Sponsored by:

GT3 Tracked or Never Tracked - Benefit or Drawback

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 05:31 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default GT3 Tracked or Never Tracked - Benefit or Drawback

Curious on everyone's thoughts regarding Porsche GT3's for sale and the sellers advertise the vehicle as "never tracked" or "no track mileage". Is the fact that the car was tracked really a bad thing? I mean, Porsche BUILT the car to race on track, right?

On one hand, if an owner is using the car on track, I would think that that car is being serviced more frequently, being inspected more frequently, likely owned by someone who can financially take care of the car appropriately and if something was going to break, it would have happened already.

On the other hand, is a virgin GT3 with no hard mileage on it a better, safer bet for a new buyer? Is the idea that keeping the GT3 as clean and pristine as possible the best way to preserve the car? Are more buyers looking at GT3's as investments now?

My 991.1 GT3 has definitely been on track. Its as close to mint condition as I can keep it. It certainly has cost me more to keep it looking this way, but I wouldn't change anything since I have enjoyed every minute of driving it on and off track. She has been super solid for me with just over 32K on the odo and original F series engine. No issues other than a loose spark plug and a replaced coil pack. Every time the car has gone out, new brakes, new tires, fluids change and oil x-ray. Full inspection.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-31-2023, 05:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Originally Posted by el0designs
Curious on everyone's thoughts regarding Porsche GT3's for sale and the sellers advertise the vehicle as "never tracked" or "no track mileage". Is the fact that the car was tracked really a bad thing? I mean, Porsche BUILT the car to race on track, right?

On one hand, if an owner is using the car on track, I would think that that car is being serviced more frequently, being inspected more frequently, likely owned by someone who can financially take care of the car appropriately and if something was going to break, it would have happened already.

On the other hand, is a virgin GT3 with no hard mileage on it a better, safer bet for a new buyer? Is the idea that keeping the GT3 as clean and pristine as possible the best way to preserve the car? Are more buyers looking at GT3's as investments now?

My 991.1 GT3 has definitely been on track. Its as close to mint condition as I can keep it. It certainly has cost me more to keep it looking this way, but I wouldn't change anything since I have enjoyed every minute of driving it on and off track. She has been super solid for me with just over 32K on the odo and original F series engine. No issues other than a loose spark plug and a replaced coil pack. Every time the car has gone out, new brakes, new tires, fluids change and oil x-ray. Full inspection.

What do you guys think?
Nothing wrong with a car that has been tracked by a good driver who did thorough maintenance.

What’s up with the loose spark plug? Bad threads? Or just had to torque to fix?

Last edited by GrantG; 10-31-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:16 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Personally, I would never consider a 991 GT3 that was not tracked. The track has its way of flushing out problems long before a warranty expires.
The following 7 users liked this post by 991carreradriver:
911rox (11-05-2023), el0designs (11-01-2023), JAhmed (11-01-2023), Larry Cable (11-01-2023), LZRD GRN (11-01-2023), slipaway37 (11-06-2023), ztnedman1 (05-12-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-31-2023, 07:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Some people only buy new cars. Some people only buy cars without paint work. Some people only want cars with one owner. Some people only buy cars with under a certain amount of mileage.

Just like these items, some people only want cars that haven't been on track.

To me, a track car (a car only, or predominantly used on track) is different than someone doing a DE or two per year.

Yes, a car that is taken to the track should be maintained more frequently, but that is because there is also higher risk due to the speeds you're experiencing and the wear on various components, both suspension and drivetrain.

If you're putting two cars next to each other, one with zero track time and one with track time, I think most would take the one without track time. But it's never that simple. I'd buy the best car for me and that car may be the one that has track time. Provided it's in good cosmetic and mechanical condition, that is what matters to me.
The following users liked this post:
konrad h1 (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 12:51 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

I would rather have a car with no track time and good maintenance records. I purchased a 997 GT3 that had been tracked extensively but I had been on track with the car and the seller was my good friend - I knew the car since he purchased it. I knew personally about its maintenance and track history. Some cars are tracked by dudes who treat it like a spirited drive and some people wring the necks of their cars and are dropping wheels off curbs etc. putting hundreds of track miles on per year. I feel less comfortable buying a car that has been tracked if I don’t know the owner. And
of course I am going to take it to the track myself in any case. So they should all be tracked and I wonder about anyone who owns a GT3 but doesn’t track it - but I still want to buy their car used.
Olsdog (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 08:46 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 539 Posts

I always buy cars with the least amount of miles in good shape, do a thorough PPI and try to secure one with a CPO.
Tpup (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:47 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

Yes both a benefit and a drawback for the person tracking it Benefit is fun, drawback is $$

If you looking to buy a car that's been tracked, I was once told by one of my HPDE instructors and it's stuck with me. He said...

Whatever happens on the track today, one thing is for certain, you are NOT increasing the value of your car or it's parts. Wear and tear is a real thing.

So I guess how you fix and who fixes said wear and tear is the important thing.

Old 11-01-2023, 12:27 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Yes both a benefit and a drawback for the person tracking it Benefit is fun, drawback is $$

If you looking to buy a car that's been tracked, I was once told by one of my HPDE instructors and it's stuck with me. He said...

Whatever happens on the track today, one thing is for certain, you are NOT increasing the value of your car or it's parts. Wear and tear is a real thing.

So I guess how you fix and who fixes said wear and tear is the important thing.
Interesting perspective and good advice. My car was tracked before I owned it and always serviced by Porsche with extensive records. I also have been documenting my ownership in the same meticulous manor. I agree, who handles the ongoing service is very important. Personally, I am not worried about resale. If I did sell the car, I would disclose the car has some track history. Based on some of the feedback here along with what I have heard or seen in general on the web, I am guessing that the track history would be taken 50/50 by potential buyers. Some ok. Some not.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:39 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Nothing wrong with a car that has been tracked by a good driver who did thorough maintenance.

What’s up with the loose spark plug? Bad threads? Or just had to torque to fix?
Spark plug likely not tightened by previous service visit. Maybe not torqued enough and it vibrated loose.
GrantG (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 05:54 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 586 Likes on 336 Posts

Track time doesn’t bother me and a good ppi can tell a lot. If the owner is upfront about it / records then that’s a different story vs an unknown.

People can enjoy their cars however they want but I think it’s a pity for people to never track these cars, atleast once just to really understand it / you better.

Whenever someone asks me if I track my car, my answer is always “not as much as I should”. However I’ve heard the “I don’t want to lose value” answer more than not.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 11-01-2023, 07:38 PM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by el0designs
Interesting perspective and good advice. My car was tracked before I owned it and always serviced by Porsche with extensive records. I also have been documenting my ownership in the same meticulous manor. I agree, who handles the ongoing service is very important. Personally, I am not worried about resale. If I did sell the car, I would disclose the car has some track history. Based on some of the feedback here along with what I have heard or seen in general on the web, I am guessing that the track history would be taken 50/50 by potential buyers. Some ok. Some not.
No doubt a tracked car will experience increased wear on most components. Generally, people that take their cars to the track are enthusiasts and are likely to not only maintain it well, but most critically they are likely to keep their cars in a garage and bring it up to temperature properly - perhaps the most important element in engine wear. Maintenance can be documented, temperature ramp can't.

On the 991.1 GT3, it is desirable (necessary even) to have a G6 engine. This generation of GT3s driven on the track are likely to tease out the inherent flaws of the original E and F engine.

Bottom line for me on my 991.1 GT3: You tend to get more value out of a higher than average miles, well maintained car, especially if you can speak directly with the prior owners - I ;tucked out on this one as I spoke with the two prior enthusiast owners. My GT3 has provided me with fundamentally the same experience as a lower mileage car, I drive it any opportunity I can (putting lots of additional miles on it), I track it every opportunity I can and maintain the heck out of it. And when I inevitably sell it, I will likely recover a higher percentage of the money I put into it - had i bought a lower mileage car.

Last edited by konrad h1; 11-01-2023 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by konrad h1:
168glhs1986 (11-01-2023), el0designs (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:04 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

I once sold a BMW factory race car that was serviced by a nationally known company, Bimmerworld. I swear when I sold it, I got more money because they knew it was maintained by the best to the highest standards, which it was.

I guess kind of like if Kelly Moss or the like serviced my Porsche track car. The reputation and name brand of the race / repair shop matters.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Olsdog
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Personally, I would never consider a 991 GT3 that was not tracked. The track has its way of flushing out problems long before a warranty expires.
No offense, but that's just pure nonsense, and I don't think you believe it either. The idea that you or anyone else would "never consider" a car that wasn't tracked , is laughable at best.
The following 2 users liked this post by Olsdog:
168glhs1986 (11-02-2023), Ro_Ja Boy (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 02:40 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

I noticed on my prior Pcars do better when they've been used. When they've been sitting, it seems to more issues with hoses and leaks.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:55 PM
el0designs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
I noticed on my prior Pcars do better when they've been used. When they've been sitting, it seems to more issues with hoses and leaks.
This seems to be consistent with all the sports/ exotic cars. I've had more issues with the cars that sit than with the drivers. Even actuators, gearboxes etc tend to dislike sitting around.

Quick Reply: GT3 Tracked or Never Tracked - Benefit or Drawback