how the app keeps updated.

Last edited by marcus1982; 12-25-2023 at 05:52 PM.
BerlinDaniel (12-26-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 06:14 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Maybe road sign recognition works better in Germany, but it’s awful in the USA if my RS6 is any indication. For example when I had all the nannies turned on, while driving i5 in California my sign recognition would regularly slam on the brakes and slow me down to 55 while in cruise control! Those pesky 55 mph signs for Trucks and cars with trailers….

Really though, I found it irritating and useless. I am able to to get more information from Google maps on my nav, which usually has the posted speed limit and is very accurate at transition zones.
Larry Cable (12-26-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 678 Posts

The weight of a road sign camera is infinitely less than a cheese burger for lunch. These are not "weight savings". They're presumably upsells. I didn't check because I didn't assume they were separate features, but I didn't test drive it far enough to notice. The Road sign one is really just the one I would feel "mandatory." The others are not a big deal.
The weight of each of things all adds up. If it’s not this, it’s that, etc. The GT cars intentionally have less options, and are lighter with less sound deadening material and many less options, because because GT cars about a pure driving experience, and are not luxury cars.

If someone prioritizes just pure power or all the fancy gizmos, there are plenty of other 911 versions to buy.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:18 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

You misunderstand. They are not even available options on a GT3. You can argue whether the weight saving choices they've made are worthwhile, but it helps to understand what you've bought.
The following 2 users liked this post by ninefiveone:
BerlinDaniel (12-26-2023), Larry Cable (12-26-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 07:35 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

Of the missing options you listed, the one Porsche does offer with the GT3 is the dimming mirrors. It does not come standard with the car.
Larry Cable (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 05:43 AM
BerlinDaniel
Advanced

Originally Posted by montoya
Maybe road sign recognition works better in Germany, but it’s awful in the USA if my RS6 is any indication. For example when I had all the nannies turned on, while driving i5 in California my sign recognition would regularly slam on the brakes and slow me down to 55 while in cruise control! Those pesky 55 mph signs for Trucks and cars with trailers….

Really though, I found it irritating and useless. I am able to to get more information from Google maps on my nav, which usually has the posted speed limit and is very accurate at transition zones.
Yea in the USA it's definitely more of a problem, but the EU is pretty standardized on signage and I find It HUGELY helpful. 😞

Quick Reply: "Missing" options on your GT3?