Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 brake squeal even without brake input?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 08:27 PM
gaspasser92
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 GT3 brake squeal even without brake input?

Just picked up a 991.2 GT3 with PCCBs. They make noise under light braking which I know is normal.

However, it seems like it is also making the same sound when I'm basically idling forward at extremely slow speed and even sometimes while turning at slow speed without pressing the brake at all.

The noise without any input is what confuses me. Also some of the noise under braking is not a straight consistent squeal but rather what sounds like a "rhythmic" noise that lines up with the rotation of the wheel. Is that the normal squeal as well? I thought most of the brake noise with these was just a constant squeal not something like that.

Also wonder what changed between these GT3 and the 718 spyder/GT4 as my spyder doesn't make any noise at all with the PCCBs
Old 10-03-2023, 10:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Maybe you have a stone stuck between the brake caliper and wheel?
Old 10-04-2023, 12:22 AM
famoruwa
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

A good hand wheel wash and rotor rinse usually solves the problem
Old 10-04-2023, 12:42 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Agree, there maybe something stuck there. You’ll find hard rock like build up (deposits) on the wheels sometimes that you can flick off with your finger. That space is so tight. Easy way to check for this is to look at the inner barrel. If you see a circle around the inner portion of the wheel that could be the culprit. Also, when the rock is big enough and gets stuck it’s enough to make your hear stop for a second. If the windows are down it is a terrible loud noise and is quite alarming.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Maybe you have a stone stuck between the brake caliper and wheel?
Old 10-04-2023, 08:40 AM
gaspasser92
Rennlist Member

Didn't notice anything on the rotors that were facing outward, couldn't see the rotors facing inward. I reversed and braked kinda hard a few times to try and dislodge anything so maybe that helped.

Cars and coffee this saturday at the dealer so hopefully one of the techs is there as well and I caj have them try to eye ball anything.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:47 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Just to clarify, this won't be visible on the rotors. You definitely don't want anything damaging those. Instead, referring to the common occurrence where rocks, or anything small enough, gets stuck between the outside of the brake caliper and the inner barrel of the wheel. If you were to visit a dealer or better yet a high-performance shop that services a lot of GT cars...you may find that most carry a mark on the inner barrel from something getting lodged. It is very common unfortunately.

Originally Posted by gaspasser92
Didn't notice anything on the rotors that were facing outward, couldn't see the rotors facing inward. I reversed and braked kinda hard a few times to try and dislodge anything so maybe that helped.

Cars and coffee this saturday at the dealer so hopefully one of the techs is there as well and I caj have them try to eye ball anything.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:34 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 282 Posts

Most likely:

Old 10-04-2023, 08:27 PM
gaspasser92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret

Not likely due to it happening without the brakes being applied. A pad shouldn't be vibrating against the rotor with no brake application...
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (10-05-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 07:16 AM
gaspasser92
Rennlist Member

Update in case anyone has the same issue with the noise without any brake input:

Sprayed the **** out of the wheels/brakes with a hose yesterday and did my best to get around back of the caliper. Has stopped for now.

Didn't notice anything get dislodged so who knows. Could have been dust but would be weird since it was happening with no brake use 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 brake squeal even without brake input?