Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Oil Sample Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 02:52 AM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Here is mine. G6 10k km first oil change under my watch.

funny how nearly all of our reports has relatively lower viscosity. I believed the oil is Mobil (dealer serviced) should be 0w40
Old 12-16-2023, 06:55 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
I like how personalized the commentary is on these.
I agree.

Some (supposedly) respected Pcar engine builders knock Blackstone's work but their personalized commentary on each report points to their careful attention to detail and thoroughness in their work, IMHO.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:41 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I agree.

Some (supposedly) respected Pcar engine builders knock Blackstone's work but their personalized commentary on each report points to their careful attention to detail and thoroughness in their work, IMHO.
Is it normal that they classify this motor as a 3.6L? It’s been a long while since a 911 had a 3.6L
Old 12-16-2023, 06:40 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Is it normal that they classify this motor as a 3.6L? It’s been a long while since a 911 had a 3.6L

HAHA

I said personalized not perfect...at least they got the motor size right on most of the reports.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 08:14 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

I think it’s probably a typo but I will raise that issue the next time I send a sample
Old 12-17-2023, 08:39 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

I’ve been doing oil samples for various cars at various times for about 20-25 years. Never really got any results that indicated anything other than I could possibly extend the oil interval from 3k to 5k, or 5k to 7.5k or 7.5k to 10k, etc. depending on the vehicle.

I thinking of not doing them any further since the reports I got from the two oil changes before my .1 original engine spectacularly grenaded were all “looks good”. You'd think some sort of wear items would have started to show up.

Last edited by johnsopa; 12-17-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I’ve been doing oil samples for various cars at various times for about 20-25 years. Never really got any results that indicated anything other than I could possibly extend the oil interval from 3k to 5k, or 5k to 7.5k or 7.5k to 10k, etc. depending on the vehicle.

I thinking of not doing them any further since the reports I got from the two oil changes before my .1 original engine spectacularly grenaded were all “looks good”. You think some sort of wear items would have started to show up.
If you don’t mind, can you post us with your .1 gt3 3.8L reports? I would be interested to see the numbers and how they change gradually over time. How many times and intervals were these done? And when the engine gave way what happened?

thank you for sharing your “ordeal”. It would be great if we can all learn from it.
pjazz (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:56 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m actually sending out my Oil to Black Stone today from my 991.1 to see what they find. I saw some minor shavings I’ve had 3 Cel Lights in the past 3 years but nothing that requires an engine tear down.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:02 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

You saw shavings in the oil that was drained? Or did you cut the filter open? Either way, that's a huge red flag to me.
MUSSBERGER (12-24-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:05 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

You saw shavings in the oil that was drained? Or did you cut the filter open? Either way, that's a huge red flag to me.
on the oil that was drained
Old 12-18-2023, 02:37 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 139 Posts

I thinking of not doing them any further since the reports I got from the two oil changes before my .1 original engine spectacularly grenaded were all “looks good”. You'd think some sort of wear items would have started to show up.
I realize I might not get any indication before my engine blows, but I think having additional proof for the dealer that I regularly maintain my F engine gives me peace of mind. I change my oil myself. I also think it might help with resale for a potential buyer finding this in the service records.
The following 2 users liked this post by pjazz:
Indyxc (12-18-2023), johnsopa (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 02:40 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjazz
I realize I might not get any indication before my engine blows, but I think having additional proof for the dealer that I regularly maintain my F engine gives me peace of mind. I change my oil myself. I also think it might help with resale for a potential buyer finding this in the service records.
Can't argue with this. It's probably at least subconscious a part of why I do it, as well.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:38 AM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Adding to the oil analysis. This last run I had a few hard track days. Looks like the engine prefers being run hard.

Indyxc (06-04-2024)
Old Today, 11:19 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 139 Posts

So here's the last oil analysis for my F engine before it failed. Went into limp mode at my first event of the year at COTA. on the first hot lap. Guess I should be happy. In hindsight I think being track driven I should have gone with the 5w 50 due to the loss in viscosity. I'll also add that while I was getting the oil sample I didn't get enough oil from the pan and poured in some from the oil filter. New engine is in the process of being installed.

Last edited by pjazz; Today at 11:25 AM.
Indyxc (Today)
Old Today, 01:20 PM
wootloops
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have yet to do an analysis of my new-to-me 991.1 GT3. However, the car is at the dealer right now getting a G6 put in.

I think its clear that M1 0W40 is not a great oil choice for GT cars, especially the 991.1 with the FF wear risks. I live in Florida so high temps compound the M1 0W40 shear issues. I run Mobil1 FS X2 5w50 in my 981 cayman that is tracked. I will likely switch to that after engine break-in on the 991.1 when I get it back and run it until the engine warranty ends in January.

Once the warranty is up, Mobil 1 Supercar 5W50 is something that caught my eye. It's designed for the C8 Corvette Z06. Here's a quick blurb from an article describing the Z06 valvetrain:

The goal of the valvetrain was to end up with a rigid design that minimized moving mass and provided for stable and precise high-speed valve actuation. The LT6 isn't hydraulic since such a system couldn't handle the high-rpm demands. Instead, it uses a mechanical system that employs robotically-installed high-grade steel lash caps that require no maintenance interval. The finger followers are highly polished with a diamond-like carbon coating
Sure sounds awfully familiar... if you remove LT6 from that paragraph you'd think they were describing the 991.1 GT3 engine. GM must have gotten some inspiration (and maybe overlooked the FF failure issues Porsche had to deal with, whoops)

Here is a comparison of the two 5W50 Mobil1 Oils from BITOG forums

Seems the additives in the GM "Supercar" version of the oil have more additives specifically for the sake of protecting the valvetrain (extra Molybdenum and ZDPP). Compared to the Mobil1 Porsche oils, they did not appear to be formulated for the GT engines at all and were shared with all of the other Flat-6 motors that revved lower and didn't have the temperamental valvetrain (I understand there is the new 0W40 C40-GT spec oil, but it doesn't look much better on paper than the old standard A40/C40 spec oils did).

Not sure if it makes sense to switch to this, but either way it's interesting that GM seemed to put more thought into oil formulation for their high revving engine with finger-followers than Porsche did. By no means am I saying that the FF wear would have been solved by oil alone, but I'm sure that didn't help the situation.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Oil Sample Results Thread