Sponsored by:

Weird Porsche purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 03:53 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Weird Porsche purchase

Might just be over thinking this but its getting a bit annoying. About 7 weeks ago i bought a 911 from a dealer in mid coast Cali, I had never bought
a car without laying eyes on it but the videos checked out etc. We agreed on an “all in” price, contract came over, paid it the next day. Everything went smooth.
Transporter picked up a few days later, 5 days later got the car and it was honestly better than I could of imagined. But now 7 weeks later I still haven’t been able
to get the title and yesterday the transport company called me wanting payment. Huh…? I sent the girl a screen shot of the contract. The salesman has blamed
another of their offices yadda yadda….but its starting to be an issue. Ive never bought a car from California so maybe this is just normal timing? Here in SC
if I have the paperwork they print me a title on the spot at any DMV. Anyhoo, just curious of others experiences. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:01 PM
innout
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I purchased a car recently from So Cal and shipped it to PNW, and had similar experience. The payment for enclosed trailer was requested separately, and I have yet to receive my title/reg as the dealer used a broker (fees paid by me) to get that done. I have no ETA of when I'll see the paperwork. The dealer did ask for signed BOL, which was just done few days ago, so I don't even know when the leadtime starts for the quoted 3-4 weeks.

The car has the old CA plate with active registration sticker. And I have my insurance paper as well as the sales paper, so I hope that's okay while I'm driving around town.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:27 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

Did you purchase from a Porsche dealership or independent?
Old 12-15-2023, 05:31 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

From a dealership. My state allows 45 days from purchase, im a bit beyond that now.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:33 PM
innout
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
From a dealership. My state allows 45 days from purchase, im a bit beyond that now.
dealership for me too
Old 12-15-2023, 05:41 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Since it's from a Porsche dealer, I wouldn't stress too much. I would get them to commit to a timeline on when you will receive the title.

When does your temp registration expire?

It's after the fact now, but next time get them to document when they will send the title. Could be part of the we owe you form.

Where is the pic of your new 911? Congratulations...
Old 12-15-2023, 05:49 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Like i said, it was beyond expectations.

The following 7 users liked this post by Riptide:
BruceT (12-22-2023), Cyclman (12-16-2023), Dervish (12-23-2023), Matrog (12-15-2023), slipaway37 (12-21-2023), Thrownaway (12-16-2023), WhySock (12-16-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:57 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Very nice, love the color.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:23 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Might just be over thinking this but its getting a bit annoying. About 7 weeks ago i bought a 911 from a dealer in mid coast Cali, I had never bought
a car without laying eyes on it but the videos checked out etc. We agreed on an “all in” price, contract came over, paid it the next day. Everything went smooth.
Transporter picked up a few days later, 5 days later got the car and it was honestly better than I could of imagined. But now 7 weeks later I still haven’t been able
to get the title and yesterday the transport company called me wanting payment. Huh…? I sent the girl a screen shot of the contract. The salesman has blamed
another of their offices yadda yadda….but its starting to be an issue. Ive never bought a car from California so maybe this is just normal timing? Here in SC
if I have the paperwork they print me a title on the spot at any DMV. Anyhoo, just curious of others experiences. Thanks.
Confusing post. What’s your agreement with the dealer? Are they submitting all of the docs to your state or sending them to you? Even though dealers process sales every day, it seems as though out of state deals still create issues - I’ve had three out of state deals in the last year that resulted in 4-6 month title and registration process.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:41 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Confusing post. What’s your agreement with the dealer? Are they submitting all of the docs to your state or sending them to you? Even though dealers process sales every day, it seems as though out of state deals still create issues - I’ve had three out of state deals in the last year that resulted in 4-6 month title and registration process.
like i said….. whats confusing? They sent me a buyers order and a sales agreement, per our discussions. He signed it, i signed it. Sent me the signed paperwork including a bill of sale. Transport picked up a few days later, then delivered the car. I honestly didnt think about it for about 3 weeks. He has been fairly responsive but yet. Im just supposed to get the title, from CA, with my name on it, then ill take the bill of sale to my DMV, register it and get a South Carolina title. I have bought plenty of cars from out of state, just not CA. And then there is the whole transporter didnt get paid thing…….
Old 12-15-2023, 07:19 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

I used to work for both an Audi & Mercedes dealership and my guess is, your car was Floor Planned , so it will take a while to get the Title out to you but if need be, they can keep renewing your Temp Tag.

Stunning GT3 !!! Congrats.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:56 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 132 Posts

A few possible scenarios come to mind regarding the delay in getting your title, some of which might not be relevant without knowing more about your deal structure.

It's possible that the car was a very recent trade-in or possible consignment car, and had an existing lien that needed to be paid for the dealer to get the title. Some lenders really take their time sending out titles and it's not unusual for a lender to take 5-6 weeks, or longer, to release a title. You didn't indicate if you financed the car or not, or if the selling dealer collecting your SC sales tax and registration fees. If so, the dealer is probably having a title service handle your registration, and in most states you won't actually receive the title if there's a lien on the car (some do however, and some issue copies to the registered owner if there's a lien). Even if you paid cash for the car, some dealers collect taxes/fees and insist on handling out-of-state registrations (for god knows what reason). The third-party title services can be a bit of a **** show and add a lot of time to what should be a very straightforward process.

FYI, it's always a good idea to establish the status of the title on any pre-owned vehicle you purchase, even from a franchised dealership. I'd even ask for a copy of the title if they have it, prior to wiring money. Not so much of an issue with a franchised dealer (hopefully not!) but I've seen independent dealers try to sell cars with "jumped" titles, which means the car was never properly registered by a prior owner, thus no legal standing to reassign the title to the selling dealer. You really have to cover all of your bases. The police don't want to have anything to do with these kinds of issues, and even in the case of obvious criminal fraud they'll tell you that this is a civil matter.

I don't think the OP needs to push the panic button at 7 weeks, but the dealership should be able to at least explain the reason for the delay.
The following users liked this post:
Riptide (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:04 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephvman
A few possible scenarios come to mind regarding the delay in getting your title, some of which might not be relevant without knowing more about your deal structure.

It's possible that the car was a very recent trade-in or possible consignment car, and had an existing lien that needed to be paid for the dealer to get the title. Some lenders really take their time sending out titles and it's not unusual for a lender to take 5-6 weeks, or longer, to release a title. You didn't indicate if you financed the car or not, or if the selling dealer collecting your SC sales tax and registration fees. If so, the dealer is probably having a title service handle your registration, and in most states you won't actually receive the title if there's a lien on the car (some do however, and some issue copies to the registered owner if there's a lien). Even if you paid cash for the car, some dealers collect taxes/fees and insist on handling out-of-state registrations (for god knows what reason). The third-party title services can be a bit of a **** show and add a lot of time to what should be a very straightforward process.

FYI, it's always a good idea to establish the status of the title on any pre-owned vehicle you purchase, even from a franchised dealership. I'd even ask for a copy of the title if they have it, prior to wiring money. Not so much of an issue with a franchised dealer (hopefully not!) but I've seen independent dealers try to sell cars with "jumped" titles, which means the car was never properly registered by a prior owner, thus no legal standing to reassign the title to the selling dealer. You really have to cover all of your bases. The police don't want to have anything to do with these kinds of issues, and even in the case of obvious criminal fraud they'll tell you that this is a civil matter.

I don't think the OP needs to push the panic button at 7 weeks, but the dealership should be able to at least explain the reason for the delay.
Thanks for the thoughts. Its a legit dealership with what appears to be a stand up rep so I’ ll give it a bit. They took the car in trade for a Macan and something else I think.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:09 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

like i said….. whats confusing? They sent me a buyers order and a sales agreement, per our discussions. He signed it, i signed it. Sent me the signed paperwork including a bill of sale. Transport picked up a few days later, then delivered the car. I honestly didnt think about it for about 3 weeks. He has been fairly responsive but yet. Im just supposed to get the title, from CA, with my name on it, then ill take the bill of sale to my DMV, register it and get a South Carolina title. I have bought plenty of cars from out of state, just not CA. And then there is the whole transporter didnt get paid thing…….
Originally Posted by josephvman

Confusing or lack of info. Regardless, as stated above and in other posts, there can be many reasons for the ‘delay’. But your SA should be able to tell you what docs to expect and generally when to expect them.

Great looking GT3.
The following users liked this post:
Riptide (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 09:32 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 554 Posts

Like i said, it was beyond expectations.
Gemini blue…..

Quick Reply: Weird Porsche purchase